Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 AM   #91
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
There has been movement at the station on at least part of this story

ACCC is submitting a new regulation to the Federal Minister for signing which, wait for it, will update

Consumer Directive 9 which at the moment is so out of date that the last minister to sign was Senator Tate in December 1990.
The ACCC has been a little remiss one might say in keeping the regulations up to date.

Basically this regulation sets out what standard helmets must meet to be legal to sell in Australia, It is so out of date it does not point to any current standard or take into account the NZ free trade agreement. It points to a 1988 version of AS1698

To top off the above, the issue of each state going off in their own direction & having different & in some cases out of date regulations has been listed as an agenda item for the next meeting of State & Federal Transport Ministers. ie COAG

The general consensus is basically that at a fine technical legal perspective it is probably not legal to travel across state boundaries with our helmets due to the state regulation differences. The consensus came from a surprisingly high governmental level.

So you can see the glacier is moving at glacial speed but is finally moving

If anyone is of a mind to fire off an odd angry shot to ACCC, State or federal pollies it would be appreciated. Post em here please

ACCC will deflect the complaint initially but it is a clear restraint of trade to not be able to legally travel across state boundaries & so they have no choice but to accept the complaint and hold it open until the situation is resolved if you are insistent and respond to any emails expressing your dis satisfaction with their response.

Just for the amusement value note the current Vic regulation on what helmets are legal to use in Vic, It was signed in November 2009 and sets the standard as Australian Standard AS 1698–1988, a standard 20 years out of date.

GEORGE MAVROYENI, Executive Director, Road Safety and Network Access, Roads Corporation VIC would be a good recipient of the odd complaint or two for his grasp & knowledge of the modern world.

WayneC1 screwed with this post 02-15-2012 at 03:01 AM
Old 06-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #92
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
This is a legal helmet on our roads:

http://shop.peterstevens.com.au/NXCN...s-Black/pd.php

This isnt:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Arai-VX-3...ht_1201wt_1396

Remarkable
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #93
mudmaps
Aussie World Traveller

Oddometer: 152
I don't have a copy of The Constitution handy but I do recall something about freedom of trade between the states that allows, for example, a vehicle registered in 1 state to be legally taken across the border into another state without harassment.

I would imagine a helmet would fall into the same category, meaning that if you have a helmet that is legal in your state then you can take it interstate.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:12 AM   #94
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Yes, that is the case and the ACCC has conceded that it is probably illegal to cross state borders wearing some helmets due to differences in state legislation/regulations, we are always on business when crossing borders ?

It also has implications for delivery and other companies whose staff cross state borders on insurance & OHS issues
which means the potential to dispute accident claims when staff are injured

All up it is an issue which needs resolution and the ACCC has indicated they will resolve it with new regs to the Minister & raising it at the COAG transport Ministers gab fest.

We need to push them though
Old 07-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #95
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,182
To be honest, i have not read the whole thread and maybe it was stated somewhere- I apologise.

I'm heading to NZ in Feb for sport and planning to do some touring whilst over there. Several options exist, but one is to not take my helmet over, but buy one there and bring it back after the trip as I'm in the market for a new hood anyway. I see Airoh SX4 appears to be cheaper over there. But from some of the comments in this thread I have read- the sticker is not a requirement in NZ? So will the helmet have a sticker on if I buy it over there?

Squily
Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #96
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
I see Airoh SX4 appears to be cheaper over there. But from some of the comments in this thread I have read- the sticker is not a requirement in NZ? So will the helmet have a sticker on if I buy it over there?
The standard is AS-NZ 1698. I figured the NZ bit was for NZ?
Please explain?

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
Old 07-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #97
Squily
Squily

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripodtiger View Post
The standard is AS-NZ 1698. I figured the NZ bit was for NZ?
Please explain?

Yes, that's what I'm confused about. I figured NZ must 'require' the sticker as Australia, but a few years back I tried to replace my Airoh DS (which I brought out with me when I moved here) with the S4, but was told they don't sell them in Australia and I could personally import one without the sticker (this was in an email I sent to Airoh Italy).

