MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #92
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hecho, Andres! Ganador!
There are still some of those cats around your pueblo. I saw one near Laguna de Farfan. I had followed the Pepsi truck into the town early one morning and then turned and was heading back out towards the La Esperanza/Plan del Flor/Juicheque road. I came around a curve and there was a little one to my right that was going after something, it was right near the fence in the photo below and maybe the hawk in the photo (look real carefully) was going for the same thing. So I threw out the anchor and was trying to get my helmet up, my gloves off, and my cel phone (for use as a camera) out all at once while I am trying my best Jedi mind trick to get the little guy to strike up a nice pose for me, and...ya se fue! So I ended up with a picture of the fence, ching...! However, I looked over into the field behind the fence and just out of the frame of the picture was a large four legged animal that I recognized immediately which gave me the moral of the story...which is...there is more than one buey to skin a cat ja,ja!
Bad jokes and missed pictures aside, did your abuelito ever tell you the story of the time it "rained money" in Chiconquiaco? If not, PM me and I will send you the PDF, it's an interesting piece of history.
Hehehe great i'm the winner, many times Don Pablo Gomez tell me the amazing story about the " Rained money" that happen in EL CERRO DEL BORREGO when a plane crash with a lot of money from BANCO DE MEXICO, many people load burros with bags full of money, so hell yea it's a interesting piece of the history on the region, in fact today some people still rich thanks to the crashed plane, and about the beautiful pic with the hawk in the sky, all this lands are property of my family (todo lo que ves es mio!!) and some times my cousins and uncles look Onzas, Deers, Ant-eaters, Owls and many animals, i think is a paradise today!! please send me the PDF with the story by e-mail!! thanks Amigo!!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #93
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,927
Sure thing! But Arte is going to have to play cartero as I lost your email address but found Arte's so I sent it to him and hopefully he can get it to you. I would post it here but it is a long story, about 20 pages or so but very well written and a great read. I always thought it would make a great movie!
That is a beautiful part of the world, I remember the first time I ever passed the little police building/bus stop and instead of going up into Plan de las Hayas I went to La Esperanza. I enjoy that area a lot. I remember laughing a little bit when I realized the town was called La Esperanza (the Hope) and it is sitting right smack dab in the middle of that big geological fault line! Almost as if they were saying, "we HOPE there isn't a big earthquake"! I really hope I can get a chance to meet all the family of yours there and listen to some of the stories. It is a shame that so many people here in the urban areas don't get out and see just how much their state has to offer, areas like La Esperanza are the "alma verdadera" of this part of the world!
Check your PM.

MikeMike screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 07:17 PM
Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #94
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Quote:
Sure thing! But Arte is going to have to play cartero as I lost your email address but found Arte's so I sent it to him and hopefully he can get it to you. I would post it here but it is a long story, about 20 pages or so but very well written and a great read. I always thought it would make a great movie!
That is a beautiful part of the world, I remember the first time I ever passed the little police building/bus stop and instead of going up into Plan de las Hayas I went to La Esperanza. I enjoy that area a lot. I remember laughing a little bit when I realized the town was called La Esperanza (the Hope) and it is sitting right smack dab in the middle of that big geological fault line! Almost as if they were saying, "we HOPE there isn't a big earthquake"! I really hope I can get a chance to meet all the family of yours there and listen to some of the stories. It is a shame that so many people here in the urban areas don't get out and see just how much their state has to offer, areas like La Esperanza are the "alma verdadera" of this part of the world!
Check your PM.
Thanks por tus palabras!!

Maybe in December Amigo!!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #95
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,175
Pues vayan a La Chingada..
Attached Images

Old 11-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #96
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, been there before, Wheezy.
There is also another one that few people know about near the ranch where Bill Haley lived. His daughter, Gina, was born here in 1975.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #97
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,500
Quote:
Check your PM.
There are really good stories from Andre's family related when they started with the coffee business at la esperanza.

That ride to Cofre de Perote is a must.

Next time we should carry a metal detector, just in case there are still some coins

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #98
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

You'll probably find a few pesos that fell from my pockets and some amalgams from my teeth on the upper section of the trail, let's just say it sure isn't like a billiard table!
Old 11-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #99
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post

JAJAJAJAJAJAJA , Some day my friend, and i hope join us!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 05:51 PM   #100
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
With pleasure!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #101
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Damn, you were really close to me, "El Chico" is one of my favorite places!

I guess we'll meet some other time out there in the road
Süsser Tod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #102
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
We could not go there, since we were late the first day.

We camped right after JACALA, near "Puerto Los Frijoles" then rode by "Apizaco" next day.

Weazy you can explain better this albur to the ones that might not get it.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 04:46 PM
Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #103
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Trippin'

I've been going into Mexico for the last 20 years, usually twice a year, on mission trips to the state of San Luis Potosi. We go about 40 miles south of Valles near a place called Aquismon. It is indeed beautiful and we often have a chance (we call it a play day) when our work is done to visit the local scenery. Tamul, Tomasopa, Xilitla, and Sotanos de los Golondrinas are all within driving distance of where we do our mission work.
Also been down to Veracruz and on down to Chiapas and into the Central American countries.
One day, (it's on my bucket list) I'll get to take a ride down into Mexico on a bike instead of a church van, maybe even cutting across the Yucatan to the Caribbean.
Enjoyed the report and seeing some of the places I have seen and many more I haven't.
Thanks for sharing.
Rick Thompson

a link to one of my trip reports - http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/...&key=&#1039495
John 3:16

terrapinneck screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 09:56 AM Reason: I type like a talk, from LA - Lower Arkansas
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #104
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinneck View Post
I've been going into Mexico for the last 20 years, usually twice a year, on mission trips to the state of San Luis Potosi. We go about 40 miles south of Valles near a place called Aquismon. It is indeed beautiful and we often have a chance (we call it a play day) when our work is done to visit the local scenery. Tamul, Tomasopa, Xilitla, and Sotanos de los Golondrinas are all within driving distance of where we do our mission work.
Also been down to Veracruz and on down to Chiapas and into the Central American countries.
One day, (it's on my bucket list) I'll get to take a ride down into Mexico on a bike instead of a church van, maybe even cutting across the Yucatan to the Caribbean.
Enjoyed the report and seeing some of the places I have seen and many more I haven't.
Thanks for sharing.
Rick Thompson

a link to one of my trip reports - http://forums.locogringo.com/forums/...&key=&#1039495

Hi Rick, hope you can ride soon down there on yor bike. Last year we did ride to Huasteca Potosina, to those places you know already. I'll never get tired to return there..
here is a link to that trip:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591641

Arte

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #105
terrapinneck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Link

Enjoyed those pics immensely. I've never been on top of Tamul before, we always start down river and rent a long boat and paddle up to the falls. In your pics there is a big rock in the river below the falls, that is where we tie up for group shots and usually a snack before heading back down the river (which is much easier). We also stop on the way back to swim in a cenote like cavern that is just a short hike from the river.
I've seen that restaurant "Curva" before but we have never stopped, I think we will if we ever get a chance to again.
This is the first year in many that our group has not went to Mexico, the possibility of danger has made the powers that be to just wait and see.
So in the meantime, planning to go back to Bolivia in February on another mission trip, wish I could bring my bike.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7373325&type=3
John 3:16
terrapinneck is offline   Reply With Quote