ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #121
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATNBLD View Post
Dang, another tag on my way to work. Hmm gonna have to expand our horizons a bit soon.
I agree ... only problem is that if it's placed too far unless one of us can get out during the day during the week it will sit longer. I like having the tag close by so we can run out and grab it for quick short rides now that it's getting dark early and about to get colder too.

But feel free to take it further ... someone will carve out time to get it on a longer ride :) I'll just be "sick" at work one day... hehe. I had an idea last night to take it to a completely different place that is more interesting if I would have had more time. I'll try to take it there on the next one.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:42 AM   #122
mriderleon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Nice spot.

It looks like they cleaned up before the Google car came through. Pretty stream, mowed field and view of a road in the far background.

mriderleon screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 06:55 AM
mriderleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #123
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,852
TAG has been grabbed and moved. Pictures of the GRAB & new TAG to follow; gotta go take care of the animals first while there's still a little daylight left.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #124
FATNBLD OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Sweet!

"You've got to put your shoulder up against the stone, it don't matter if you ever get it rolling." Band of Heathens - Shine a Light.
FATNBLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #125
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,852
The GRAB, little creek near the intersection of Adance Mills Rd and Frays Mill Rd.

It took me a while to figure out the exact spot; I got the Advance Mills area figured out right away but it it took me some scouring on Google Earth to figure out exactly which creek crossing was the TAG spot.

Anyways, here's the new TAG:

TAG Mascot is inside the railroad tie where the red arrow is pointing to the left of my bike. Close up of hiding spot:

And covered up with leaves:

Pictures from the TAG area:

This should be all the CLUES you need:

BE AWARE!!!:

Happy Taggin'!
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #126
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Nice spot! I've been wanting to go there, but I won't get back on the bike for a couple days at least so someone may beat me.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #127
grizz47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey Bowtie,
I've been stuck in NZ a few times myself. Always loved it there. Spend time around Christchurch area traveling to and from Antarctica. Would love to taste a DB, Canterbury, or Monteith again. Hard to beat NZ beer. What area are you in? Sorry to get off topic but...

Roy
grizz47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #128
Bowtie76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz47 View Post
Hey Bowtie,
I've been stuck in NZ a few times myself. Always loved it there. Spend time around Christchurch area traveling to and from Antarctica. Would love to taste a DB, Canterbury, or Monteith again. Hard to beat NZ beer. What area are you in? Sorry to get off topic but...

Roy
Grizz

I'm here in Christchurch for a conference. Been here all week, leaving tomorrow AM.

Now that you mention it I'm typing this with a Monteith Golden Lager in my hand.

I rented a bike on Tuesday and went over Author's pass, had lunch in Hokihito, then went north to Wellington (foulwind bay) and back to Christchurh by way of Lewis pass. Awsome weather and great way to see the country.

I'll defininately have to come back some time and hit the smaller road, but only had a day and wanted to see an much of the south island as I could.

We will have to catch up some time a swap lies.
Bowtie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #129
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

A day with See Do

Thanks for putting this tag in such a great spot! See Do and I had a good ride today before I finally set him in a new home waiting for someone else to pick him up.

THE GRAB: Barboursville vineyards off Rte 777, at the parking lot for the Barboursville ruins.

See Do was just relaxing in his little cozy spot:

Under this sign:

With this view:

We didn't take off right away, instead we walked around the ruins together and See Do learned some history and posed in front of the ruins:

Then we left and made a stop together to see some beautiful cars, rest in front of a couple quaint stores, and watch a train - what great little town:

Finally we meandered down roads off the main road that sent us further South from Barboursville and we finally turned down the road that See Do now sits. The road is two words. The first word is the last name of an author who writes books a lot of women seem to like. One of the books was recently made into a movie that Julia Roberts starred in. The second word is common to a lot of the roads in this area - probably because of the railroads in the area.

Once again, See Do sits on another bridge. I think he likes bridges and streams as much as I do and he and I always have a great time listening to the water running before we part ways. First we looked on both sides of the bridge:

He is sitting on the second side below where he sits in this picture

And directly behind my bike in this picture

Another critter that use to live here made a bit of a nest for him so he is comfy and happy

It was a good day for a ride! See Do is a good passenger.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #130
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,708
Nice grab, tag and post tuffstuff!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #131
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Nice grab, tag and post tuffstuff!
It was a good day... I wish I could ride every day!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #132
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,266
Great fun seeing all the tag spots so close to my house in places I recognize. Hope SeeDoo doesn't get washed away - that bridge floods before any other around here! (And FYI - that was a nice, long gravel road until a few years ago, before VDOT's "Pave in Place" BS ruined the good roads.
Ya'll have fun.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #133
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Great fun seeing all the tag spots so close to my house in places I recognize. Hope SeeDoo doesn't get washed away - that bridge floods before any other around here! (And FYI - that was a nice, long gravel road until a few years ago, before VDOT's "Pave in Place" BS ruined the good roads.
Ya'll have fun.
Now I am worried! This is a lot of rain we are getting today and I don't want See Do to wash away! Do you think it will flood with this rain? Is it against the rules for me to get him in my car and put him back when the rain slows down tomorrow?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #134
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Now I am worried! This is a lot of rain we are getting today and I don't want See Do to wash away! Do you think it will flood with this rain? Is it against the rules for me to get him in my car and put him back when the rain slows down tomorrow?
Nahh, don't do that. Mascots get lost sometimes. Who knows, some nut might be on his/her way over there on a bike.

If SeeDoo goes for a swim, the next tagger will just get to swing by the dollar store or raid the kid's room for the next one.

Would really suck to have SeeDoo warm and cozy at your place while some rider risks life and limb and a wet butt riding to get a silly tag in a downpour.

(It has been known to happen...)

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #135
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Nahh, don't do that. Mascots get lost sometimes. Who knows, some nut might be on his/her way over there on a bike.

If SeeDoo goes for a swim, the next tagger will just get to swing by the dollar store or raid the kid's room for the next one.

Would really suck to have SeeDoo warm and cozy at your place while some rider risks life and limb and a wet butt riding to get a silly tag in a downpour.

(It has been known to happen...)
haha! good point.