User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
Euromad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Found a 125 Rickman Zundapp

Hello all, used to be on Advrider but they've lost me so I am noobed again. Used to be Eurofreak...
Anyways I recently found this Rickman and am looking for part sources especially different size pistons and a headlight/tailight combo.
Rickmans were built in Britain using Zundapp and Montesa engines and then later did a lot of custom frames for Triumphs etc. beautiful nickel plated and sturdy compared to the Jap stuff.

This model is a '74 Six Days model-should have lights. The engine is an 18 hp 5 speed with a chrome bore. Current piston and rings are a little loose for the bore wear. Bosch Electronic ignition and a Bing 53 carb. Any leads would be appreciated. Still trying to post a picture-sorry
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Rabbitson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I don't have any idea but I'd like to see some pictures of the beast if you feel like posting.

David
Rabbitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 642
A few to try: http://www.thekingofpiston.com/sito/...lese/index.htm
http://www.speedandsport.com/rickman.html
http://www.bore-tech.com/RickmanParts.html
'88 Ducati Paso, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,387
I've got a bare tank and frame of the Rickman Zundap...I'm looking for a donor bike to supply engine forks and wheels.Plenty of room to fit almost anything,but the forks will need to be short.It's not really the real thing,it's the military version with a steel tank and frame.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
Euromad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks guys. I'm still trying to downsize the pictures- didn't think it would be so difficult. Need to figure it out.
MZ Rider- all those sites have something so i may be in luck for the piston. Appreciate it.
Motu, I think all the smaller bikes and steel tanks and frames. Ceriani or Betor forks were used. Yeah, a lot of Rickmans were sold as a frame kit so there's plenty of room for many 125-250 motors.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Eurobad, I don't know who you use to host your pictures, but if I publish my pictures to Photobucket in the small size, they will go right to Ad Rider afterwards.
I saw a bike like yours (ISDT)only it was set up for a Triumph Cub motor and the owner converted it to a Honda. He has it street legal and rides it around town. Pretty cool.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Euromad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Don't have a place to host pics- guess I'll get on it
Got a new piston ring from Rik Smets- He used to play B-ball is a big vintage enthusiast. Popped it in today and she fired up!!
Rode it down the road quick as that's the only place w/o snow-got pulled over by my neighbor cop. She was amused and I promised to go home.
The carb still isn't right- no low end and leaky. Higher in the revs it does start to move well. Clutch and all five speeds work fine.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
Euromad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

See if this works
Old 02-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #9
Euromad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I want to paint it Rickman red after doing a little bodywork.
Hey motu, I was wrong. Earlier Rickmans-'72's and earlier-came with fiberglas tanks according to my parts manual.
The Jap motor route is a possibility-I considered a Honda XL175 or Yamaha Dt 175- we'll see.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
motu
Loose Pre Unit

So,the later ones had metal tanks? Mine is a '73,so that explains the metal tank.The tail piece has been bogged up - but I remember when I saw this bike 25 years ago that it had a radio mount on the rear.I haven't been able to find much about the military Rickman 125's....could your reshearch into these bikes shed any more light for me?

I've got 4 Honda singles here - my own TLR200,a TL125,SL125 and XL125.Logic says a Honda single for me....but a 2 stroke would be interesting too.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #11
Euromad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a manual that goes to '73 models. The police bike has a small fairing, leg guards, panniers, and a radio w/antenna mounted on the back. A low fender with a rubber guard for the front. It lists the gas (petrol) tank as fiberglass. Other specs are the same for the frame.
Haven't measured but if an XL 250 motor fits, the frame is light and very sturdy. Well able to handle the power. It would also allow me to use it on the road a little. I know a Yamaha 175 will fit- one is on fleabay right now.
Got a few old yamahas I can steal an engine from
The more I think of it the more I want as big a motor as possible. I'm very impressed with how well built the frame is.
Someone wants to buy the 125 motor so...
As to your fender, go to http://www.rickman-motorcycles.com
They have new fenders. You can buy one or even repair yours to match one of their pictures.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Police? Possibly,but I seem to remember some were used by the military.By bogged up I mean filler has been used over the radio mount to give a normal Rickman guard look,but underneath you can see the radio mount.The engine mounts have been cut off my frame,a previous owner was going to fit a 500cc Triumph.I remember that guy,he had been impressed with my 500cc Rickman Triumph and wanted to make one too.I didn't connect him to this bike until I saw the radio mount.

So,having no engine mounts means I can put in anything that fits.I am waiting for something to fall into my lap....I prefer that approach than clinically deciding on an engine and going out to find one.Living in a farming area with lots of farm bikes,I'm sure something will turn up one day...no hurry.If you don't actively look....things go out and find you instead.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Alfons
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromad
Hello all, used to be on Advrider but they've lost me so I am noobed again. Used to be Eurofreak...
Anyways I recently found this Rickman and am looking for part sources especially different size pistons and a headlight/tailight combo.
Rickmans were built in Britain using Zundapp and Montesa engines and then later did a lot of custom frames for Triumphs etc. beautiful nickel plated and sturdy compared to the Jap stuff.

This model is a '74 Six Days model-should have lights. The engine is an 18 hp 5 speed with a chrome bore. Current piston and rings are a little loose for the bore wear. Bosch Electronic ignition and a Bing 53 carb. Any leads would be appreciated. Still trying to post a picture-sorry
Hi Euromad,

greetings from Germany, where Zündapps were manufactured. I owned one as an 18-year-old lad and it was a blast to ride; I have still a few wrecks in my shed which are waiting for their resurrection (once retirement is there).

Since the factory in Miunich went bust in the 1980s and its machinery was disassembled and shipped to the People's repubilc in China, spare parts have become an increasing problem. The original piston was made by Mahle, arguably the best piston manufacturer in Europe. The parts made for Zundapp were quickly sold out, and I believe there are pistons on sale on ebay/Germany. Chrome-bore cylinders are equally rare; here it is the Dutch, among whom Zündapps were popular bikes, who might supply replacements.

greetings

Alfons
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #14
Euromad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Alfons- I followed the links in one of the above posts and two of three have some parts. I'm surprised parts aren't more common in Germany. Parts are available for the Bing here as well. The person I bought the bike from had several cylinders and pistons but he will not answer requests
Another option for the cylinder is to have it replated to the original dimensions with nikasil or similar plating-about $200 US. Do you have any spare headlights or tail lights? What other motors have you seen in Rickmans?

Motu- Small island huh? I suppose there aren't many Rickmans floating around New Zealand.
The handbook says police model but they could be for anything. Good approach to the motor search for the frame. A 500 Triumph will fit in that frame? That would be excellent! Any pictures of the old 500?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
motu
Loose Pre Unit

This was my Rickman,it was a 1964,and I got it in 1974 and used it as a street bike.The 125 frame might hold the small Triumph,but it would be tight.I'm sure I'll stumble across something.