Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM   #211
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Laugh SHREDDING PERU!!! catching up with you with a few days

DAY-174
4/24/2012
Today I got on the road not until 10 or so taking my time, I was pretty tired from the day before. I knew I had about 6hrs of all pavement today, the only pavement day I will have all week. I passed through a couple of police checkpoints just getting waved through. I finally got waved over stopped and talked with them for a seconds showed my permit but nothing else and they told me to have a great day. I got pulled over again and this time we just shook hands and talked about where I had come from and where I was headed. Then they shook my hands and sent me on my way without ever looking at my documents. I filled up a few more times just to be on the safe side because I still do not have mileage. I got into Huancayo where I knew where to go to sleep from another traveler, I got there but they had moved so I was shown the new location; although I couldnít get in the door. So I traveled around the city as it got dark looking for a cheap place with parking, I started to get frustrated and then relaxed, went back to the same placed asked for help and they knew a place with inside parking and cheapish rooms. I got a private for 12bucks, expensive but not a lot of choices.

DAY-175
4/25/2012
I have not been in a rush to get on the road super fast the last couple of days, each day have been about 8+hrs of riding so if I leave by 9ish at the latest I will be good. So I headed off today around 9am, I got pulled over twice at police checks. We just shook hands and talked for about five minutes each time without checking my documents they sent me on my way. The first time I was stopped they really liked my amigo Animal (from the Muppets) that is zip tied to my front crash bar.
The road was paved for about 10 minutes and then turned to a bumpy, rutted out, muddy, creeks, potholes, washed out, AWESOME dirt road. I just went for it, the map I had was okay for this area but I mainly depended on asking people along the way. The road stayed at high elevation and then started to climb higher and higher. There was over two hours of riding desolate high altitude dirt roads, just winding through abandoned villages. It was amazing riding, I was truly riding solo to the world what an amazing feeling. It was snowing/ hailing/ raining on me, and so cold. After a little detour I found my new dirt road and made my way up and over a few ridges, until I started dropping down to the world of heat, cactus, dried river beds, and a river. I was whipping down the road, so many switch backs through the start of the desert. I came around a turn and a cop coming up the other way was surprised by me but I was on my side and it was safe, but he slammed his brakes and held his horn at me staring at me trying to get me to stop as I went by so I waved and kept on going. When I checked the mirror they were still stopped looking at me ride away. (The road was too narrow for them to turn around) I passed a few more cops without an issue. I made it into the next big city and grabbed some gas and it all of a sudden started to rain cats and dogs. It was pissing down rain hard; I threw on my rain jacket and went for the last 70km stretch. It was raining hard I was staying with a truck taxi, when another taxi started to ride my ass, like really close. I passed a few cars and it started to stop raining. I saw a police check point coming up I slowed, the taxi caught up and was on me as we headed into the check point. No other cars were pulled over and one cop standing in the middle of the road started to wave me down I slowed but he was looking at another car and he was waving me over but it also looked like he was waving everyone behind me through. All of a sudden the taxi started to pass me, screw this I am going so I followed the taxi and the cop started blowing his whistle loud at me I played dumb and just kept on going waving as I passed. I checked my mirror and he was walking over talking with the other cops all staring at me but nothing else.
I have come to the conclusion if there are a group of cops standing around and not pulling anyone over until you come into view then they pull you over they are going to try and rip you off, play dumb and pass through if possible. I pulled into town and saw three cops stopped and asked them where this particular hostel was, after a few minutes two of them got into their truck and told me to follow them. It was an unmarked crappy Nissan, I followed it and they would pull in front of traffic stopping it and let me through. They got me to the hostel and dropped me off with a hand shake they were off. The cheap room was gone so I had to do a little haggling with the owner to get it down to a cheaper price. I have my own room, safe parking for ten bucks not to bad for this place, it should be a 20 dollar room and parking. I grabbed some pizza and water I am very dehydrated. I will head out tomorrow morning trying to get the best of the last 20hrs of dirt tomorrow to Cuzco.