Yet, they're sold by a number of shops in NZ (now) as road-helmets.

Which sort of leave two options:
  1. They don't have a sticker and don't need one in NZ
  2. They do have a sticker and if I buy one over there, it would be legal for me to use it on Aus.
Either way, there are other options too, but in short- if I buy a 'road' helmet in NZ- will it have a sticker on it?

And incidentally, none of my other hoods I brought out (which include two BMW ones) had stickers on them and I've never had any hassles, but better safe than sorry...

Squily
Old 07-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #98
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
No. NZ helmets don't come with a sticker. I moved over to Aussie 4 years ago with a non stickered helmet. Pulled over a few times, never had any trouble with not having it.

The standard of manufacture is common between the 2 countries. From what I can tell NZ requires the seller to make sure the helmet measures up, while Aussie requires the wearer to possess the sticker.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #99
Squily
Squily

Thanks Marlboroughlad

What I wanted to know, but not what I wanted to hear necessarily...

Still figure, for the price of hoods over there, it might be better for me to splash out rather than drag along. Like the variety as well.

Squily
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #100
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post
No. NZ helmets don't come with a sticker. I moved over to Aussie 4 years ago with a non stickered helmet. Pulled over a few times, never had any trouble with not having it.

The standard of manufacture is common between the 2 countries. From what I can tell NZ requires the seller to make sure the helmet measures up, while Aussie requires the wearer to possess the sticker.

Is there anything on the label inside the helmets in NZ?

The sticker is no more or less an indicator of complying with the standard than the statement of the fact on the inside label. Only difference is that the label may wear off and you have to take the helmet off to show the nice policeman that it's approved.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #101
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Wonder if these would be legal in Oz?
http://www.quirky.com/products/249-S...c3b1f6409c80de
Old 07-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #102
marlboroughlad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Tripod tiger

Yes, I think so. Most things that have to meet a manufacturing or safety standard in NZ usually have to have the standards mark on a label or sewn in the lining somewhere. I would go look at my old Shoei but I threw it out last week.

Whether or not that standards mark would satisfy an Aussie policeman, I don't know.

If you want me to ask the question about the S mark on kiwi rider.co.nz forum I can.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #103
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboroughlad View Post

It's would be pretty rare to get your helmet checked for a sticker if your wearing a mainstream looking helmet. . However if your riding a chopped Harley and wearing a black beanie helmet, different story.

If you get asked about your helmet not having a sticker, just go into a long winded story about how your kids were playing with it and picked it off and your missus wont let you spend another thousand bucks on a new helmet just because this one no longer has a sticker when she's been waiting two years for new carpet in the lounge that the kids spilled paint on but now your boss has cut back your hours and you think that the missus might be having an affair with the bloke at the carpet shop the same one that you think got your eldest daughter pregnant and your losing the plot because you can't ride your bike because you have no sticker on your helmet and your son and his mate just burned your shed down trying to make something they read about on the internet and hocked the computer you need for work to buy the materials for and the neighbours suing you because his house went down with it and it's all too much and rather than go postal you went for a ride instead sticker or no sticker and your sorry.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #104
Squily
Squily

Only time anyone ever looked at my helmet was when I when I went for my license- and the dude just told me what good quality BMW helmets were (no stickker on it) and when I claimed from the insurance after my fall last year- but that one had a sticker.

I think mostly coppers are not out to give you a hard time, but what goes round, comes round (i.e. if you treat them like pricks, they return the favour).

But you hear all these stories of insurance companies defrauding on payments because of 'the sticker' and I owe it to my family not to place them in that position I guess. Decisions, decisions

Squily
Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #105
Nandewar
Sound sound the clarion

Oddometer: 276
A bloke got booked here in Narrabri a few months ago for an illegal helmet. He was giving charity rides on his harly with an el cheapo helmet bought of fleabay. It was a full face in the shape of a skull so he was asking for trouble as it certainly stood out. The paper didn't say whether it was the rider or the paying passenger wearing it.
Closed Thread