User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Southern Boyz Invade Colorado....

I'm a little late on the RR, but my buddies really wanted me to post up, so I decided to oblige......many of our pics will look familiar, due to being in the same areas that so many have visited before us, but oh well, hope you enjoy!!!

Well, it started off as a possible TAT trip for about 4 of my friends and I, but ended up being a road trip for 3 of us, and the other 2 (husband and wife) would hit the TAT and meet us in Ouray, Co. We decided due to time restraints between the 3 of us, that we would trailer the bikes up to Ouray, and try and attack as many passes and jeep trails as possible during our stay there....

My 2 buddies left Birmingham, AL. headed south to Lafayette, La. to pick me up on August 7th, we did some bike prep for the trip, and loaded up and took off on August 8th.....

The crew and bikes.....

DR650 = Fish
DR350 = Ben
CRF450X = Steven (Me)

Hitting the road after work, have to drive at night due to the nice 115F heat index........

Oh, please ignore the date/time stamp, my camera would not accept the setting change for some reason, damn refurbished camera!!

The next morning......still driving.......Ben saluting.......

Woke the sleeping bear....

Finally getting into New Mexico.....

Stopped for lunch outside of Albuquerque.....

Some background on the Squidward toy.......a buddy from work (Scardino) wanted to come on this trip, but his wife said.... NO!! So his little girl gave him this toy from a Happy Meal, and we made sure he was their in spirit, I call him a squid all the time, so it all works out...... (Look for it in some of the pics...)

We stopped in Aztec, NM. for the night, since we I warned my buddies that they dont want to drive the Million Dollar Highway at night, pulling a trailer, no less.....

Next morning we hit Durango for supplies, then off to Ouray, Co......some scenery just before getting into Silverton....

Our other 2 friends from B'ham......Jay and Erica, decided to meet us in Silverton via the TAT. After our hello's were done, they followed us up into Ouray...... We arrive at our destination...the 4J+1+1 RV Campground to setup base camp.....

Jay and Erica's bikes are to the left there, the KLX250 and the XR650L....

My home away from home......

We were hungry, so off to lunch.....

Sounds good enough........

Nice view.......

Bacon wrapped brat with a Left Hand Brewing Black Jack Porter.......

We decided to take a "test" run, just to see what we will be up against....its not my first time in the area, but first time on a dirtbike, and our buddy Fish had never been to Colorado, so we wanted to crawl before we walked.... The Imogene Pass trail is right off the main road leaving town, so we decided to take a romp up the trail a bit......

Already seeing some awesome scenery....... (I had a cheap refurbished 8MP camera, so sorry about the crappy pics....)

Some familiar scenery.....

Yours truly....

Ben

Fish

We stopped at the Imogene Pass / Yankee Boy Basin split, and decided to turn around for the day, and get a good nights sleep so we can attack the Alpine Loop in the morning....

I have some more pics from our other cameras of the first day, but I have to resize them first, so I will work on that for tomorrows update..........

Southern Boyz invade Colorado
zzlejeune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Some more pics of our 1st day.......

Old 09-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Our 2nd day started with 4 of us heading to the Alpine Loop section, Jay's wife, Erica, decided to sit this one out.......

Looking back on the entire week of riding, the upper part of the entrance to the Alpine Loop was rougher than most trails.....I'm at home in the mud and flat surfaces, the inclines with large loose rocks was definitely a new experience...

Checking out where we had to go....

View from the tent....

Squidino staying warm...

Taking a break after bouncing up the mountain....

Ben bumming a tie-wrap to keep his DR from falling apart.....

Almost up to Engineer Pass....

It was higher before the pass.........

It was kind of funny, Jay and I were in the back of the group, Ben and Fish in the front, and they just pass up the Engineer Pass sign and kept going, they didn't even see it, we tried to blow the horns, but the wind was howling...

Jay and the XR

On our way down to Lake City....

Lunch in Lake City @ "Southern Vittles", being from the south, we had to check this place out....... Old fashion Dr. Pepper was good, and the Catfish Po-Boy wasn't bad at all, by buddy Ben had a Chicken Fried Steak that hung off the edge of the plate, and damn tasty...... (sorry, no food pic... :( )

Off to Cinnamon Pass....