DAY-176
12/26/2012
Started off this day around 8am on a beat up 4x4 road, I was hoping to make it to Abancay a supposedly 16hr bus ride. For the first two hours of riding I was alone except for the occasional truck. I bounced my way up toward a ridge up and over. The road was rad just winding through the country side farm after farm, I wasnít sure I was on the right road but felt I was going in the right direction. The 4x4 dumped me onto another road, a smoother well used dirt road. I stopped and saw two vans headed my way; I waved down the second van and asked which way toward Abancay, they pointed me in the right direction then asked if they could take a picture of me.
I made my way down until I hit construction; we waited in line for about 10 minutes and then were told to go. Although half way through they stopped us again a truck was getting loaded with dirt, he kept waving me over then forward and then over and so on. Finally I saw an opening with the truck and blasted past the stop sign guy and made my exit. This new road I was on was nicely maintained and not bumpy but still dirt. There was at least 100 switch backs down to the river and crossed over to a town where I had lunch (two packs of cookies and a bottle of water). My map showed all dirt until Abancay, although after another hour of dirt the road went to brand new asphalt. I raged this through the mountains; the road constantly would climb up over mountains freezing cold and raining sleeting, and then switch back down to the floor of the desert so hot stripping off my layers. I made it to Andahuaylas which was supposed to be a good place to sleep, I asked how long till Abanacay as I got gas, I was told by Moto rapido it would take 3hrs, and it was 3pm. Not going to lie that last three hours was gnarly I was getting exhausted. At this point I had ridden close to 40hrs of 3/4 dirt in the past 4 days. I climbed two more passes and a few long straight away hugging to a side of a mountain. I topped out on the last pass and could see the city of Abancay, It was way down in the valley at least another hour. I raced down the dirt switch backs well over a hundred of them, finally dumping out at the river then had to ride down the river away from town for about 5km cross the bridge and start to climb back up toward the city via asphalt. Man to be honest I have not been this tired or beat up from riding thus far on this trip, four long hard days of riding and I am only 3-4hrs away from Cuzco. I found a cheap place to sleep after bargaining. I grabbed some food but because I was stupid and hadnít eaten anything real all day or drank enough water I felt sick after eating and ran for the toilet. I went to bed by 8pm, dead to the world.

PAVEMENT DAY

IF U WERE MY GOGGLES

AMAZING VIEWS AT EVERY TURN

ANOTHER GOGGLE SHOT

NUFF SAID

A FEW SWITCH BACKS DOWN TO ANOTHER VALLEY

GOGGLE SHOTS

DROPPING DOWN IN ELEVATION

SUCH AMAZING DAYS OF RIDING AND VIEWS

WITH EVERY TURN THE VIEWS FROM MY GOGGLES GET BETTER AND BETTER

PICTURE SAYS IT ALL

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SHOTS OF THE ANIMAL

THANKS FOR RIDING ALONG!!!!
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #212
bilborides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Great pics and report,thank you for the journey.If you can find pedialyte down there drink it and carry it.Lots of fluids all the time.Have a wonderful adventure,with ya all the way
bilborides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #213
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,697
Thumb

Good stuff Fletch.. still following ya along.
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #214
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilborides View Post
Great pics and report,thank you for the journey.If you can find pedialyte down there drink it and carry it.Lots of fluids all the time.Have a wonderful adventure,with ya all the way
Pedialyte drinks are all over central america, but not sure about S.A. Good advice, unfortunately I didn't use it (but knew about it). I drank a lot of juice.

Klim jacket? High roller here..

Wicked views for sure. The views and dirt roads are what pull me to S.A. The high elevation deserts and stuff too look unreal.

The views almost look like a greener Copper Canyon, but the roads look much smoother.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #215
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Getting to cuzco anda few days in cuzco

DAY-177
4/27/2012
I woke pretty beat up today, took it easy knowing I only had a 3-4hr ride to Cusco. It was a pretty straight forward paved road, lots of twistiest and of course lots and lots of fun. I was expecting lots of police check points once I was on the main road to Cuzco but I didnít see any. I pulled into Cuzco and it was a huge city, but I lucked out and asked a local for the Centro. I pulled into town and rode around for about 10 minutes until I found the hostel I was looking for but they were full. I was sitting on my bike trying to find another hostel when I realized I was on a street full of them, asked about one and they had parking and an open bed but it was 13 bucks. I headed up into the hills to another one, but after checking it out I decided to head back down into the Centro and went back to the same hostel. This time they all of a sudden had an opening for a room that was only 8 bucks. There were lots of stairs to climb to get to the back area where I could park my bike. They pulled out a few planks and I walked the bike up with the help of a little throttle and a guy making sure I was in line. I parked the bike grabbed my bed and took a siesta. I ran into my friend Matthias from Germany who I had met in Ecuador. I took it easy trying to get a hold of my friend Wyley who was going to be in Cuzco around the same time so we were going to meet up for a day of exploring and he was bringing down a Canon s100 camera to me.

DAY-178-179
4/28-29/2012
Walked around all day, checking out Cuzco; it is rad but way to touristy for me, everyone trying to sell you something. I took it easy for the day caught up on some blogging and RRís with lots of photos. Got an email from my friend and we planned to meet for breakfast. I did not know how much I needed to see a familiar face until I walked into breakfast and met Wyley and his mom. I threw my new camera in my locker and went with them to Pisca for the Sunday market. We spent the day walking through the market and meeting a Shaman which was very interesting. I went to an Irish pub the highest Irish owned pub in the world, and had a well needed and best bacon cheeseburger I have had since leaving home.

DAY-180
4/30/2012
I was drinking tea working online in the morning when I saw a girl walk into the room for free breakfast and I realized I knew her. Jay from Canada who I had hung out with and partied with in El Salvador, we decided to meet up for a few drinks and food tonight. I did a lot of laundry and ran around getting ready for my Machu Picchu adventure starting tomorrow.
I have been trying to figure out what the best and cheapest way to do Machu Picchu is. They offer all different very expensive tours and packages to get you there. You cannot ride to Machu Picchu, there are no roads getting you to Aguas Calientes (the town where you hike from to get to Machu Picchu). I found I could ride with in a two hour walk to Aguas Calientes, the ride is a 6hr ride, but I have to find a safe place to leave my bike. I started to talk to more travelers and found I could take a bus for 6 bucks to a town near and then take another bus to get me to the walk for all of 12 bucks. So I wouldnít have to leave my bike and gear at a random place. I teamed up with a German guy Mathias. We decided on taking the bus and hiking to get there and a rad train through the park on the way home (the earliest train because it is the cheapest).
I met up with Jay and her friend at their hostel for food and drinks, was an awesome night catching up on where we have been and what we have been up to over the past 4 months. I headed home around 12 full and swaying.

ALMOST TO CUZCO

GETTING CLOSE!!!!

CUZCO

COCA BROWNIE AND COCA TEA PLEASE!!!

BUSINESS IDEAS EVERYWHERE HAHA

I LOVE THIS PLACE

GOODNIGHT CUZCO!!

BRINGS A TEAR TO MY EYE!!

SAN PEDRO'S MARKET

CHICKEN SOUP ANYONE

CENTER SQUARE

SUNDAY MARKET

SUCH A COOL MARKET IN PISCA

VISITING THE SHAMAN

WYLEY AND I!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #216
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
WIcked beard! Keep that up!

I also giggled the slednecks hoodie.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #217
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Machu picchu, 1/2

DAY-181
5/1/2012
HEADED FOR MACHU PICCHU!!!

I woke up around 6:30am and packed up my bags for storage, I donít have a backpack so I made one out of a stuff sack. Checked out said goodbye to my bike and met up with Mathias. We took a quick taxi to the bus station, after bargaining we decided on a big bus for 15 Sols and headed for Santa Marie. On the bus we met Morgan a rad French guy who lives in the UK, it took us 6hrs. We arrived and tried to bargain with a taxi to take us to Santa Teresa, after bargaining and finding two other travelers to split it we talked him into taking us all the way to Hydroelectrica plant where we could hike from. The road was gnarly and I wished I was on my bike not in a sketchy taxi; there was a recent smashed truck at the bottom of a raven. We arrived around 4pm and grabbed our gear and started to walk down the train tracks. Within 10 minutes it was raining so we walked for another two hours or so in the rain getting completely soaked rain jackets didnít help much. We arrived in Aguas Calientes just after six soaked to the bone, walked around, got Morgan a ticket for Machu Picchu and found a cheap hostel. One room with three beds for 15 Sols each, we got a horrible tourist rip off dinner and went to bed for an early morning.

DAY-182
5/2/2012
We woke up around 4:10am and headed for the Machu Picchu Stairs gate. We arrived right as they opened the gate at 5am and started walking up, with about 20-30 other people. I met up with another traveler and we made great time up the stairs. The 1hr+ walk took about 45minutes huffing and puffing. After a few nice pictures of the sun rising up over the mountains at 6am the Machu Picchu Park opened its gates and we were within the first ten allowed in. The feeling was amazing to stand above the Ruins looking down on them watching the sun rise with barely anyone else in the park. The clouds were burning off and gave an eerie peaceful feeling. We took tons of pictures and once more people started to arrive we decided to head down into the Ruins. They were incredible the feeling I got walking around through and seeing everything that was created with just man power was indescribable. After about two hours we decided to hike the mountain of Machu Picchu, we made it to the entry gate. Although it was just Morgan and me, Matthias was nowhere in sight. I headed back down to find Mathias and he said to go without him he was not going to make it he was much too out of shape. (Later we found out it was that he was exhausted and had eaten something that didnít agree and needed to find a bathroom) So Morgan and I huffed and puffed our way through the clouds, we couldnít see anything it was socked in with clouds. The trail was all stairs, straight up with a few switch backs. It was so steep just straight up, we pushed ourselves to make it to the top and we were greeted with views of being inside of a cloud. We sat at the top with another 15 or so people waiting for the clouds to break to get a glimpse of the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. After about an hour we were about to head back down, when the clouds started to break. Ten more minutes of waiting and we were rewarded by amazing views, I took tons of pictures all the way back down. By the time we made it back down the park was packed and so many people were walking around it was crazy like being at an amusement park.
We were about to leave when we ran back into Matthias and we were all exhausted so we hiked back down all of the stairs. (If I never have to walk up or down stairs again I would be happy) Once we walked back down to the original gate we stopped and had a victory beer and it was awesome so pumped sharing pictures and so on. We headed back into town and got food and a well deserved nap. We headed out to get our train tickets, beer, and food. We played cards, ate dinner, and had a few beers. We got back to the hostel and Morgan was done he went to bed around 7pm. I happen to walk outside and saw tons of people in the square grabbed Matthias and walked down to the square. They were having a festival for the church. 3 hours we checked it out taking amazing photos; they were so excited to have their pictures taken. I took over a hundred pictures, and another 300 of Machu Picchu.

DAY-183
5/3/2012
I woke up very sore and walked around town looking for a cup of coffee before our train back to Cuzco. We jumped on the train and headed for Cuzco around 8:30am it was one tiny car section of the train and thatís it. It was a bumpy awesome train ride back; we checked out the views and played cards. We changed to another minivan for 4 bucks and headed the last 1.5hrs back to Cuzco. We arrived and I was ready for a hot shower and a nap. We decided to all meet up for a celebratory dinner consisting of Guinea Pig around 7 at the pub. We had a beer at the pub and headed to find our dinner. We found a place that served it but they wanted a lot, so one of the French guys we were with bargained them down and got us two free drinks; Pisco and Vino. We sat, drank, and ate Guinea Pig with two French, one German, and myself an American. We went back to the pub and had another pint then said our goodbyes and headed for bed.

HOPEFULLY THIS MIGHT HELP OTHER TRAVELERS:

This is the cheapest way I could figure out, although to make it cheaper you donít take the train you take the same way back as you came with buses. Although I wanted to change it up and see different scenery on the way back.
Take a bus to Santa Mary ($6), got in a taxi with 3 others 4 bucks each, and made it to Hydroelectica. (Total of 8hrs of transportation) Walk 2+hrs down the train tracks to Aguas Calientes by 6:30pm, find a hostel with three beds in the room and shared it with another French guy Morgan for 6 bucks a night (2 nights). We got tickets for Machu Picchu and Mount Machu Picchu for 55 bucks or so. Woke up the next day and walked the stairs starting at 4:30 get to the gate by 5am when it opens and walk it takes 40-60min. Arrived at the Machu Picchu park right before 6am when they open being one of the first in to get great pictures and catch the sunrise before it turns into a zoo. We hiked the mountain and headed back to town but 1pm 7hrs in the park and by one the place is packed. We slept a second night (you can find cheapish food if you look hard in town). We decided we wanted a different way back so we decided on a train the cheapest train is at 8:30am for 36bucks so that is why we stayed two nights. (Night trains everyone takes is 60+ bucks) We woke up and took the train in the morning then bargained with a mini bus and got the 2hr ride back from the train station to Cuzco for 4 bucks. In total not counting cheap food we each spent: $115 give or take. You can do it cheaper if you go back the same with the buses for 8hrs instead of train and mini bus for a little under 4hrs and you get to see and experience new things. The bike would have been fun but paying for gas, parking, and leaving your bike in a random town was not to settling to me so I decided this path.

