Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #181
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
Is there any info on spring rates when putting these forks on an airhead? I'm not finding much. Shouldn't the kg/mm weight be the same regardless of the fork?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:34 PM   #182
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,951
10-22-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Thanks for doing all the research on this, man. I'm hoping to do this next year.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:40 PM   #183
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I feel like 3 years of my life disappeared after I graduated.

When I'm old and close to kicking the bucket I plan on hunting down the asshole bankers that did that to me. It'll be like the witch hunt going on for 70 year old Nazi prison guards.

I'll kick in the door at the old folks home, snatch up some sleeping geriatric and start screaming in his face. 'DID YOU WORK FOR JP MORGAN BETWEEN 2008 AND 2012?! WELL DID YOU!?" Then I'll strangle him with his bathrobe.

Ah dreaming of a brighter future really puts a spring in your step ya know?

Old 05-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #184
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
I feel like 3 years of my life disappeared after I graduated.

When I'm old and close to kicking the bucket I plan on hunting down the asshole bankers that did that to me. It'll be like the witch hunt going on for 70 year old Nazi prison guards.

I'll kick in the door at the old folks home, snatch up some sleeping geriatric and start screaming in his face. 'DID YOU WORK FOR JP MORGAN BETWEEN 2008 AND 2012?! WELL DID YOU!?" Then I'll strangle him with his bathrobe.

Ah dreaming of a brighter future really puts a spring in your step ya know?
You sound like a veteran government worker already!
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #185
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
Is there any info on spring rates when putting these forks on an airhead? I'm not finding much. Shouldn't the kg/mm weight be the same regardless of the fork?
I currently have .62kg/mm springs in mine to support my 220 lb ass. They're a bit on the stiff side, even with the HPN supertanker full. They're better suited to "spirited" dirt riding than lazy-boy cushy highway riding. Still working out the stiction, dammit.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #186
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

the stiction issues have me worried. From what I've read it's something that KTM has been fighting on the 4860s for as long as they've been making them. Seems like the newer you go, the better they are though. There are some 2011 forks on eBay right now I might get. I want to do some more reading before I buy a set though.

What seals are you using?

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 06:12 PM
Old 05-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #187
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I currently have .62kg/mm springs in mine to support my 220 lb ass. They're a bit on the stiff side, even with the HPN supertanker full. They're better suited to "spirited" dirt riding than lazy-boy cushy highway riding. Still working out the stiction, dammit.

Still have stiction issues?

May be time to think about some right-side-ups

Btw - Hyperpro Amsterdam set up my WP50s on progressive springs that are 0.50-0.70kg/mm and the setting felt spot on
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #188
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
Still have stiction issues?
Yep, still... but mainly because I haven't really done anything about it. I still need to try swapping in a different wheel and spacers and maybe using different triples to eliminate those possible sources of misalignment.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #189
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

How much do you weigh brad? I got my 4860's re-vamped at FTR suspension for my bike and my weight... but I'm about 225 naked.

Aren't a bunch of you guys just little fellas? I think Ras and I are about the same size and weight. The reason I ask is that I could tell you what was recommended to me but it may not be right for you.
Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #190
RemcoR
RR

Oddometer: 6
There are special 'low friction' seals available for these forks (SKF I believe). Maybe these will reduce stiction on your forks, as the did with mine. Ask Prutser (also hanging around on this forum somewhere).

Regards,
Remco
RemcoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #191
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I'm 165. Ya'll need to get a bike with pedals

To complicate that my bike is going to have an 11 gallon HPN tank(45 liter) with 20 pounds(44kg) of tools and Jesse boxes most of the time. I've got an 8 pound tank(18kg) and a different sub-frame/seat I'm planning to put on so I can cut weight in a hurry. I'm expecting it to be about a 70 pound(154kg) weight differential not counting the gas.

The plan was to get a fork somewhere in the middle and tune it with the compression damping.

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 01:07 PM
Old 05-31-2014, 02:41 PM   #192
GrahamM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
I'm 205lbs, small g/s tank to passenger or loaded heavily, 100mm reduction in stroke to stock g/s geometry, skf seals and spring design to suit. Front end is awesome, I just have to work on the rear shock now. Anyone want me to find out the details of spring rate and oil viscosity that the suspension guy did? I put a tie-wrap on the front fork and I pretty much use all the stroke in the rough stuff.

Been distressed lately getting the KTM 570 all set up, single day 800km rally coming up I have get ready for:)
'81 R80G/S: WP4860 KTM front end
'91 R100GS, bumble bee

GrahamM screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 02:46 PM
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:15 PM   #193
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemcoR View Post
There are special 'low friction' seals available for these forks (SKF I believe). Maybe these will reduce stiction on your forks, as the did with mine. Ask Prutser (also hanging around on this forum somewhere).
I already have them.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #194
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Quote:
I'm 205lbs, small g/s tank to passenger or loaded heavily, 100mm reduction in stroke to stock g/s geometry, skf seals and spring design to suit. Front end is awesome, I just have to work on the rear shock now. Anyone want me to find out the details of spring rate and oil viscosity that the suspension guy did? I put a tie-wrap on the front fork and I pretty much use all the stroke in the rough stuff.
I'd appreciate it if it's not too much trouble. I'll be looking to buy springs some time this month.

Any suggestions on a place to get shorter springs? I'll be lowering the forks down to the stock 8".

Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #195
GrahamM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
I'd appreciate it if it's not too much trouble. I'll be looking to buy springs some time this month.

Any suggestions on a place to get shorter springs? I'll be lowering the forks down to the stock 8".
Talk to Rob Lang at Lang' off road... He did my forks. New seals, guides, spacers for height reduction and new springs.

www.langsoffroad.com

He does a lot of wp suspension work for us in the area. I am sure he will help you out with information.

Mention that you want to do a similar thing as graham from Peterborough did.
'81 R80G/S: WP4860 KTM front end
'91 R100GS, bumble bee
GrahamM is offline   Reply With Quote