Quote:
Originally Posted by pregrid View Post
yes indeed.
MacNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Glad you guys are likin' it. I knew I was deep into this whole "building old bikes" thing when I sold my painstakingly refurbished G3 for another POS to build

caponerd - I try and build bikes that others don't seem to want. The G3 I posted a pic of on the first page was built because hey, who's ever seen one of those rollin' around all cafe'd out? The guy I bought both the G3 and this F8 (as well as... um, 6 other bikes?) from is a great guy, and a collector of sorts. I saw this sitting outside his shop and saw some promise. These F8's were made for 2 years only, which makes finding parts a bitch, but the finished result should be a bike that most will have never seen on the road (at least not in the last 20 years), and certainly looking nothing like this one will.

Everybody's got XS's, CB's, CL's etc. (Well, actually I've got a torn down CB200 in the garage, and have lusted over a CL160 for years) but there's something to be said about being DIFFERENT, which is why we rape and pillage these old bikes in the first place, right?

Oh, and if no one noticed, take a close look at the front forks in the previous pictures... notice anything funny? Perhaps in the nether regions?
Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Oh, and if no one noticed, take a close look at the front forks in the previous pictures... notice anything funny? Perhaps in the nether regions?
That's very cool, you can change the position of the front axle, I have never seen a pair of forks with that feature!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #20
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yup, and because you can rotate the fork tubes, you actually have 3 positions available, for 3 different wheelbase options!
Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #21
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Yup, and because you can rotate the fork tubes, you actually have 3 positions available, for 3 different wheelbase options!
Neat!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoPolo View Post
That's very cool, you can change the position of the front axle, I have never seen a pair of forks with that feature!
I THINK those were the deaded Hata forks. Which Dirt bike magazine called the worst fork design in history, so many options for adjustment none of which worked.....
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #23
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

I never heard anything bad about them, but we'll see I guess!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 PM   #24
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got all of my parts back from the powdercoater, and I must say, they're lovely! The exhaust and chain guard were done in a gray very close to the tank and tail, and the rest (frame, swinger, wheels etc etc) was done in silver (NO black, remember?). Painted the exhaust guard in green, as well as the centers of the wheel hubs. I'm not sure if I like the green on the wheels, but I can always redo it I suppose.

Split the cases on the engine, and upon very close inspection, found cracks around the kick starter shaft... So I dropped it off at the local welder, we'll see what he can do. Luckily there are no real clearance problems, so he should be able to lay a nice thick bead and have it end up nice and tough. Forgot to take pictures with the shaft out, but there were numerous cracks on both sides...

The rest of the engine/tranny looks good though

Labeled bins sure help to keep things in order

Seeing as the wiring was somewhat hacked (key broke off in the ignition, and it looks like someone tried to splice in wires to make it run...) and I'm not using any of the stock switches, I've got some wiring fun ahead of me...
Old 10-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,309
Quote:
I never heard anything bad about them, but we'll see I guess!
They are fine on the street, but Dirt Bike magazine put it this way. The Hatta Forks had a million options for tuning and none of them worked.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #26
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Luckily this bike will never see dirt!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 PM   #27
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
. Painted the exhaust guard in green, as well as the centers of the wheel hubs. I'm not sure if I like the green on the wheels, but I can always redo it I suppose.
this is how i always do my hubs on a custom
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #28
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

I tried to polish the insides, but for some reason it was NOT happening... just didn't take. It came out splotchy, I just couldn't get it even... got any tips?

I got my spokes today too, and started assembling wheels, so if I don't find a "quick" way to polish the insides, they're going to be green, until I get sick of it and decide to do it over
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #29
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
I tried to polish the insides, but for some reason it was NOT happening... just didn't take. It came out splotchy, I just couldn't get it even... got any tips?

I got my spokes today too, and started assembling wheels, so if I don't find a "quick" way to polish the insides, they're going to be green, until I get sick of it and decide to do it over
i drop mine at the polisher and for 40 bucks they come back polished. he uses a wheel with rouge, takes him about 20 minutes a hub, heres the whole wheel.

and not to threadjack, but in case you are wondering. yes it is a moped, im fucked up like that

i love building and riding mopeds, this one, when finished, did a solid 70mph on gps, 75cc, port reed, 21mm dellorto phbg, and a dutch expansion chamber. (yes i know about the fat girl and moped joke)
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #30
FoothillRyder
Tiger Cub

Oddometer: 406
That is one sick moped! WOW!
- FoothillRyder AMA# 289558, BIR #47, COP #001
'97 Trophy 900, '98 Tiger, '03 Speed Triple 955i

My Blog: http://foothillryder.com/
FoothillRyder is offline   Reply With Quote