FOLLOWING THE TRAIN TRACKS TO AGUAS CALIENTES

SUCH AWESOME WALK FOR TRAIN TRACKS

MORGAN AND MATT

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

TRAINS A COMING

ALMOST THERE

SHOT AT 5:45am WAITING FOR THE MACHU PICCHU PARK GATES TO OPEN

ANOTHER NICE SHOT WITH THE NEW CAMERA, STILL TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT

SUCH A PEACEFUL PLACE TO BE UP THERE BEFORE THE CROWDS SHOW

AHHH YES HERE COMES THE SUN!!!!

WALKING INTO THE PARK

ONE HAPPY SWEATY GUY AT 5:45AM, I HAVE NEVER DONE THAT MUCH EXCERCISE BEFORE 6AM!

LLIMA SHOT

STOKED ON LIFE!!

WHO'S GOING TO BLINK!!!

ME AND MY GRANDFATHER!!

WELCOME TO MACHU PICCHU!!!!

CLOUDS ARE LIFITNG WHAT A VIEW!!

NEW FRIENDSHIPS ARE BORN AT MACHU PICCHU

SHOTS OF THE RUINS

CHECKING OUT THE VIEWS AND TAKING A MORNING BREAK

INSIDE THE RUINS

INSIDE WALKING AROUND

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE THROUGH MACHU PICCHU JUST WANDERING AROUND

HIKING UP MOUNT MACHU PICCHU

SO MANY STAIRS!!

BREATH TAKING

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

SILENCE

WE SAT HERE TAKING IN THE VIEWS AND EATING COOKIES

CLOUDS FINALLY STARTED TO LIFT

INCREDIBLE

COOL OLD MAN AT THE TOP

SUCH AN INCREDIBLE PLACE
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #218
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Talking Machu picchu, 2/2 pics

SO INCREDIBLE, CAN'T GET ENOUGH!!!

HELL YEAH!!!!!

ONE LAST ONE

LEAVING THE PARK, THE PLACE IS A ZOO AND IT WAS ONLY NOON

HIKING BACK TO TOWN

HANGING OUT PLAYING MUSIC IN THE STREETTS AS WE GOT BACK

THE FESTIVAL BEGINS

HAHAHAHA

SO SO RAD, AMAZING

HE WAS ABOUT 8, AWESOME

HE WAS AROUND 5, TAKE NOTE OF THE BEER BOTTLE ... HAHAHA

OOOOOOOLALALA

HAHAHA

YEAH LITTLE MAN, THIS IS AWESOME

BAHAHAHAHAHA

NOT OUT OF PLACE AT ALL, I FIT RIGHT IN!!

OUR ONE CAR TRAIN BACK TOWARD CUZCO!!!!

Hands down the best experience I have had thus far!!!!!!

crestedbutte-rtw screwed with this post 05-05-2012 at 12:30 PM
Old 05-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #219
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,697
Great post You had an AMAZING couple days!!!
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #220
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Wonderful RR! I am amazed at the levels of enthusiasm that aren't dropping down one bit :) The shot with your grandpa's pic was very nice and so cool, great thought. Hats off man, best of luck and ride on!!!
Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #221
Blue Icebreaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Hey man, are you alive? It's been 11 days since your last post.
Blue Icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #222
Tengai In Toronto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191

HE WAS ABOUT 8, AWESOME

Is that a Hein-Gericke?? Lol, great pics
'93 Dnepr MT-11
'83 Vespa Primavera ET3
Tengai In Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #223
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Talking Alive, kickin, and a laughin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Icebreaker View Post
Hey man, are you alive? It's been 11 days since your last post.

Thanks for checking up.
My Best Friend flew into La Paz .......we have been traveling together for the last week or so, been out in the woods and in the Salt Flats. Got lots of photos and writings to post in the next few days..
Thanks again
Fletch
Old 05-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #224
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Cuzco to puno

DAY-184/185
5/4-5/2012
After all the stairs my knees were f#$%&%, so I took a few days off recovered and worked on my RR and blog. Met a few nice people and just relaxed got ready to shoot for Bolivia. Nothing too crazy met up a few times with friends for beer but other than that took it very low-key.

