Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #166
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,939
You will love Columbia! Just spent two months riding around. While in Medellin be sure to stop into the Shamrock Irish Pub in El Poblado (on Carrera 35 off Calle 10) and say hello to Albert (Theturtleshead on ADV)and Dennis. Just a little warning you might not want to leave Medellin Lots of hostels in El Poblado area great food there too!

PM if you have any questions ....

Mark

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #167
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Laugh Day-112 !!!! Medellin

DAY-112
2/24/2012

Woken up to trucks starting around 5am, slept until 6am and loaded up the bike. I got the bike started with help of one of the workers of the hotel. It was low light sun wasn’t up yet, I turned the corner and there she was slowing coming up over the mountains of Colombia I just started laughing and raising my fist so pumped on life. The only vehicles that were on the road were trucks, so all morning I was weaving through trucks. There were 20km at a time that I had the twisty mountain road all to myself and the road was the smoothest newest road I have ridden in a long long time. I realized again that I love nice twisty paved road, but I am really jonesing for some dirt.
It was a pretty straight forward ride into Medellin, got into town and didn’t know where the hell I was going. HAHA. I tried asking a bunch of motorcycle taxi’s where “Africa Motos” was but nobody knew, finally went into a muffler shop and got a phone book. With the address I found a Motorcycle taxi gave him the address and followed him. They got lost getting there and had to ask directions, but we finally made it ten after ten.
Alex is his name, he speaks perfect English went to Moto School in Miami where he lived for 12 years. He is the head mechanic we went through everything I wanted fixed and worked on, they also have a nice chain and sprocket set I will pick up and hold onto for later. I left my gear there, grabbed a small bag and headed for the Hostel. Got a bed for 11 bucks a night at the Black Sheep. I met a nice guy from Finland who joined me on a quest for Santa Fe Park, after looking for a long time we gave up and grabbed a drink. Matt showed up to the hostel around 9pm or so. I had a pretty mellow night with hopes of getting my bike back tomorrow.

HE WAS NOT INTERESTED IN RACING

AWESOME WAY TO START THE RIDE!!

JUST TWISTING THROUGH THE MOUNTAINS OF COLOMBIA

NICE VIEWS IN HTE MORNING

AINT SHE A BUTE!!

HAHA
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #168
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Keeping up with the report Fletch. Ultra jealous! I wish I was still getting up and riding every day. Stuck back in Calgary without a vehicle. Not able to board or sled. Not depressing yet, but lacking in excitement for sure! Don't forget how lucky you have it right now even when the times are bad!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #169
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Hey bub

Don't forget how lucky you have it right now even when the times are bad![/QUOTE]

Not lucky my friend... Smart is the word... haha Just playing.. Yeah for sure..
I hung out with Nick yesterday good to catch up with him, he's dealing with passport shit for NZ so hopefully we will ride again at the SALTFLATS!!
Hope all is well and you get to go sledding soon.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #170
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Medellin, moving on

DAY-113-115
2/25-27/2012
On Saturday 25th I had a pretty mellow day, I went for a run first thing in the morning. This place is a party city; people were still catching cabs home from the night before while I was out running at 9am. I got some new shoes my fake Head running shoes were done and smelled awful. I got an Email from Nick, another Adventure rider who is also doing an RTW (I met him in Panama City). He had read my blog and knew I was in Medellin, so we setup a time to meet up tomorrow. I, Matt, Ben (Australia) and Scottish guy all went out for the night. We bounced around for a while, before settling on a very bizarre club, Western Cowboy movie/ Hooter + Midgets… hahah yep that was my night. This place is crazy I was the first to go home, everyone was still going on strong when I caught a taxi home around 4AM.
Sunday 26th I met up with Nick in the center of town. We walked around traded different stories and headed into a Museum where they had all of Fernando Botero’s artwork up. We strolled around found a good deal for lunch and then jumped on the Metro for Pablo’s grave. We skipped the taxi or bus and had a long walk there, we wandered around looking for his grave finally finding it. I don’t know what I expected maybe something like Jim Morrison’s grave, something flashy, or at least a Guard. We jumped back on the metro and headed to the Botanical Gardens at the University. I don’t know what it is but it is s nice to hangout with another Adventure rider, it’s a lot different from just your backpacker. Trading stories, screw-up’s, good choices, and funny stories, all of them. He is off tomorrow for Bogota to straighten out his work visa for NZ. I headed home hoping for an early night, but didn’t get it had a great time out with a bunch of people from the hostel.
Monday 27th, Bike should be ready I will grab it and make my way tomorrow morning for a off the beaten path Border Crossing. I took the cable car to the top of hills surrounding Medellin and had a fantastic view of the city. Met a really nice couple from Texas who have been traveling for the past 4 months and one of them is heading home the other will start to teach English. I had a relaxing day ready to ride bikes tomorrow!! Bikes ready but I will go tomorrow to pick it up and just leave from there.