And I'm glad we took a pic of this........no one would have believed it.....

The wildlife....

Down to Silverton.....

We took the short route back to Silverton and slabbed it to Ouray, so we missed Corkscrew pass, we'll have to hit it next year.....

End of Day #2

Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Day #3 was intended to be a easy day, so we planned to hit Ophir Pass, make our way to Alta Lakes, then on to Telluride, then take the Last Dollar Road north to loop back through Ridgeway then on to Ouray....

We made our way through Last Dollar Road, and hit the halfway mark and met up with Mark and Scott? (Big Dog Adventures) Glad to meet you guys, and glad you made it back safe........ (Sorry no pics of the guys, we were in hunger mode, speeding to Ridgeway for grub!!)

End of Day #3

Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
It was good to meet you guys there on Last Dollar rd.

It looks like you guys had a Fantastick ride also!!!!

Loved that pic of the minivan on Cinnamon pass!!!......(I rode that last year)

Thanks for sharing

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,563
Excellent invasion!! Great pics.. and superb riding! Some of those passes look very familiar having just returned from there!! Thanks for the report and pics.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #7
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed
It was good to meet you guys there on Last Dollar rd.

It looks like you guys had a Fantastick ride also!!!!

Loved that pic of the minivan on Cinnamon pass!!!......(I rode that last year)

Thanks for sharing

Scott
Looks like you guys had a hell of a ride also, can't wait to be able to experience that myself.......sorry we didn't stick around longer to chit chat!

When we peaked at the pass.....I just couldn't believe it, that was not one of the easiest passes to get up to...... I know I hit my skid plate twice going up, so he had to go down the same spot, hope he made it down ok.......

Old 09-11-2010, 04:46 AM   #8
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Excellent invasion!! Great pics.. and superb riding! Some of those passes look very familiar having just returned from there!! Thanks for the report and pics.
Thanks GB, it was quite the experience, we plan to make it a annual event, or at least get there via the TAT.............next time.

One more day of riding to post up........my Black Bear Pass Experience....

Old 09-11-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Day #4.......

Jay and Erika had to head back home to B'ham via the TAT, so they took off to be able to make it back in time to get back to work...

So it was just the 3 of us left, and we decided to tackle the infamous steps on Black Bear Pass........ First we slabbed it down 550 to the South Mineral Campground area to head up to Clear Lake, then we would come back down then hit the Black Bear Pass trailhead, then make our way back to Ouray from Telluride, someway, somehow....

Heading up to Clear Lake....

Ben.....stopping to smell the flowers.....

Clear Lake

On our way to Black Bear Pass....

The section right before this pic was pretty intimidating, the bikes had no trouble getting up, but the trail gets confusing right there, and heading up in a Jeep would be fun as hell....

We start heading down to the "steps"............you can just make out Ben on the shelf road....

I've seen this next pic many times, on other RR's and on the web, but seeing it in person is awesome....

The funny thing about this section.......every steep decline we hit, my buddy Ben would stop on the bottom and when I reached him, he would say..... "IS THAT THE STEPS??? THAT WAS NOTHING!!!" and my response was.... "NO, THAT WAS NOT THE STEPS, AGAIN, YOU WILL KNOW WHEN YOU REACH THE STEPS!!!"

The warning......

Shortly after the sign, I get a glimpse of the "steps", and my buddy Ben is stopped cold right before them.......then I holler......... "BEN!!! NOW THOSE ARE THE STEPS!!!!!" I have a confession to make, I damn near turned around, this southern boy never had to deal with something like this.... I started thinking about my wife and new born son, if it was easy to turn around right there, I would have.......I totally forgot to whip out the camera...

My buddy Fish was behind me, he said....."FUCK IT!!" and took off past me, I said to myself...."What the hell man, you can make it down, just do it!" So I started down, never dropped the bike, and never looked to the left.....

Making it down the steps was like passing an initiation......well, to me it was..... I was feeling proud as I neared the end of the steps, then all of a sudden, some guys on full size KTM's fly right past us while I was coasting down.........

They had a group of riders at the bottom of the first switchback and I came sliding in, threw my bike down, and raised my arms up in VICTORY!!! I got some laughs out of that......

We did take some pics then....