DAY-186
5/6/2012
I packed up the bike and while doing so was talking with two brothers from Argentina but were ski instructors in Aspen. The hostel worker didnít feeling like getting the ramp out so with a little help from the brothers we dragged it down a few stairs and out into the street. I headed off for Puno on Lake Titicaca. I was coming up onto a town and there was a collectivo van on the other side should right as was about to pass it. They pulled out flipping a U turn in front of me, SHIT!!! I held the horn and slammed through gears and then last resort had to lock up the back I slid all the way to the car and my front tire was basically touching the car. I was straight puckered cannot believe how close that was, and how he did not even take a second to look. I rode up to his window and he sheepishly waved and said sorry. I was still puckered when I rode off.
I was coming through a town when I saw a truck pulling two bikes, and 5 other bikes outside a building with a few people I got excited and honked the horn. They waved and I went on my way. A little bit later I pulled over at a gas station to check my oil level and top it off when a Yamaha Terrene 660 pulled up. We started talking his name is Roger Pattison and he runs Aero Stitch Tours www.aerostitchtours.com, while we were talking another 4 other riders pulled up and we chatted for a few minutes and exchanged our business card (I donít have cards but stickers). Well they took off and a few km down the road I was able to catch up with them and rode for about 50-60km with them which was very nice to ride with a few other people. They pulled off to wait for their chase vehicle and I headed into town starving. After getting lost and turned around I found a hostel with parking, private room, for a whopping 7bucks. I went and found food before getting out of my riding gear. When I got back Roger had already emailed me asking if I wanted to join his group for dinner. I wrote back saying I had already eaten but would love to sit and have a few beers. So I walked to their hotel and met Roger and 5 other riders. There was a couple, Roger, a rad adventure rider who has done an RTW from Seattle, and another rider from North Carolina. They couldnít be nicer we traded stories and talked about our adventures. We stayed for awhile just sitting around talking which was awesome for me. It is so nice to talk to other bikers who get what youíre doing there is nothing to explain they understand what pushes you to get on your bike and go for it. It was nice and a very well needed experience. Just a great night out meeting new people.
I was riding at 4000meters and all of a sudden today the bike started to feel and act strangely. Hitting high revs quickly, shifting strangely, and just not feeling right at all when I let off the gas. Although I am pretty sure it is the altitude, this is the first time I have stayed at high altitudes for a long period of time. I am going to change the oil tomorrow morning before heading off for Bolivia; I am only two hours away and have to make a decision on which border to cross.

AWESOME SHIRT I SAW ON THE WALL OF A BAR, IN CUZCO!!!

HOOKAY BAR LAST NIGHT IN CUZCO WITH MORGAN AND A GIRL FROM SWEDEN

LAKE TITICACA PERU/BOLIVIA

SUCH AMAZING VIEWS FROM THE GOGGLES

WELL HELLO!!!

LOOKIN GOOD AT 4,000+METERS!!
Old 05-18-2012, 10:00 AM   #225
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Bolivia bound!!!

