Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thumb Becoming US citizen... riding Atlantic to Pacific and back.

So this may I got my first two wheeled motor vehicle...
An Aprilia SportCity 250.

After putting on the plates and getting insurance, I almost ran into a U-turning SUV, but instead avoided it and slid a good distance scraping my knees and ankles.

Few months later now I have 7,000 miles more on the little scoot than when I bought it. I feel quite confident on the light scooter, and one night I see a post on a friends Facebook...

"quitting my job, talking to the landlord. Moving to California from NY on a motorcycle"

I had to reply. I just had to go with him.

Having just submitted my fingerprints an don my way with the process of becoming a US citizen I really was excited about seeing the country.

Nimajus screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 10:21 AM
Nimajus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

So I start to plan and try to manage things at work so I can do this thing...
I scout Craigslist for a scoot that's more suitable for a long trip. I try everything and my legs are a bit long for most maxi scooters. I settle on this one Burgman 650. Big selling point, it comes with three Givi cases all around. The price is not too bad either for a 2005 with 10k miles.

Here's me buying the big hippo scoot:

Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

I take it to the dealership to check it out and make sure everything is good. I am not knowledgeable with bikes. One day I wish to get a garage and start tinker with them though. But for now I am an absolute noob.

I get the bike back, everything is good. Just an oil change and top off few liquids.

I pick it up, insure it and day dream about the beautiful mountains of US as I wait three hours on a wooden bench at the DMV...

Driving back that evening I think how the 250 is a much better all round bike.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
I'm in for this ride! It's always interesting to see our country through a foreigner's eyes, or in your case, an immigrant's (Welcome, BTW). You are about to take a trip very few American's do, and it will be amazing.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
LoneTraveler
Captain Zoomtastic

Oddometer: 438
Welcome! Good to have you here!

Having just done a similar trip, I'm curious to see what your reactions are to different parts of the country.

SuperTour 1
LoneTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
TheBlurr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,766
Welcome to America, looking forward to your trip report.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Wonderful way to start your new citizenship. Good luck.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
70East
Rags,Wrenches&Ramen

Oddometer: 97
Rock on, where are you from originally.
See you on the road, skag.
70East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Thumb Congratulation

Looking forward to your RR
Congratulation with your new status ride safe
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
this thread surely makes me smile. Congratulations on becoming a United States citizen. I can't wait to see what else does.

The very best to you, always
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #11
DomEOD
'murica

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimajus View Post

I pick it up, insure it and day dream about the beautiful mountains of US as I wait three hours on a wooden bench at the DMV...
Welcome to America!

Initial Success or Total Failure.
DomEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,319
Awesome!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the nice wishes. I'm originally from Lithuania.

So back to the trip...
The guy I'm supposed to ride with is living a bit away, and with my seven day a week work schedule we did not get to ride together until just few days ago. We spent a lot of time chatting online about different route options and what things we need for the trip.

Due to how last minute this trip came about, my road test was scheduled less than a week prior to when we're supposed to leave. Also most locations are full for 2months in advanced here in NY. So we were gonna drive out of NY, about hour and a half to take the test which was scheduled for 8am.

We left at 6am, passing through the George Washington Bridge as the morning sun warmed the thick fog that was floating above the Hudson River.

The weather was perfect and as we made our way through Palisades parkway the valleys, hills and forest around us really made for an amazing morning scenery. Everything was going perfect...

I was riding my SportCity 250 as I though this help me pass the test with no problems, as the burgman is quite heavy at low speeds and just feels like riding a big hippo. That said the power was plenty enough for a highway.

Close to our destination we drove up to a round about, my friend passed me going a bit faster than he should've... he was getting into the turn a bit fast.
I could already imagine him turn too much, hit the curb sideways and flip... but no. He kept his cool and drove straight onto the small curb, and through the grass and kept going. Those 23" wheels on his Kawasaki Vulcan really worked. His turning skills did not. It dawned on me that driving in Manhattan even for multiple years mean that no matter how impressive his skills of going in between traffic and racing between lights can be... he might've never seen a bending turn. SH*T... I thought I was the inexperienced one on this trip.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:46 AM   #14
Nimajus OP
Adventurer

We arrive at the town, and wait for the road test to start. Once the instructor arrives, he says where's your car? Within two minutes I have two people with cars that'll drive the instructor in their car to follow me on the scoot during the test. But the instructor tells me that you can't have just someone let them use their car. I say that the requirement is 'licensed driver with insured & inspected car,' he says no you can't and enters my license info into his pda canceling my road test. I am getting mad, asking him why can't any car that's legal on the road be ok for him to be a passenger in and follow behind me on the test. He just keeps saying I don't want to argue. He refuses to give a number to call the office where he works. And the online DMV call center has no real people, just automated information.

I feel so frikking defeated...
and mad

I check other NY state road test locations and the only one that's available first is this town again... The next date is the Monday that we were supposed to leave. It's the last hope of not throwing away the trip. I have limited amount of time by which I have to be back for work...
Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
NL7U
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Welcome to the USA

Gotta love this report! I'm subscribed!
http://larryherbert.blogspot.com
NL7U is offline   Reply With Quote