ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
barko1 OP
barko1

Oddometer: 3,312
Where to live in the N. GA Mountains?

I was planning on moving to Colorado but wife wants to be near kid in Atlanta so change in moving plans. I'm retired, want at least a few acres, kind of away from people, nice views, don't need a Walmart next door. Does it matter much being in TN, NC or GA? Less tax is better but probably with 2 hours of ATL . Any thoughts or recommendations welcome.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Personally, I would draw a box with Ellijay, Jasper, Dawsonville, and Dahlonega as the four corners and start looking within for something I liked. If I thought I needed city amenities, I'd drop the box down to about Canton. Closer to Atlanta than that, and I'd rather be in Hell.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
barko1 OP
barko1

Thanks, been looking at some of that. How about further North, Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Hiawassee?
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, KDX220
Old 12-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1 View Post
Thanks, been looking at some of that. How about further North, Blue Ridge, Blairsville, Hiawassee?
Nice also if not too far away from ATL to suit your wife. Hard to go wrong in that general area for my tastes.

beemerphile screwed with this post 12-24-2014 at 02:27 PM
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
peejman
i wanna ride

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Nice also if not too far away form ATL to suit your wife. Hard to go wrong in that general area for my tastes.
Agreed. The whole area is beautiful.

TN doesn't have a state income tax or personal property tax like GA and NC do. But they make up for it with a higher sales tax. I think property taxes are comparable, but I'm not sure about NGA specifically.
peejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Porkchop316
Patent pending

Oddometer: 170
My favorite part of north Georgia is Colorado

But if you are coming here I would factor in where your wife's kid lives. There are basically three routes heading north in/out of Atlanta: I-75, GA 400 and I-85. If you and/or your wife will be visiting them often, due to Atlanta's notorious traffic, this will be a concern. I personally prefer 400 over the full-on interstate experiences of 75 and 85.

Via 400 you get great access to Dawsonville, Dahlonega, Cleveland and the areas beyond of each of these.

Via 75/575/515 you get great access to Jasper, Ellijay, and even Blue Ridge and Blairsville.

Via 85/985 you can hit Gainesville, Cornelia, Clarksville, Toccoa and beyond.

All of the towns above have distinct vibes and their own pros and cons.

I'm in Dahlonega because I still need to have quick and easy access to Atlanta and it's a great little mountain town. If I took easy access to Atlanta out of the equation, I likely would choose the Clayton/Rabun area. IMHO Helen is to be avoided it's generally a crowded tourist town.

All of the burgs listed above even Helen offer great access to paved twisties and plenty of FS riding. Other things to consider: how remote do you want to be? What elevation suits you? Which services do you consider necessities groceries, hospitals, MC shops?

Take a look at the map and plan a scouting trip to Two Wheels of Suches MC lodge and campground this spring.
http://twowheelsofsuches.com/ A week or two of riding in the area should answer many of your questions.
Porkchop316 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
barko1 OP
barko1

Great info. I really don't want to be close to ATL not sure about wifey yet, will figure that out but if I have to be 1700 miles from Colorado I figure an extra 1/2 hour to Atl would be fair Not matter the distance I told her I ain't going to no stoopid 1 year old birthdays So ATL has the airport and SX, anything else I need? I've been in the desert 25 years, this wasn't really my call but if I can get a nice place and some good roads I'll be OK! I think I want about as much elevation as I can get, now at 4225'.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,489
i'm (slowly moving back) from hayesville nc

now livinig in gainesville because to me 985 is the best 4 (5, 6 8) lane outta atlanta

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Brickit
Not a spectator

Oddometer: 24
Tn ...

I've lived in many states and stayed in Tn after getting here. Sales Taxes are better if you can shop across the state line. Don't get to close to Chattanooga.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
It really all depends where in ATL you need to go. I live in Sautee close to Duncan Bridge rd and although using 985/I85 in distance is farther, for me to make it to work in Midtown is faster than taking 400. Mind you, I go very early and if I miss my window to I-85 the 1 hour 20 minute commute becomes 2 hours or more. Once they changed the HOV lanes to pay lanes I-85 has become more of a clusterfuck than it ever was.

