ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Bill Murray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Garmin BaseCamp Library File

I have recently made the (painful) transition from Mapsource to BaseCamp. I found BaseCamp to be much less intuitive to use in comparison to Mapsource, and I am a very experienced computer user. That said, rather than debate the advantages and disadvantages of Mapsourrce versus BaseCamp, I want to ask my fellow inmates who are using BaseCamp how you are organizing your BaseCamp Library file.

Are you segregating all your tracks into a Tracks folder, all your routes into a Routes folder, all your waypoints into a Waypoints folder, and/or your trips-specific data (routes, waypoints, and tracks) into trip-specific folders, etc.? Or are you a minimalist and prefer to keep only your current working information in your Library, instead storing your data in one or more external data files or BC backup files and importing only what you need to plan a particular trip/ride? It seems clear that Garmin's BC design philosophy was for us to keep all our data in the one Library that BaseCamp supports, but I know that some users have indicated that they have found it more effective to do otherwise.
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 652
The only thing I keep in BaseCamp are the projects I'm currently working on. I use the backup function to save different data configurations to a cloud drive and download from the cloud back to a computer as needed. For example, the trip I'm currently working on is a re-visit to Italy so my starting point is the track logs and waypoint file from my previous trip. If I start working on a local back roads project I backup my current data set and start with my "BackRoads" backup. Most of these backups are legacy MapSource files that I've imported into BaseCamp, organized to utilize BaseCamps features and then backed up. Once I backup in both .gbd and .gpx format I delete my entire collection and start anew. In short I use the backup function as a file system.

I've found BaseCamp sluggish on my older MacBook Air if the data file is too large. The other reason I do this is housekeeping. It's too easy to end up with a lot of useless stuff in the "Collection" if you're not meticulous about deleting waypoints and routes that are no longer needed.

The Weather in my Backyard

Steve W screwed with this post 10-19-2011 at 07:09 AM
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #3
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,335
I use BaseCamp to it's fullest when it comes to managing my data. It is a database implementation. But, if you treat it like a file based system (MapSource) you will probably see little value in BC - more likely you will do more work for less value.

The real difficulty in your question lies in the fact that BC-Windows doesn't support a few of the database features that BC-Mac does. I hope that changes with the next release (v3.3) but who knows.

To your questions, I use BC-Mac and all of it's nested List Folder's and List's to organize my data by Event. All of the data for that Event is in a List within an Event sub-Folder labeled appropriately. All of my Event Folder's are then rolled up into an appropriate Event top-level Folder. This nested Folder approach allows me to quickly and easily locate data as well as segregate Event data using Smart List's (you don't have them in BC-Win).

A Smart List is a "Filter" that lets you "collect" objects by various criteria. For example, if I want to collect into a List all of the geotagged photos from an Event I simply create a Smart List with a filter of Photos + Event List Name. This Smart List is just a copy of the List object's Names, so you are not making duplicates of the List objects in the Smart List. In other words, there is only one Photo-A123 in My Collection but it may be referenced or "used" in several Events.

I've taken the above approach for several reasons:
  1. It allows me to see my Event data as a "collective" or "individulaly" by some Filter.
  2. By using List's, I will be able to take advantage of similar features coming to the newer Garmin GPS's.
  3. I get an automatic backup of my data (auto-save).
  4. By using the copy approach to sharing data between Events (Lists), I maintain the link to the original data. If the original data changes - so does the copy.

I could go on but that covers the basics.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
I use trip specific project folders. I have a project folder called 'Rideabout1World', then under it, one for 'Mexico' , 'Belize', etc. Then each of those folders contains the routes, tracks and way point files for that related country. As I wish to modify these files I import them into the library, when I'm done I save (export) them back.

I don't use the 'Send To' function to send routes, tracks and way points to the GPS, but rather copy the *.gpx file that contains them into the ?:\Garmin\GPX directory on the gps. Then delete it when I don't need it anymore. I hate seeing tons of way points, routes or tracks I don't need. Things start to get cluttered.

Give Basecamp a chance. I had my doubts too, but I like it now. Garmin has added features to it after I started using it to make it better. Like the ability to convert a route to a track. I have it installed on two desktops and a netbook. I installed a SD card into my Garmin 62s and that's where the gps files I'm working on are stored. I use it like a flash drive. This allows me to move from a desk top computer to the netbook as I need too.

A great source for free routable international maps is here: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Hope this helps. It may sound like brute force, but it works for me!

daryl
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
Bill Murray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
dlh62c/Daryl:
Regaring your feedback urging me to give BaseCamp a chance, let me clarify that I have made the switch to only using BaseCamp. Until now, I have been a devoted Mapsource user. I had become accustomed to most of Mapsource's quirks and learned how to software programs like GPSBabel, WinGDB, and UnFlag to deal with those quirks and extend Mapsource's functionality. That said, I struggled through the BaseCamp learning curve. I wish the Basecamp Wiki tutorial prepare dby Dave and Jeff over on ZumoForums.com had been available while I trying to learn BaseCamp -- it would have been a great help.

