ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #826
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
I'm headed up that way for a hike on Friday, so I'll go for it then unless someone beats me to it.
cameron110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #827
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron110 View Post
I'm headed up that way for a hike on Friday, so I'll go for it then unless someone beats me to it.

So, no go?

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #828
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Was running late to meet up with people for the hike, I took the bike but didn't have time to re-hide so I didn't grab it.

Jasonn and I are planning to ride on Sunday so we might go for it then no matter where it is.

Game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
So, no go?
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #829
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 500
We gave this a shot today and couldnt figure out the trees!! We had an awesome ride came back via Aylor road ... Talk about a lot of washed out rocky sections. Wont make it back there this weekend so good luck to the next person who tried. Maybe we just missed the obvious. I don't know.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #830
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,131
Grab Today

Yep, FATNBLD made the grab. I had to attemp a little rescue mission late this afternoon. He had a flat and I brought him a can of Fixaflat. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Either a can issue or valve stem issue. I had a nice ride on the Beastie across Blakey though. The Aylor Holler road is great, too. Hope ya'll tried the road up to the Sag. Sorry, you couldn't figure out the trees. Shoot me a PM when you're going to ride the Coal road again.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #831
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuckaroo68 View Post
Yep, FATNBLD made the grab. I had to attemp a little rescue mission late this afternoon. He had a flat and I brought him a can of Fixaflat. Unfortunately, it didn't work. Either a can issue or valve stem issue. I had a nice ride on the Beastie across Blakey though. The Aylor Holler road is great, too. Hope ya'll tried the road up to the Sag. Sorry, you couldn't figure out the trees. Shoot me a PM when you're going to ride the Coal road again.
O good! Glad someone got the tag... We still had a lot of fun. Will definitely let you know when we hit coal road again!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #832
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Lame Tag due to a lame bike

Hey everybody,

Sorry this took so long. Had trouble with my pics uploading.

Yep, I grabbed VABuckaroo's TAG today around 12:30 ish. Grab was successful and it was just the beginning of a very long day.

I did take Buckaroo's advice and rode up the road to the Sag, great road, mainly due to how fast you can go, Solid!

Then I rode back down and headed deeper into the RWMA and found a nice spot by the river at which to take a break, drink a Mountain Dew and read a book. I hung there for an hour or so, then headed back.

When I got to the Saddle something inside me said "Hey, you know you shouldn't do this by yourself, but, ahhhh, you'll be fine, go ahead and take that road all the way through to Blakey's Ridge down to Ruth rd. It'll be fine."

And it was fine, until I got a flat tire. Probably a pinch flat. VABuckaroo dropped everything and rode up to bail me out, with the hope that Fix-a-flat would indeed fix my flat. No such luck however. And riding out on the flat didn't work out too well either, it was kind of like rolling on a bunch of billiard balls. So I parked the bike and started walking. VABuckaroo assured me it was about 1-1.5 miles.

I'd like to be clear that VABuckaroo is awesome, he came out to rescue me today. Of the people that could get to my location, his was the only number I had in my phone. He brought, and freely handed over to me, a lot of fix a flat, a disc lock, advice, and general coolness. Thank you so much. I'll get you that disc lock as soon as possible, and I'll buy you lunch next time we go out for a ride. Many thanks John.

My lovely little wifey was waiting for me down where Burnt Ridge Rd meets Ruth Rd. That turned out to be more like, well, exactly 4 miles. It was plenty dark by the time I got there. We drove home, grabbed the truck, some ramps, and some tie downs and headed back out, up the mountain where we found the bike, unmolested.

We got the bike loaded up, and gingerly drove the four miles back to pavement. And that's where I placed the TAG. There's a street sign at the end of the fire road I was on at Ruth Rd, kind of in the yard of a big white house (actually, I thought it was a church, now I'm not so sure.) It was dark, it was late, I was tired, and so I only took these two pictures of the sign that I think says Burnt Ridge Fire Rd.

I know, technically I didn't ride there, but somehow I still got a shot of my bike and the tag location, it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying!

The tag is stuck deep in the grass at the base of that sign

Sorry for the late post, and I hope someone is still able to go out and get it tomorrow.

Hey TuffStuff, any chance you did find the right trees, but just got Bruced?

Later,
FATNBLD

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.

FATNBLD screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 08:02 AM Reason: Fixed some grammar, gave VABuckaroo more credit for the willingness to help me out.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 AM   #833
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

What an adventure! Sorry we didn't run into you when you were hiking out. Hope someone can get your tag today. We can't unfortunately. I don't know if we were bruced or just didn't figure the tees out. Either way we were bruced :)

tuffstuff screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 01:06 PM
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #834
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
I don't know if we were bruced or just didn't figure the tees out. Either way we were vertices :)
The trees were right at the spot where Quaker run Rd goes from pavement to dirt, and starts to get steep. It's at a fairly sharp right hand turn as you go up, and it's all gravel from there to camp Hoover.

Once I figured out the synonom for Pilgrim, and therefore the road the tag was on, I recognized the spot immediately. Been camping up there many times.

J.R.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:10 PM   #835
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Grab. Junction of Burnt Ridge Fire Rd and Ruth Rd

Sorry for the crummy grab pic, that is a house so we wanted to grab a quick pic before people got annoyed

The new tag spot is much closer to town. It is on a lane possibly named after a British record label started by Edward Lewis in 1929.

If you travel the road north to south the tag will be on your right just a bit before the goose and chicken crossing.

They look like boulders as you approach but they are very narrow spines of rock. The tag is hidden on the top of the lower one.

if you are on a bike that is even the slightest bit fun on pavement twisties do your self a favor and try the following. Approach the tag from the north then continue on the the southern end of the gravel road. Take a right at the stop and then your first right after only 20 yards or so onto Tilman, There are a couple very nice tight corners and it will pop you out back on 250.

Jasonn had a particularly good time on that road on his FZ1.

cameron110 screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 08:26 AM
Old 10-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #836
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron110 View Post
Sorry for the crummy grab pic, that is a house so we wanted to grab a quick pic before people got annoyed
Yeah, I know what you mean. My wife was yelling at me not to do it last night but I thought since it was a public road street sign, and I was in and out of there quickly, it would be fine.

sorry 'bout that.

J.R.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #837
cameron110
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. My wife was yelling at me not to do it last night but I thought since it was a public road street sign, and I was in and out of there quickly, it would be fine.

sorry 'bout that.

J.R.

No problem at all, no one complained at us we just wanted to be conscientious about a couple motorcyclist taking pics of someones house.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #838
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

I like the new tag spot. Wish I was in town to grab it! If I had a bike here I'd find a tag game in SoCal. Let's see where the tag is when I get back. I have a feeling I know who might get this one .... He's a happy fun guy ;)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #839
vabuckaroo68
Gnarly!

Oddometer: 1,131
Sorry about the mis-calc. on mileage hard judging distance when there's no road to look at. Glad things worked out on the next drop and grab. Down in Eldridge, AL working horses and wishing I had brought the Beastie to go play on some these dirt roads down here.
04 KTM 950 ADV ~ "BEASTIE", '08 KTM 450 XCR-W, Husky 360 WR/CR, Bultaco Frontera 250
vabuckaroo68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #840
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Why not?

Grab

Decca Lane

Tag, on "___Mills Road" just below this quarry. (___ de Janeiro)

Make sure you're off the road for this one. Large trucks happen.

Get out and Ride!

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote