Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #1
MotoDisney OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Downsizing from a Vulcan 1600 to F650

All,

Second post here! I am seeking some advice from those who ride thumpers reguarly. I am looking at an F650 single (used) to replace my current ride since I can't afford to keep both. I have sat on the Low (g650gs) and it seems to fit me very well, the standard height is just too high even with the low seat. I have looked at a number of standard street bikes such as the sv650, gladius, triumph bonneville se and a few others but seem to be intriugeed with the f, abs and heated grips would be a nice additon.

I am considering selling my 2004 Vulcan 1600 in favor of something lighter. Looking for input.

My background on riding: I have been riding for 12 years and started out on a Vulcan 750, great bike but wanted someting newer and of course bigger hence the 1600. I have traditionally stayed with cruisers as I"m short in stature and want to be able to have some control over the motorcycle when stopped, parking and moving it around the garage to get it into the corner (bad motorcycle!, actually so my wife can get her car in! as well) This is why I favor to have 3/4 touching but I don't have to be flat footed. I have taken several of the MSF courses and consider myself a conservative rider but a life long learner!

Looking to go smaller/lighter why?
700+ lbs is a pain in the rear to move around

My floorboards don't have much left of the scrape indicators, I could slow down but it's a cruiser so it's easy to scrape

Think riding something lighter more flickable might be a lot of fun

How would you rate the power on the f650? My cruiser only puts out 54 horse at the rear but torque if pretty high but at almost 2x the weight would the f650 still have the get up and go? I mostly ride one up 90% of the time.

Anyone have any experience going to this much smaller of a bike per se?

Thanks for any input.
MotoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
moriverdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
i think u will be happy with the power and weight. it likes the revs in the 4500 and up. if u dont use the full rpm range it might seem unimpressive. they are known for going to 100000 miles easy with regular maint. ABS makes it a little more difficult to work on but worth the trade off.

lots of info at f650.com

check the faq for buying a used bike. piles in info there
moriverdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
MotoDisney OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriverdirt
i think u will be happy with the power and weight. it likes the revs in the 4500 and up. if u dont use the full rpm range it might seem unimpressive. they are known for going to 100000 miles easy with regular maint. ABS makes it a little more difficult to work on but worth the trade off.

lots of info at f650.com

check the faq for buying a used bike. piles in info there
Thanks for your insight. I am going to look at one this weekend so we'll see how it rides. It'll be different from the vtwin.
MotoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
moriverdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
try here first

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/F650HistoryDifferences.htm

i thought the low fit me perfect too but the dealer told me i want the regular height for ground clearance. I'm glad he did.
moriverdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #5
icebox
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Short

I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I ride a F650 Dakar, two inches taller than the F650, you get used to it pretty fast, I have not lowered it at all, and am glad i didn't. But i don't ride in traffic much. It is much stronger above 4500, but it is an amazingly flexible motor. I ride in Yellowstone a lot and 3000 is normal. If you don't roll it on to quickly and ease into the throttle, it will pull from 3 quite easily and give you 70 plus mpg. Every time I think I should go bigger I go on a ride where the versatility and fuel mileage just blow me away. Rode over to Cody the other day, two up, crossed two passes over 8000', and averaged 74 mpg. All the time the bike soaked up frost heaves, pot holes, scraped the pegs a time or two in sharp corners, and never complained.
icebox is online now   Reply With Quote