DAY-116
2/28/2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER WINNIE!!!
Woke up early, checked out of hostel and grabbed a cab for the moto shop. I got there had a re-adjust my suspension, but other than that she was ready to rip. Before I put the panniers back on I started her up…. Nothing not even an attempt. Alex was very apologetic, no need it happens. He said he was hoping that the batter would be ready to go with a full charge, but it looks like that my battery is done. So he called around town looking for a battery that would fit, I went and got breakfast. I was hoping for the gel not the water batteries. When I got back he had a few prices and one battery there, the one he had there was a $200+ YIKES!! The gel batteries he had that didn’t need a charge were not the right fit, we could jimmy rig them but it wasn’t the best. So I decided on the stock water battery that needed time to charge. So I will just head back to hostel one more night and leave in the morning.
Right before leaving I asked about the area I have been wanting to head for the past few days, he said it should be fine. Although he did point out that is where most of the guys who own Colombia “plantations” lived in that area. He told me to wait and he would ask his boss who has ridden all over Colombia on a BMW F800GS. They looked at me crazy, that I wanted to ride down there.. What? Well they explained first off just not safe, also there was a just a big gun fight between some cartels and the Colombian Army... haha. Okay then what would you suggest I asked the owner and his friend who rode a ’09 klr. I grabbed my map and they helped me route out a sick loop to the Border. All camping and mostly dirt roads, with a few roads that I shouldn’t stop to long on and defiantly not ride after 4-5pm. So now I wake in the morning fingers crossed and head to Salento a small Coffee and mountain town for the night or two if I like, then over a huge pass to the dessert with a ferry crossing, and then finally to a huge park that I will camp at for a few days.
Gonna be EPIC!!!

Lots and lots of pics to come, Photobucket sucks.. What does everyone else use?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #171
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Haha, yea, Nic's a good guy. Pretty damn funny too.

Looking forward to the next update! Take lots of pictures. Those back roads can be so amazing for views and the stuff you see. Not sure about the local Columbians, but keep in mind taking pictures of the wrong person might become an issue. I missed so many wicked pictures in Mexico and Guatemala because it's generally advised to not take pics of the people, unless asked, but then even then the result can be unfavourable.

So jealous! As a side note I might get in some deep pow this weekend! Looks like we're heading into the mountains for a few days of sledding and boarding! Snowed a meter in the last couple days at the ski hill, but the sled areas often get 50% or more then what the ski hill gets!

Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #172
team8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
For Photo's use
SMUGMUG I believe the guy who treats us to this site owns smugmug also
team8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #173
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by team8 View Post
For Photo's use
SMUGMUG I believe the guy who treats us to this site owns smugmug also
Thank you, I will upload lots of pics today..
Fletch
Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #174
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Medellin pics

STREET ART

CITY SHOTS

STREET ARTIST

SMALLEST SUPER-MOTO

RADDEST GUITAR EVER.. AK-47 ELECTRIC

GAMBLING, WHERE'S HE GOING TO GO!!! I LOST 40CENTS!! I WILL EAT UR BROTHER IN PERU!