The problem you mentioned with the 'Send To' function is one I have not encountered, although for many of my trip files, I tend to export the route and waypoints to a .gpx file that I ten load on my Zumo's SD card. You have an interesting idea about using your GPS unit's SD card for a central file Library between a desktop and netbook. I also have been usign BaseCamp on both a desktop and a netbook. I usually take the netbook with me on trips. I have been using BaseCamp's backup file as an easy way to transfer my latest Library to the netbook before leaving on a trip.

DRTBYK/Dan:
I was not aware that the Mac version of BaseCamp supports nested Library folders. Using nested folders would improve the organization of routes, waypoints, and tracks associated with a specific event. The "Smart List" feature would also be very useful. Being familiar with the "collections" concept from other programs like Adobe Lightroom, Smart Filters would be a great tool for filtering items in a large BC Library. I hope these features will be provided soon to Windows-BaseCamp users.

SteveW:
As I mentioned above, I use a netbook when traveling which has BaseCamp installed. Storing your BaseCamp data file in the cloud is an excellent idea. I may have to consider loading to my BaseCamp data file to my Dropbox folder, as a backup way of accessing the data during a trip. I do keep some information (mostly some POI files I am developing) in an offline BaseCamp data file rather than in my main BaseCamp Library.

Your hardware could definitely make a difference in the responsiveness of BaseCamp. Since my BaseCamp Library is stored on my SSD drive on my desktop and I also use an SSD in my netbook, I suspect that I am not seeing the same responsiveness issues you mentioned. I am willing to bet that the Garmin programmers have made some assumptions about users having better hardware in the future and that those design assumptions may be influencing the responsiveness of the program for current users who are running older hardware.

Bill Murray
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 AM   #6
dlh62c
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
dlh62c/Daryl:
The problem you mentioned with the 'Send To' function is one I have not encountered, although for many of my trip files, I tend to export the route and waypoints to a .gpx file that I ten load on my Zumo's SD card. You have an interesting idea about using your GPS unit's SD card for a central file Library between a desktop and netbook. I also have been usign BaseCamp on both a desktop and a netbook. I usually take the netbook with me on trips. I have been using BaseCamp's backup file as an easy way to transfer my latest Library to the netbook before leaving on a trip.
Bill Murray
There isn't a problem with the 'Send To' function that I know of. I use it all the time.

I have a *.gpx file that contains around 1000 UNESCO World Heritage sites scattered throughout the world, but I'm only interested in Mexico because that's where I may be at. So I create a new list called 'Mexico UNESCO Sites' and use the "Send To' function to transfer only the Mexico sites. Then drag and drop the exported file (Mexico UNESCO Sites.gpx) into the /Garmin/GPX directory on the GPS. Using this approach I can move way points, routes and tracks as a collective group.

On the SD card I added a directory called '/Garmin', here I can place the downloaded OSM image file, 'gmapsupp.img', for Mexico. When I connect my GPS to the computer, Basecamp sees it when it loads. The GPS sees it as well. I have image files for other country's stored there too. I can move them around as I need them. I also use the SD card in the GPS to store various user manuals.

daryl

dlh62c screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 04:04 AM
dlh62c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
On the SD card I added a directory called '/Garmin', here I can place the downloaded OSM image file, 'gmapsupp.img', for Mexico. When I connect my GPS to the computer, Basecamp sees it when it loads. The GPS sees it as well. I have image files for other country's stored there too. I can move them around as I need them. I also use the SD card in the GPS to store various user manuals.

daryl
I too have recently switched to BC from MS and I like BC windows better than MS for many reasons.

One reason is that I can now use the Canada Topo on the Oregon to plan trips. I have been using the Ibycus Topo on my computer, but the greater details of the Canada Topo is better for planning.

I too have several 'gmapsupp.img' image files on a mirco sd on my Oregon 450T, but I have yet to find a way to view them thru BaseCamp. My SD card shows up in BC, but none of the *img files are recognized by BC.

How do you view the *.img files on an SD card, OR is this a Garmin locked or unlocked *.img issue?
Old 10-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMtnSea View Post
How do you view the *.img files on an SD card, OR is this a Garmin locked or unlocked *.img issue?
I posted the solution to that problem here.

It's got nothing to do with locks, and I'm not really sure why it happens, but you can fix it with GMapTool, as described in my post.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
OceanMtnSea
Pretty Dogged

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I posted the solution to that problem here.

It's got nothing to do with locks, and I'm not really sure why it happens, but you can fix it with GMapTool, as described in my post.

Thx!.......................before I was blind, but now I can see!