We had fun going down the switchbacks, that was good fun.....they even had some locals going UP the steps on dirtbikes, didn't think that was safe, but more power to them.....

We made it to Telluride, then decided that was enough for the day, and slabbed it back to Ouray.......we usually hate doing that, but the road heading up to Ridgeway was fun, may have to bring the SV up there one day......

That was the end of Day #4

Day #5 we decided to take it easy on our last day, and do some tourism stuff, and find some good eats.... I actually worked some in that area, and I fell in love with any meal that had green chilies in it..... We happened across Maggie's Kitchen in Ouray, probably the best burger I ever had, and I've had some good ones..... It was the Green Chile Burger....... the meat was seasoned perfectly and it had big roasted green chilies and 2 slices of swiss cheese......FRICKIN' AWESOME!!!

So I end my thread with one of my favorite pics of the trip........MMMMMMM, I can still taste it.....

Old 09-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

We did get bored.......

Old 10-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #11
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Hey, we ran into you guys going down black bear!

I'm shocked we didn't run across each other more than the once, it looks like we did a lot of the same passes!

You did tackle a few we didn't though, looks like we missed some fun stuff. Next time!
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Hey, we ran into you guys going down black bear!

I'm shocked we didn't run across each other more than the once, it looks like we did a lot of the same passes!

You did tackle a few we didn't though, looks like we missed some fun stuff. Next time!
Hey!!! You found my RR, damn, I need some search function classes....

Yeh, definitely surprised we didn't run across you more, we actually had plans on using South Mineral Campground as our base camp, but chose to stay in Ouray, next year we will setup in Silverton! We missed a couple of passes that you guys hit, and we will definitely be back, probably same time next year! We have friends that live in Farmington, NM. He offered up his 5th wheel, next year we may take him up on it........

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
jdfish2279
I like-a da boobies

Oddometer: 25
Wicked Its that time again!

Seems time has moved rather slowly for an entire year. I didn't think this time would ever come, but it seems that we will be making this trip again in less than 10 days!! We are also bringing two more with us!

We will be doing some of the same passes as last year, but will also be hitting some things we missed. Im definitely looking forward to it. I believe we will also be better prepared video and photo wise, and cant wait to see the RR.

SWEET!
jdfish2279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

I'm trying to decide whether to append to this RR, and keep it Mobius-like or go ahead and just start a fresh one, decisions, decisions....

I'm looking forward to being setup in Silverton, especially since our heat index temps have averaged 110^F down here!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 PM   #15
zzlejeune OP
Wanna-be Adventurer

Looks like its time for another Colorado invasion!!

Southern Boyz Invade Colorado......Part Deux!!

Well, no TAT trip again, so it looks like we will load up the truck and trailers and head north once again. We will be heading to the San Juans again, to pick up where we left off, and to cover old ground, once again. We have some new members to the group, so they will get to experience everything we did, plus some.

There will be slight changes from last year....

We will be staying in Silverton, which we figured is more of a "hub" to the trails than Ouray. We will have some changes to the bike line up also. I sold the beast (CRF450X) and purchased a nice 07' DRZ400S, which has slowly transformed into quite the trail hoss. My buddy Fish sold his DR650 and is now on a street legal 01' DRZ400E, I think he will like that bike alot better on the trails! We will be staying at the Silverton Lakes Campground, which was actually abandoned last year when we passed it coming down from Animas Forks. But its under new management and we are looking forward to our stay there. I have a friend that lives in Farmington, NM who graciously let us borrow his RV for the week, even though we will all be sleeping in tents, it's nice to have a gathering place if the weather turns sour!

We will have 6 guys in the group, 2 of which will be noobs, so we're excited to show them the area! Hopefully if weather permitting, we can tackle all the passes we missed last year, and get to experience, once again, the ones we've seen already.

We will be leaving from Louisiana on Friday night (29th), staying the night in Aztec, NM at a friends house on the 30th, and setting up camp on the 31st. I will be "trying" to update the days events as they unfold!

One quick question for everyone with knowledge of the area.......I have a Google Earth add on that shows a "Denver Pass", it looks like its located right off the Engineer Pass road, going back toward Animas Forks, there even is a Denver Lake on the side of the trail, does anyone know if there is an actual pass sign for Denver Pass??

Thanks, I look forward to updating everyone!