CEMENTERY

NIC ON THE SEARCH FOR PABLO'S GRAVE

PABLO ESCOBAR'S GRAVE

MY NEXT BIKE

VIEW FROM THE CABLE CAR

RAD TAG

FERNANDO BOTERO ART WORK

TONS OF SCULPTURES OUT FRONT

MEDELLIN WAS A RAD CITY
Old 03-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #175
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Wicked Lots of catching up too salento and coffee tour

DAY-117
2/29/2012

Alright let’s try this again, check out, grab taxi, arrive at Africa Moto, and talk with Alex. Sweet good to go, I load up the bike, pay my bill; get a few pictures with Alex. As we are taking the pictures next to my bike, he yells out AMERICA HELL YEAH!!! Ugh you’re going to get me beat up.. hahaha I get my directions out of Medellin and head for the hills. I realize right off my suspension is much better but also very very stiff. I will have to play with it once I make it to my next destination. As I make my way-out of town I come up on a slow car and truck, put my blinker on and go to pass the car and then the truck. Nope the car swings out I slam the breaks and see a huge what car about to side swipe me into the wall. Nothing I can do so I lean my wait toward the car ready for impact…..nothing…. somehow by the grace of the moto Gods he missed me. I finally pass both of them and get out of there not to stoked but no need to get my panties in a bunch just keep riding and smiling. I ride up into the mountains twisting my way through up up up, and then down down down. I dump into a beautiful valley with rivers everywhere, brown ones. I stop for lunch and to walk around get the blood flowing doc’s orders. I make my way hugging the base of mountains, just dancing through. It starts to drizzle and I flick my hand warmers on first time using them in a long long time. I start to head up into the mountains again, now it is raining pretty solid only for a few minutes at a time then it stops. It goes from rain to drop back and forth for about an hour. I do not get lost; the roads are marked awesome here.
I ride this small paved road up into the hills, and finally dump out into a nice little coffee town, all I can do is small it feels very piece and relaxing. I find the hostel that I had been told about from my friend Cosmo from home, they set me up with a bed for 10 bucks and safe gated parking. I grab a cup of coffee and make some noodles (I was starving and cold from the rain). As I am sitting there a couple walks in and its Robin and Miet from Belgium, they have been traveling from the US by a Mitsubishi 4x4 van. I have met them randomly in San Blas-Mex, Puerto Escondido-Mex, Panama City-Pan, and now Salento-Colombia. They invited me to throw in on some Lasagna, wine, and apple crisp dinner. We hung out all night with some really cool people and talked and shared stories. The food was awesome and good company. Tomorrow I am signed up for a coffee tour, should be interesting.

GETTING THERE

ROLLING HILLS EVERYWHERE

SALENTO

YIPEEEEE
DAY-118
3/1/2012
First of March!!! I had a nice cup of coffee and walked into town with two Sylvania girls to go to the market. I made a nice little breakfast and decided to go for a walk. I walked all through town up 10 sets of stairs to the top of a hill overlooking the town and valley on the other side; I walked for about 3 hours. I grabbed lunch and headed back to the hostel for the Coffee Tour. The owner of the hostel and farm is hilarious. He is from England moved to Salento 5 years ago and opened the Plantation Hostel, and then two years later bought a coffee farm from a 70 year old lady. There are 24 main steps to start to finish of coffee making, from growing the seeds to pouring into mug. We got the chance to watch and help take the shell off of the bean, pan roast, grind, and finally drink. IT WAS AWESOME!!!! We then walked around his farm, he has, blackberries, pineapples, strawberries, bamboo, and many other sections throughout his farm. He was defiantly a happy go lucky kind of guy and it had paid off for him.
A few of us stayed at the farm and got to know each other, I got along very well with a London Couple, Jessica and Dan. We walked up to the owner’s house and watch the sunset and headed for dinner. We head an awesome dinner at a Spanish Chefs restaurant and finished with Coffee Wine. Which is they take the water that they fermented the coffee cherries in and make wine out of it. You just a have a small shot of it accompanied with a coffee flavored cookie. We headed out to an Australian owned bar for a few drinks.
SALENTO IS A MUST STOP FOR ANY TRAVELER GOING THROUGH COLOMBIA!! STAY AT PLANTATION HOSTEL!!

