User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 08:35 AM   #61
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Oddometer: 353
Talking Antigua is rad, but ready to keep riding

Antigua is rad, a little touristy for my style. I am ready to get back to the coast, I will be heading down toward Sipacate tomorrow. From there I think I will stay with the coast into El Salvidor, if I love it I will stay for awhile if not head toward my friends place in Nicaragua. Anywhere rad I should stop and check out before leaving Guatemala? Any must before Nicaragua? Fletch

www.wheresfletch.com
crestedbutte-rtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #62
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
Great report!

Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #63
Robert Ford
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
LOL

Awesome thread!
Robert Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #64
vadose
Dirt Doc

Oddometer: 7

Really enjoying your RR. Your my first "real time" RR, and my first post!

Vadose
vadose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:09 AM   #65
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Walking around Antigua

DAY 43-
12/17/2011
Antigua
Woke up this morning, went and sat down to have my free breakfast, thinking it was going to be a cruddy Contenital breakfast. I got scrambled eggs, Pancakes, Fruit, Orange juice, and Coffee, it was Delicous. I went for a walk through town just randomly getting lost and taking it all in, found a yamaha dealer and grabbed an extra quart of oil.. you never know. I messed around on the computer for a little while, then headed out to find this Café a friend suggested and get lunch. I stopped to check out some shoes, my skate shoes now suck and are giving me blisters. Found some sweet high top style ones green and yellow which are only 35 bucks think I will grab them tomorrow before leaving, and give mine away.
I found the café spot and ordered the lunch special, soup and sandwich for $4. It was delicous, I hung out there for another 20 minutes before walking home. I was 5 blocks away from my hostel and only 3 minutes away from the café when it hit me. BAM! A war broke out in my stomach, uh oh….. “am I going to make it to my hostel?”. “Okay don’t think about it hurry hurry, walk faster but not to fast to upset it anymore.” “Oh crap, did I walk right by my street?” Yup of course. “Okay time to hurry, turn the corner, okay okay I see it. Should I run? Nono it will make it worse, okay I am within a hundred feet can’t take it anymore run!!!!!” Flew through the doors, workers stared at me as I ran through the common area and disapeared into the Bathroom… Oh that could have been all bad, not feeling great now. I took an hour nap and woke up feeling good. I was actually Hungry. I walked around town and got lost in the market such a cool cool place, ended up at the square eating amazing Chicken sandwiches and Tamales, so so so good. I walked around and went back to the café and drank a few beers and watched a salsa performance with a few new friends from the hostel. Then we all walked back to the hostel. Been very tired the last 4 days.. good night sleep should do the trick… I liked Antigua, but a little toursty for me and I am ready to get back on my bike.

AMAZING VIEWS RIGHT FROM TOWN

WANNA RACE WANNA RACE!!!

NICE AREA NEAR THE HOSTEL

FIRST CLASS MUSICIAN TRANSPORTATION

LUNCH, LOVED AND HATED IT...HAHA

MARKET

MARKET

MARKET

YOU GUESSED IT MARKET!!!

WWW.WHERESFLETCH.COM
Old 12-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #66
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Wicked stuff man. Keep it up!

In Chetumal now. Might be crossing into Belize tomorrow morning, then head to Belize City and see if I can get a ride to Caye Caulker Island.

Guat in 3-5 days.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM   #67
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609
Subscribed !!

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #68
jetjackson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
I'm in.

How did you go getting sponsorship - I see you have a few on your site. Did they just give you free gear, discounts or cash?
jetjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #69
SLO_Jazbec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Im in!!!

btw Crested Butte ROCKS!!!
SLO_Jazbec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #70
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjackson View Post
I'm in.

How did you go getting sponsorship - I see you have a few on your site. Did they just give you free gear, discounts or cash?
Sent a hundred emails out with a proposal and explaining what I was up to and what I was willing to do for them. I recieved discounts and a few freebies. Very grateful for all of the help and support.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #71
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Good day

DAY-44
12/18/2011
SIPACATE-
Had a nice breakfast, skyped for a long time with family, and then packed up the bike, I checked out around noon and headed south. The Road was nice and took me a lot faster than I had planned. I was excited because I didn’t get lost at all, was way too easy. I had heard of a surf lodge down here that you either took a sandy road to or a boat. As I got down to the coast I couldn’t find any signs or markers telling me which way to go. I took a guess headed toward the coast and then started riding a gnarly sandy road out toward the point. One side was the Pacific the other was Salt fields. There were tons of the shallow beds of water everywhere, I watched them work them. They would push all of the water to the corner drain and what was left was a pile of salt which would then be scooped into a bucket.
I rode the road as far as I could until it dead ended into salt fields, it was super sandy on the sides but for the most part if I could stay on the thin center strip of grass it was pretty sturdy. I saw a local and with my very bad Spanish he pointed me toward the lodge, but there was no road just beach. I thought about trying to go for it, gave it throttle and started to sink right as I got off the road. (Too much weight and balding tires) Two guys working came over and pushed me around a structure till I made it back to the road. I drove up to a place where I could pull off the vacant road. I then started to walk down the beach toward the lodge to figure out how I could get there. I didn’t have a good feeling about leaving the bike not locked up so I turned back to lock it up. I locked my back tire and helmet to the center stand. I was dieing in the sun, finally getting there.. Nope the local was wrong not the surf lodge just an expensive resort. I grabbed a Gatorade and headed back. All the way back was worried that someone might have randomly come down the road and took my bike by truck. I started to walk a little faster, after wasting an hour to find out that it wasn’t the lodge I was looking forward to seeing my bike. As I was getting closer I swear I heard a whistle, not someone singing, but more of an alert. Being paranoid I started to walk a lot faster. I was relieved once I saw that the bike was still there, although as I got closer I realized my helmet was not how I left it. Then I also realized my tank bag was open and hanging off the bike only clipped in by one out of the four clips. I don’t know why they didn’t take it all the way off, I don’t think I scared them off I hadn’t seen anyone in a while. Nothing was missing, but there was nothing valuable in it, just guide book, map, tools, spare levers, bear spray, clear Oakley glasses. They could have stolen all of my bags, duffle, backpack, and tank bag. Weird, but I got over it and started heading back to town, looked and looked for a place to stay. Nothing, finally I found a spot but he wanted 35 bucks, so he helped me out and showed me his friends place but no safe parking. I said thanks but headed out of town, it was getting dark quickly I only had 20 minutes before dark. I made the call and decided to be safe than sorry and headed back for the room. No dinner just popcorn and water, too tired to go into town. I realized how awful I am at Spanish and I think I will head back to Antigua and do 5 days of intense Spanish classes, 4 hours a day. I will decided tomorrow.. but I need to be able to at least converse a little. It is the cheapest in Central America; Antigua would be a nice spot to meet some people, cheap hostels, safe parking, and cheap food.