What works for me is that I go there once a week. The rest of time I have all these great roads to ride and enjoy the outdoors so is worth it. I live at 2,000 feet elevation and in my area 4,500 is common but not like the elevations that you are used to in Colorado.

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Blairsville is our home away from home when we visit. One of my best friends has a cabin there, and we rent his cabin several times a year. When retirement comes for me, Lord willing, we'll be heading north!
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #12
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,996
Lived in Clayton full time for 26 years, weekends before that. Works for me. I am perfectly happy being down in the valley. Trying to navigate the ridge roads in the winter really sucks. We don't have the equipment here to do things right and the freeze thaw cycle makes the dirt roads a mess during the winter. You deal with ice on the way down in the mornings and mud on the way up in the afternoons. With over 100" of rain a year it is quite different than the desert.

There is a very narrow strip of counties in North GA that will give you the high elevations you desire.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
barko1 OP
barko1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Lived in Clayton full time for 26 years, weekends before that. Works for me. I am perfectly happy being down in the valley. Trying to navigate the ridge roads in the winter really sucks. We don't have the equipment here to do things right and the freeze thaw cycle makes the dirt roads a mess during the winter. You deal with ice on the way down in the mornings and mud on the way up in the afternoons. With over 100" of rain a year it is quite different than the desert.

There is a very narrow strip of counties in North GA that will give you the high elevations you desire.

That is a hell of a lot of precipitation, will factor that in. I think we had about 7" last year. I don't need to be on a ridgetop but a nice view is always appreciated. I think I'll be over that way in a couple months to scout it out. Once I sell here and my wife's condo in Atlanta we'll have to grab something quick. Guess I'll have to get used to wet dogs

Old 12-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
ZCarFan2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Don't forget that "North Georgia" could also extend west all the way to Alabama by some definitions. Less elevation and a big flat spot in the middle if you go a bit south (look up the Valley and Ridge and the Appalachian Plateau).

Just had to put in a word for my corner of the state. :)
ZCarFan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
Turtletownman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Helen, Dahlonega, are both on the south end of mountains. Good rides are to the north. Moving to Fannin, Union, Towns or Rabun county are all in the mountains with good riding in every direction. Murphy, NC has a Lowes and Walmart. Blue Ridge has a Home Depot, a good Ace a large Ingles Grocery store and Walmart. I lived in Turtletown, TN for a few years and was able to head in any direction for a mountain road ride. In TN, TDOT salts state highways with a brine before snow and they are normally passable. Back roads can be difficult without fwd. Mountain tops have great views, but the family car won't get to the top during the few days a year of snow.
I have never lived east of there so cannot comment on conditions. I know Suches, GA has a school for all grades because the school buses cannot travel the roads during bad weather.
In Polk County Tennessee there is no wheel tax so a car tag be it a new Rolls or a junk chevy is $24.00 a year. No other taxes. In TN real property is taxed based on 25% of appraised value while in GA taxes are based on 45%. Keep this in mind when comparing tax rates. Tn does not have an income tax, but savings account interest, stock dividends and commercial income are taxable. Georgia taxes everything.
TN sales tax is higher than Ga, but living on the border, It was necessary to cross a state line for most shopping.
Blue Ridge has a large second home contingent. It is changing to take advantage of this source of income.
TVA lakes are at full pool levels only during summer and are typically dropped 30 or more feet after Labor Day.
I have lived in suburban Atlanta and was happy to leave.
In retirement, I live thirty miles from the nearest city with shopping and over a hundred form a major city. Being retired we do like country folk did long ago and make a once a week trip to town. It's a big thrill-well not really-but we do all shopping on one day.
There are motorcycle shops in the mountain area.
I hope you can find a place you and the wife can both enjoy.

Bob
Turtletownman is offline   Reply With Quote