24 STEPS OF GROWING COFFEE FROM PLANTING SEED TO DRINKING A CUP OF COLOMBIANS FINEST

FROM SEED TO GROUND

SEPERATING SHELLS AND BEAN

BLOWING OUT THE LAST OF THE SHELLS

BEANS STARTING TO ROAST

ALMOST THERE

GRINDING TIME

COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE

OH YEAH

NICES VIEWS FOR A CUP OF COFFEE

ALONG THE WAY BACK TO HOSTEL

NICE CLOSURE FOR A RAD DAY

MMMMMMM COFFEE WINE I LOVE YOU

A RAD ENGLISH CHICK DREW THIS OF ME..HAHAHA

I LOVE RUM!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #176
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Salento hiking valley- to riding to the desert

DAY-119
3/2/2012
Walked to the center of town, on the way grabbing a bottle of water and snacks. I met up with 10 others from my hostel and climbed into an old Willy’s jeep, Dan and I hung off the back as we headed into the valley. We walked as a big group just talking and trading stories as we followed a trail for about 5km following a river twisting through an amazing valley. We got to the end where there was a Humming Bird Refuge, (or at least that is what you’re told) really it was just a cabin with plastic humming bird feeders everywhere. Was still very nice, we had a cup of free coffee and headed on our way. We started to climb up into the mountains, and the rest of the group was not a fan and bailed out heading back to the main trail. We climb up until it was too steep and never found the lookout but was still a lot of fun. We took the full loop and headed up climbing toward a ridge, we hiked through the famous Colombian Wacks Palms. It was an awesome time with rad friends, amazing views and pictures.
We took a Willy back to town and everyone was very very tired, although we had to rally because it was Dan’s Birthday. About ten of us went to the same restaurant as last night and blew up balloons and set up streamers and waited for Jessica to show up with Dan. He was very happy, not to surprised I do not think but none the less very stoked. After dinner we headed to the square and sat around just 5 of us sharing some rum and stories. We met up with a lot more friends and enjoyed our night, maybe a little too much making a hard next morning.

THE ROAD TO THE VALLEY

HIKING UP

FAMOUS COLOMBIAN WACKS PALMS

FIRST OF MANY BRIDGES

HIKED ALONG THIS BAD BOY FOR 5KM

HUMMING BIRD SANCTUARY

MADE IT TO THE RIDGE

JESSICA, DAN, AND ME

NICE VIEW FROM ABOVE THE VALLEY

FUN SHOT

MESSING WITH MY CAMERA

HEADING BACK TO THE ROAD

THERES TREE HUGGERS ALL OVER WORLD NOT JUST IN CRESTED BUTTE, CO. WHO KNEW

WACKS PALMS EVERYWHERE

DAY-120
3/3/2012
I currently have the cutest little 4 year old boy standing next to my chair watching me type to you and asking lots and lots of question. He keeps saying chow and then leaving just to sneak back and try an scare me. haha