DAY-187
5/7/2012
I needed to change my oil; I searched through Puno for 2+ hours looking for oil with no luck. I decided to go ahead and head for Copacabana in Bolivia, so I just changed my filter. It’s a waste of a filter but I had to no other choice. My bike is running like crap at altitude, I need to change my jets bad. I headed out and the road twisted right next Lake Titicaca all day. I had nervous butterflies today like I always do on Border crossing days. I had been warned and terrorized about the Bolivian crossing. I made it to the border and pulled up to a deserted border crossing, just with two different chains crossing the road. I stopped at the first one and a cop started to talk to me, he was saying I had to come in to the office and show my permit, insurance, driver license, and everything before I can pass. Although one other cop was saying that I could just go to the permit check out, but the other cop insisted on going into the office. I did and I showed him my Permit, tourist card, and stalled on my insurance. Well I don’t have any for Peru because after talking to other riders they never ask for it and nobody seemed to know where to get it; I couldn’t find it at the border. So I heard from another rider about a trick using your home insurance and claim that it is international insurance. I did he was not happy but after 5 minutes of saying that’s all I have and it is my insurance. He threw his hands up looked at the other guy; I smiled said thanks and grabbed my paper and walked back to my bike. I moved it and went and checked my bike out of the country and then got my exit stamp. I headed for Bolivia; I rode up to a metal shut gate. I went received my visa for $135 he took all my money except for one $20 which had a microscopic tear. I then got my Bolivian stamp into the country, I walked out and a cop wanted me to come with him to his office I pointed at the permit office and just walked there he said okay and walked back to his office. There was a young guy doing the bike permits and was so nice and helpful, we chatted as he checked my bike in. A cop was standing outside by my bike the whole time. When we finished up I asked if I was all done and could get on the road. I asked if I needed insurance for Bolivia he said no and I was good to get back on the road, he walked with me to my bike. I was getting ready to go when the cop suddenly asked for my new permit, license, and INSURANCE. He walked away with my stuff and talked with another cop then they took me into an office. We sat there for a while and he kept asking for international Insurance I told him that is what he had in his hand. He then seemed happy, but then wanted the original. That is the original, I bought it and printed it out offline (it is actually just my insurance for Colorado). He kept asking I just kept telling him that it is the original. He then all of a sudden said $10 dollars. I pulled out 40 Bolivian equivalents to 5 bucks or so. He took it quickly and put it in his draw, then wrote down some info on a piece of paper and sent me on my way. I walked out and the young guy who had been helping me asked if all was good, I nodded and made the money movement with my hand. He shook his head and said sorry, that some people in his country were corrupt. I told him no sweat it is part of the adventure and that it has been like that in almost all the countries I have been to. Haha
I pulled into town and found a hostel for cheap with safe garage parking. I then headed to town for food, found a small place with two other travels sat with them and talked for awhile. As I was talking a guy walking with a group stopped and yelled my name it was Kevin from Trujillo who I had hung out for 4 days a couple weeks ago. I met up with him and a few others for dinner. Two girls were from Colorado, Jayme and Julie. We started talking and Julie competed in the North face series in snowboarding. She asked if I knew a girl Mary Boddington, I started to laugh of course I do she was a roommate, a work colleague, dear friend, and she dates a very close friend of mine now. We all started to laugh at how small the world is. They were from Colorado Springs, as we kept talking I found out that Julie was from South Parker. I laughed and asked if she knew a guy who went by Lloyd, no wait that’s what we called him his real name is Aaron Grinter. She stared at me and started to laugh, yup he was her neighbor growing up and his dad coached her basketball team!!! Lloyd is a good friend from college and was my roommate. She knew a few other friends from Parker what a small world. We had a great night drinking beer and eating good food.

DAY-188
5/8/2012
Still no luck roads were still closed to La Paz not only La Paz but all different cities all over Bolivia have been shut down due to road blocks and protesters. My buddy Joel who I met in Panama from NZ riding from Oregon (US) to Cochabamba Bolivia where his brother lives, wrote me and told me not to come to Cochabamba right now not safe and tons of road blocks. My plan had been to ride up to Cochabamba and store my bike/gear at his brothers, then catch a bus back to La Paz to meet my best friend Mikey who is flying in to travel with me for two weeks. So instead I will ride to La Paz and play it by ear and figure it out from there.
I walked around looking for oil again no luck found some but it was crap. I went for a long walk along the shore of Lake Titicaca. I ran into my new friends again and had lunch and decided to meet up for dinner. I took it easy talked with Dusty from Wolfman and arranged a pick up over Wolfman saddle bags and tank saddle bags. Yup that’s right I have been so stoked with Wolfman gear and am tired of the weight and nuisance of bulky plastic saddle bags. Also the weight and no flexibility of hard bags is starting to break my racks (surprise surprise) so I have decided to go all Wolfman Luggage COLORADO WHAT!!! HAHAHA. Poor Mikey is bringing me a bag of stuff down that I need, bike parts, new luggage, hiking boots, hat, and a few other things.
I met up for dinner and had a nice night out and then said our goodbyes and headed for bed to pack and get ready to leave tomorrow.