Picture while riding

LUNCH

BIKE LOVES THE PACIFIC

THE ROAD

END OF THE ROAD

SALT WORKERS

ROAD

THEY TRIED BUT DID NOT GET THE TANK BAG OR HELMET

DINNER OF THE BROKE!! STILL FULL AND HAPPY
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #72
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Talking Day 45- nice and relaxing

DAY 45-
12/19/2011
Woke up this morning, yup that’s what I have to do learn Spanish. Loaded up my bike and made it back to Antigua in 1.5hrs, pulled in around 9:30, very smooth and fast trip. I started doing circles looking for a different hostel and who do I see walking down the road, my friend Clay who is also riding a KLR650 down to Argentina. I met him in Puerto Escondido, we started to talk and changing stories and then decided to meet up later for beer/ dinner. I decided to head back to my original Hostel because it has a great place to study and huge breakfast. I checked in and headed down the street to figure out my Spanish school. I walked in to find out prices, I had heard up to $140. He told me $120 for 5 days 4 hours a day, without me bargaining he dropped the prices down to $105 for morning classes and $80 for afternoon, sounds great afternoon please. It breaks down to 4 bucks an hour, but has been warned that it will be 4-6hrs a day of homework which I will be serious about.
So quick story that for some reason I didn’t write about, riding from Puerto Escondido to the Guatemala Border. We had been riding half the day and it started to get really windy, as we stopped for lunch. We joked about the wind and how hot it was and then headed off back on the bikes. As we come around a corner it is just getting windier and windier, all of a sudden there is miles and miles of Wind Turbines coming our way. WAM BAM SLAM, it’s on the wind is slamming into us, all I can do to keep my speed and lay into the wind as hard as I can just to keep the bike on the road. I am a sail getting blow around the road, all my strength just to hold the bike in my lane. If I go left I get hit by a truck or bus and if I go right I fall into trees and marsh. There was one point I was leaning left as hard as I could bike is at a hard angle winds blowing so hard that I start to still slide right toward the trees and marsh lean even harder I don’t know how my tires didn’t just slip out and left me laying on the road.
So that story gets you ready for this one, we were exchange stories over beer and we were just telling each other about different things that had happen we both had unique crazy experiences getting across the border. Then I was like “dude what about that wind getting to the border” He looked at me and said “oh yeah that wind was gnarly I got pushed off the road and wrecked hard.” Wait what! “Yeah I wasn’t going fast about 70km caught a big gust and dropped off the road and wrecked in grass and marsh, luckily there was a big truck of Mexicans running a torch down the road who stopped and helped me.” Not only did they help him get his bike to the road but his Pannier had exploded so all of his clothing and gear was getting blown all over the place so they chased after it all. The wind kept blowing his bike over so he said screw it and threw his bike and himself in the truck and got a lift for about 20km till the wind died down. He told me he had found out that, that stretch was the windiest area in Mexico. The wind comes from the east coast and blast through to the west coast, supposedly people sailing have to watch the winds and time it right to get by on the west coast safely.
We laughed, drank beer, got some street food, and just hung out talking about routes and what not. It is always nice to meet up with another rider who has the same carefree style and are just along for the adventure.
So I will be here in Antigua till Christmas, learning Spanish.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #73
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
san pedro > lake atitlan!
don't miss it. consider one of the top most beautiful lakes in the world.
ride in from the north (pan american hiway & rt 1 through panajchel & down 14, NOT the southern dirt road/14 around the lake - banditos)

you can stay in panajchel but san pedro is packed w/ hipsters having a good time.

take a boat day trip to santiogo atitlan

http://maps.google.com/?ll=14.691542...m&z=14&vpsrc=6

chichicastenango on market day. considered one of the finest markets in CA
http://maps.google.com/?ll=14.941053...m&z=14&vpsrc=6
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #74
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
2 other key places in guatemala...but might too far away from the coast for you.
-tikal - one of the most famous ancient cities.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=17.173595...m&z=10&vpsrc=6
-rio dulce > livingston. boat ride down the river to carribean town of livingston. need to secure a safe place to park bike, but you can check it out on a day trip down and back.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=15.720882...m&z=11&vpsrc=6
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #75
crestedbutte-rtw OP
PRO SHORTBUS RIDER

Laugh Agreed!! Already been there

I have almost the same picture up on my forum of the lake.. haha One of the raddest roads I have ever ridden. Road through on my way from the border to Antigua.. it was super rad.. Def want to go back and spend a night or so we will see, maybe xmas. Hope all is well in Sayulita. Fletch