Alright let’s tell you about an epic day of riding Colombian style. Said my goodbyes and traded information with Dan and Jessica. (The little boy keeps coming back hola…chow) so far about 15 times. Hjaha So I made my way out of town and headed for the Tatacoa desert. I had to climb over a huge pass which I must have passed over 100 trucks on the way up and another hundred on the way down. Awesome views although was very overcast all day. My bike made a few weird noises but I think it was just from altitude and going very slow, seems prefect now. I got very hungry, tired, needed food and water. I was running low on cash but found a place that seemed okay. Although I after a frustrating time with my bad Spanish I figured out they were out of Pollo, so I changed restaurants. I was exhausted and just needed food. I found my Pollo and ate very quickly getting back onto the road. Due to leaving around 10:30 and being told it would take 8-9 hours I didn’t think I would make it before dark.
All of a sudden I realized I was making amazing time and if I found the shortcut I had been told of I might just make it before dark. I stopped at a gas station hoping they would take credit card, they did and also charged the card and extra 40 bucks and gave me cash, SWEET set for awhile. I was keeping my eyes out for the small sign that should indicate the shortcut; I saw it and blew right past it. I turned around and rode down a dirt road for about 5 minutes before dead ending into a huge river. I took a few pictures waiting for the boat on the other side to notice me. Not sure if this is it, but was told there would be a boat involved. Finally I screamed out Hola, yup that worked he fired up his little john boat and heading my way. Landed his boat, laid out a ramp, shook my hand, grab my bike with my help back it up the ramp and into the boat. I jumped in and sat on it holding it up right, we cruised across the river and beached it on the other side, quickly unloaded it. He gave me directions after a little confusion, he just looked at his wife who jumped onto a sweet Honda Super Cub and told me to follow. They got me onto the main dirt road and told me to go straight. I rode it for about 30 minutes and it was a lot of fun…I LOVE DIRT!!!! The road popped out onto a paved road and about 10 minutes later I was at the Observatory for the stars. Although it is too cloudy for them to open it up they let me set up my tent on their Property for the night. I walked over to a mess tent style restaurant and had Rice, eggs, plantains, and avocado. Now I just sat on the porch surrounded by dessert, then mountains in the distance, watched the sunset, and told you about my day.
I was all set for bed, getting into my sleeping bag like an old man around 8pm. When I heard someone walking toward my tent, “HOLA” “HOLA” I didn’t say a word just waited, then I hear “Fletch?” What! No way it is Meit and Robin they made it, I crawl out and say hello. I grab my shoes and follow them to their Van; we sit and hang out with a few beers, while they make dinner. Nice to see them in the middle of nowhere, they didn’t think they were going to make it, due to the fact without the short cut it was an extra 2hrs. I headed to bed around 10ish.
Tomorrow I head for San Agustin.

HEADING INTO THE DESERT

SEE THE PATH TOO THE RIGHT.. YUP MOTORCYCLES ONLY AND ITS FREE FOR US!!! YEAH

ROAD ENDS HERE

HOLA HOLA!!!!

HERE HE COMES

BIKES READY TO GO

STRADDLING THE BIKE TO KEEP IT UP RIGHT AS WE HEAD FOR THE OTHER SIDE

MADE IT

RAD DIRT ROAD THROUGH THE DESERT

NICE SKY

NICE ROCKING CHAIR

DESERT

VIEWS FROM MY CAMP

SUNSETTING

EPIC EVENING

SUNRISING

NICE WAKE UP CALL

RAD

SO SO RADTASTIC

CANNOT GET OVER THE VIEWS

RADTSTIC VIEWS

crestedbutte-rtw screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 11:53 AM
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #177
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Wicked Catching up with solid internet finally-to san agustin