DAY-189
5/9/2011
I went for a walk, got my bike loaded, paid my hostel bill, and suited up. I was warned that the road blocks were down but still a few mobs causing chaos aka people throwing rocks at you. So being paranoid I hid my new camera deep in my luggage and just left my old trusty camera out. Threw the helmet cam on and was off to find gas. I pulled into the only gas station and waited in line for 10 minutes or so, when it was my turn the guy kept ignoring me obviously not wanting to give me gas. When he was finally going to he told me it was going to be 9.25 Bolivians a Liter ($1.40) instead of the local price that was on the pump of 3.65 Bolivian, ($.60). Fine fine just need gas, he asked how much I said full okay and then he walked away and started filling others up I waited another 5 minutes then he returned and filled me up.
I headed out of town and ran into a Police Check/ Toll booth; the cop waved me into the office. They checked my papers then said ten Bolivians to pass, I said no five, and they quickly agreed. I asked for a receipt, what do you know the permit receipt he gave me said five Bolivians. I headed down the road making good time enjoying the view of riding right next to and above the lake for about 50km’s. I got to the ferry crossing as I pulled up a guy waved me right onto the boat. I say ferry it was a floating wood plank with a small 30cc motor, with one other car on it and off we went. I had to stay on my bike keeping it up right, a passenger of the car got out and I asked him to take a picture for me. He was stepping backwards with my camera and fell into a hole and down he went. He wanted pictures of him posing with him and the car. He started to talk with me asking me all different questions standing in front of my bike.
(For this next part let me explain a little something about me) I have a hard time with massive crowds and with people standing extremely close creeping me out, especially people I do not know or trust.
So he then moved to the right of me leaning against me and my bike with one hand on my bike and the other right next to my pocket of my pants. He kept asking questions and just rambling on, I kept telling him Poco Espanol, didn’t matter then he kept putting his head against my helmet and whispering things that I didn’t understand to me. After about 15 minutes of this I just started saying random crap back to him confusing him. He then leaned in and asked for Gas!! No sorry I am almost out; his friends were laughing and encouraging him. I tried nudging him off of me politely to no avail. He had to be a little hammered I hope, he was starting to really piss me off but I just laughed it off and knew we would be at the other side. Finally when we got to docking he went and sat on the side of the ferry and kept smiling at me. HAHA I have no clue what the hell was going on but I defiantly felt my pocket making sure I felt my wallet. Well we had to back off of it so when I was told to go, it was too uphill for me to back up solo, so I waved him over asking him to help with a push he just sat there laughing and thumbs up. Finally the worker came over and gave me a push and directed me off the boat around the holey ramp. I paid my fee of 3 dollars and got the hell out of there; I had a bad vibe and wanted to get some distance.
A huge mountain range came into view all snow capped and awesome! So pumped but to be honest I had a un easy feeling all day riding like something bad was going to happen, mostly because I knew there would some type of trouble in La Paz. I got into town and had my small city map out and made my way. I came down a one way road and had traffic coming at me what the hell I swerved over to the right and missed them. I got to the problem the road was taken over by a mob a people with a line of men and women standing in the road not letting anyone pass and not flinching when big trucks got right up to them. So I flipped around and followed the traffic, we took a quick turn off and before I knew it we felt like we were headed into town. I stopped and asked a couple on a moto if this was PotosŪ ave, they said yes and gave me the thumbs up, then BOOM BOOM explosions I quickly looked at them the lady on the back smiled and gave me the thumbs up “what the hell”. I rode in circles tons of road blocks by the mobs and cops; I rode the wrong way down one way streets. While riding around I heard more Explosions and defiantly at least one gun shot. I saw a cop, rode up to him going the wrong way he could careless and he pointed me in the right direction, well kind of. After a few more cop direction I got close and finally went for a one way street going the wrong way but saw flags and it looked to be a hostel, yup got it the Wild Rover. I had talked to them before and was told they had safe parking. They did, I checked in and then pulled the bike into the back locked courtyard. About thirty minute later still hearing the explosions (which was tear gas launchers) someone said they just saw the news and one person had been shot and killed CRAZY!!!
I talked with Mike on Skype for a bit he sounded super pumped but def a little nervous which is expected considering he has never really traveled and I have him coming to Bolivia where everything is shut down due to protests and road blocks... haha it will def be an experience for him.
As I was waiting to play pool I saw a girl at the bar that looked very familiar I went up started to talk to her and up we had celebrated New Years in Lanquin Guatemala 3.5 months ago haha awesome!! Played pool with a few guys for a couple of hours and headed for bed.

BOLIVIAN SIDE, LAKE TITICACA

AT THE CHURCH IN COPACABANA

CHURCH OF COPACABANA

CELEBRATIONS STILL GOING ON FROM THE WEEKEND

GOODBYE PERU, HELLO BOLIVIA

HELL YEA, WHAT A RAD PRESENT FROM PERU

GOGGLE SHOTS

FUN FUN ROAD!!!

LOADED UP

WAHT THE FERRY LOOKS LIKE

AND WE ARE OFF!!!

THE CREEPER

ALMOST TO LA PAZ

Thank you all for following my post, so pumped to share my RADTASTIC ADVENTURE with ya'll !!!