User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
ytr1903 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
kickstarter locked-R75/5

First time poster here. I just started restoring my 1973 R75/5 SWB. I have owned it since 1979, but haven't driven it in some years. I am now retired, so I have no life and decided to refurbish the ole girl. I am in the process of installing the transmission in the frame. The transmission has never malfunctioned, nor has the kickstarter. I have not taken the transmission apart, but only removed it to paint the frame.When the transmission is on the bench, the kickstarter works perfectly. As soon as I get it connected to the engine, the kickstarter freezes up and won't move. I have had the transmission out three times now and each time the kickstarter operates perfectly on the bench, but when installed it is locked up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom
ytr1903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytr1903 View Post
my 1973 R75/5 SWB. I have owned it since 1979
First off: welcome! Now that's the way to shed of your noob status in the very first post!

About the trans, it seems like something outside of the kickstarter/gearbox combi is causing the lock. I suppose you checked wether the engine spins freely with the spark plugs removed and the gearbox not mounted?
With the trans mounted, can you turn the engine via the rotor and/or can you spin the engine by putting it in 4th and rotating the rear wheel? Any difference with clutch engaged or disengaged, how about when in neutral or in gear? Can you use the kickstarter either with clutch engaged or disengaged? You first need to rule out where the issue 'starts' -> front to rear: engine, clutch, gear(box), kickstarter, drive shaft, final drive, rear brake. I guess the last 3 ones have not been mounted, but if mounted they could cause the whole drive line to jam so you can't enage the kickstarter. First you have to find out which component causes the jam. Then you look into that component. At the moment, with the info provided, there are to many suspects.

O, and don't forget, we need pics, we love pics over here!

jellycow screwed with this post 10-17-2014 at 02:20 PM
jellycow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 864
I agree, make sure the motor spins freely first.

Often the kick start will "end tooth" and not engage properly. This can be cured by either turning the motor to allow the shafts in the transmission to better align or pulling in the clutch and tapping the kick start to allow the gears to align. Jumping up and down on the kick start when it end-tooths will eventually loosen the kick start idler pin in the transmission cover.

If you are pressing on the kick start with your hand, the motor may be at compression, not allowing it to turn easily. Try pulling the spark plugs.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #4
ytr1903 OP
n00b

Thanks for the fast replies.

Here is the scoop.

The bike is getting put back together right now and does not have front or rear wheels or the rear end. I have the spark plugs out and the motor turns just as I think it should.

I like the "end tooth" theory that you have proposed and will try your suggestions in the morning. Right now it is Friday night and I am going to have a beer.

Does the fact that the throwout assembly is not installed have any effect on the kickstarter? I would guess that it does not, but I better throw that in the mix.

I will also take some pictures in the morning and see if I can upload them here.

Thanks so much,
Tom
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
ytr1903 OP
n00b

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/ytr...?sort=3&page=1

Here are three pics of the bike.

The "end tooth" theory worked perfectly. I was so excited that I dragged my lovely bride out to the garage and had her help me get the trans in one more time. I held the kickstart lever down about half way while we wrestled the front shaft into the engine. I then rotated the engine with the rotor as we slid it together. Bingo! Everything works now. Thanks so much for your help. Now I really have a reason for that beer.

Tom