DAY-121
3/4/2012
The sun woke me around 6:30am, nice cool morning with beautiful views. I took a nice morning pee in a field and started my day, walking around taking photos. I saw Robin was up, talked with him for a little bit, he was working on a drawing. It was actually a comic and it was a comic of me!! A picture of me wrecking on my bike.. haha
I packed up my tent and gear and headed off for San Agustin around 8:30, I made good time all day twisting through the mountains. Starting off was nice with about 10km of dirt, bouncing down the dirt road smiling, dodging cows, splashing through rivers, and lust laughing! I got to the first town, with a few bad directions and 10 minutes of getting lost I was on my way. The road was awesome; I was ripping through gnarly hairpin turns, huge turns, S-ing my way through the hills of Colombia. I climbed high into the mountains then came whipping down to the rivers and back up again. There was not too much traffic on the road due to it being Sunday. Stopped for breakfast which consisted of veggie soup, rice, fried eggs, and a cup of café. The road signs are quiet impressive, the best on this trip so far. There were tons of dogs all over the road today, but there was one sitting in the middle of the road a puppy maybe 10 weeks old with a bow around its neck. (I hope it didn’t get hit!) The last pass I had was a cold and rainy one. I was ripping up toward the top when I saw one of the most amazing waterfalls across the valley from me, that I literally pulled to the side stopped and took pictures right from the bike. The views of had in Colombia do not compare to anywhere I have been thus far on the trip. It is amazing that I never thought about travelling through Colombia Before this trip , I will have to come back again and travel some more. Colombia defiantly took me by surprise, it is radtastic!
I pulled into San Agustin around 2ish, stopped in the rain and grabbed a bunch of groceries for the next for days. I had to climb a pretty steep and muddy road to get to the hostel. I wanted to camp (5bucks a day) but all of their camping areas were swamped out from all of the recent rain. The dorm room was around 10 bucks, but instead I was able to grab the last hammock for 5 bucks. I dropped my gear off the bike and headed for the Archeologist Park. All of these massive sculpted stones all over the park, a nice 2hr walk or so. I climb up the steep muddy hill back to the hostel. I was nackered, I ended up reading my book and falling asleep around 8:30PM.

ROBIN DREW THIS UP AND I COULD NOT STOP L,AUGHING, HE'S EVEN GOT MY SWET BEARD IN THERE

ROAD HEADED TO SAN AGUSTIN

I HAD TO STOP FOR THIS PIC, EVEN THOUGH NO PULL OF JUST CLIFF AND PISSING DOWN RAIN

GRAVE

THE PARK WAS FULL OF AWESOME CARVED STONE STATUES

SO MANY OF THEM

NICE 2HR WALK AFTER THE NICE RIDE HERE

EPIC VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WALK

MY FAVORITE

SOME WERE HUGE!!!

HOLY CRAP DID IT JUST MOVE!!!

DAY-122
3/5/2012

It has been 4 MONTHS- 8,000 MILES, since I left Colorado 11/5/2011.

My night in the hammock was very comfortable, first time I have ever slept in a hammock overnight. I woke up early and headed into town for a little coffee and breakfast. A lot of people from the hostel was going on a 8hr jeep tour that sound pretty fun for around 15bucks. Last minute I decided to join them and jumped into a Trooper with seating for 8 and a huge roof rack. We drove into the hills and stopped for pictures on a high road with a 1000ft drop off to the right. He told us that we could ride on the roof if we wanted, so we took turns all day riding on the roof we had 4-5 people up at a time. We drove some crazy roads up, down, and criss crossing through the mountains. It was a nice day meeting new people, relaxing, cruising, and seeing the Colombian Mountain side. We did all different hikes, stone carving parks, delicous lunch, amazing views, waterfalls, and lots of laughs.
We made it back to town around 5:30, grabbed a cup of café and freshly made Pollo and Potatoe empanades. Had a relaxing evening and passed out in my hammock.

NICE VIEW FROM UP THERE JUST HAVE TO HOLD ON TIGHT!!!

MARY'S JUST WATCHING THE RIVER GO BYE...

DAMN WHO'S THAT HANDSOME DEVIL...HAHAHA

SUGARCANE COMING IN!!!

GETTING CRUSHED

THEY HOLD ONTO THE SCRAPS DRY THEM OUT AND USE THEM FOR BURNING

REDUCED THE SUGARCANE WATER DOWN

REDUCED DOWN SUGARCANE WATER READY TOO COOL AND HARDEN

COOLING DOWN A BATCH AND THERE IS BLOCKS ON THE TABLE READY TO SHIP

WATERFALLS EVERYWHERE

BEAUTIFUL DAY WE WERE LUCKY FOR NO RAIN

HUGE FLAT WALLS, MASSIVE FALLS

EPIC DAY, WITH GOOD PEOPLE
Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #178
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh San agustin-popayan-cali

DAY-123
3/6/2012
Got a move on pretty quickly, ran around coffee and got on the ride. I headed out the bike sounded fine so I decided to head for Popayan. I stopped and made sure I was headed in the right direction, I asked again and then headed for the dirt. It didn’t seem right so I asked another moto rider, nope wrong way go back through town and then take the next dirt road. The road turned into a nice paved road and we rallied it hard climbing up, all of a sudden it turned into a gnarly dirt road. Bouncing around splashing through some pretty good mud holes, just laughing ang ripping. I passed a bunch of trucks and cars, just having fun. I head into the first and only military check point, the first guy gave me thumbs up. The rest walked out into the road and stopped me, first time getting stopped in Colombia. Turned off the bike and the first guy put his hand out and we shook. One guy wanted me to take my helmet off, once I did they told me I had mud in my beard. We all just laughed and talked about what I was up too and where I was headed. They were very intrigued and could not be nicer.
I rallied through the dirt for over 120km, lost of construction and potholes. It was nice to get muddy again, warms the soul.

I made it to Popayan, after running circles for a bit I found a Mototaxi and gave him a dollar to take me to my hostel. I got into the hostel parked my bike down the street in a parking area and took a well needed shower. Walked around town looking for some food and just taking in my surroundings. I went out for coffee with a really cool group of people form all over the world and just traded storeis for about an hour. I made some dinner and crashed out for the night in the dvd room.

DAY 124-125
3/7-8/2012
I had a pretty relaxed day walked around and took in the town. I met a few nice guys from australia and england and had fresh potato empanadas. I qaught up on a lot of uploading pictures and writing. Nothing to crazy just a well needed do nothing kind of day. I got in contact with Nic from Canada who is on a DR650 and found out he was in Cali at a rad moto guy Mikes Hostel Casa Blanca. I will head there tomorrow and work on my bike, I notice some gnarly sounds coming from the engine when it is in 1st or second climbing. Had a relaxed night and went to bed early.

I got up and took a nice slow morning, coffee and empanada breakfast. I worked on the bike, tightened up the chain which had become loose, hoping that has caused my problems. I loaded up the bike and headed out, sweet no noises it was just the chain, being to loose. I made it with in 20km and the noise started again. I got into town and gave a mototaxi the hostel card and followed him. Nope the guy was an idiot and took off leaving me in the dust with my hostel card. Sweet I see him in the distance but he can weave through the cars without problem, because he doesn’t have huge panniers. I ride around lost as hell for about an hour starting to get very frustrated, alright Fletch relax not that big of deal you have been lost plenty of times. After asking over and over for directions, a guy on a moped rides up and ask if I need help, he takes me to a kawasaki dealer (Nic had told me the hostel was near a Kawi shop”. Wrong one but a guy on a bicycle and his friend on a moped ask if I need help. A shot in the dark I ask if they know Hostel Casa Blanca and by some miricale they do they try and tell me direction I just look at them blankly, they just laugh and tell me to follow them. I ride off the sidewalk and chase after tehm, the traffic was thick and the bicycle was in the lead the whole time. They take me on a sidewalk/ bike path through the city, ugh okay. We pop out at an intersection right in front on three cops, cool no problem I follow them right to the doorstep of the hostel. They shake my hand and ride off into the city. People keep surprising! So lucky.
Mike is at the hostel; and we sit and talk about riding, where to work on my bike, and how to ship stuff cheaply from the states. I am going to take this time to hang out for a week here and order a few things for the bike. I met up with Nic and we headed out for a huge chicken dinner for 3bucks. After messing with the bike for awhile I have decided it is my chain it keep stretching out thus making that thunking sound at the end of the ride. I ordered a nice carepackage for the bike she will be a tank very soon!!! Parts should be here in hopefully less then a week and I will rebuild her make sure she is solid to rally. I will then hopfully meet up with Nic if all goes well for him with his passport. We will then ride dirt and mountains to Bolivia.

I LOVE MUD AND DIRT ROADS!!!!

RAD SPOT TO TAKE A BREAK ON THE WAY OVER TO POPAYAN

I WAS TO BIG TO RIDE :( ... HAHA

CHURCHES!!!

IN THE NEXT WEEK I WILL BE WORKING ON SPANISH AND ORGANIZE/ GOING THROUGH ALL OF MY CRAP!!
THANKS FOR RIDING ALONG ON MY ADVENTURE..
FLETCH
Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #179
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Wink Cali cali

DAY 126-127
3/9-10/2012
I ran around and talked to a few shops making sure they had the right tools and knowledge to help me do a valve check and a Doohickey change (I know I know I should of done that before leaving, but my local shop said the 2009 model did not need to change (wrong) haha). I went back to the hostel got my shipping information sorted out and went online to figure out what I wanted. I got a doohickey, 550lb rear coil, and riser kit for the rear suspension (this will stop the sagging and give me back my suspension haha, just look at the pictures if you don’t think my bike needs this haha). I ordered the parts and then talked with Mike the hostel owner for awhile. Nic and I just walked around town checking out a few things getting small nicnacs for the bikes. Pretty chill evening, had a few beers with the people at the hostel and past out.
We got up early and headed to the shop where we can work on bikes, and started taking Nic’s bike apart. We replaced his back tire with a fresh knobbie and took off his skidplate so it could be modified to fit the headers better. We finished pretty fast between us and headed back to the hostel. I had a lot of catching up to do between my RR and my Blog so I work on that stuff for nearly 5+ hours uploading photos and writings to the sites. Had a few more beers and hung out in the movie room.

DAY-128
3/11/2012
Nic headed toward Bogota today hoping his passport was figured out. I met up with an Irish Couple and an Ausie mate and went for a hike. We were going to hike the hill behind Cali up to the three crosses overlooking the city. We headed off and grabbed water on the way, after getting lost for a little bit finally found the small trail up. It was easy going trail up the hill, at the top starting breathing a little heavy and sweating like a fat kid. Finally came to the top, syke nope halfway crap… haha lady selling water stopped bought a bag and kept moving I took a swing and spit it out. Looked at the Irish couple they just laughed because the fresh bag of water tasted like it had been filtered through trash so nasty tasting. The last 400 meters or so was straight up rock crawling to the top (my buddy Jason would of loved it for his Jeep). We made it to the top sweaty and breathing heavy as we get there we realize there is a freaking work out area with weights, pull up bars, the whole nine. I just started to laugh at how out of shape I have become...hahaha the views were jaw dropping, Cali is a big city. The crosses were sweet to see up close huge structures. We headed back down, skidding our way. We came out at a different area then started but figured it out pretty quickly.
After getting back relaxed for a few decided on what to do tomorrow and got in touch with family and friends via skype and caught up with them. It was a great day and cannot wait to see what tomorrow holds, I have to do at least a few lessons on my Rosetta stone that a friend just gave me!!

EMPANADAS YUM YUM YUM

JUST STARTING TO FIND THE RIGHT TRAIL

FAKE OUT, ONE MORE UP

THE TRAIL UP

ALMOST THERE

WELCOME TO CALI, COLOMBIA

THE THREE CROSSES OVER LOOKING CALI

FROM UNDER IT

YEAH CALI

ARTISTIC CRAP.. HAHA

THATS THE LIL HILL.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #180
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Columbia looks amazing! Still wishing I was there! Pretty sweet that you met up with Nic again and it's good to see the bikes are still running strong.

Went sledding last week an blew my knee out. Torn MCL. Hobbling around. Figure it might have ruined the test of the sledding and boarding season. Time to heal up for the CDT this summer!

Keep up with the report and pictures! Thoroughly enjoying it.