Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #46
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
seeing it as a roller, the green in the center of the hubs looks pretty damn cool, didn't look as good as the hub alone, but i like the final outcome.

Good work

also, in regard to actual flat track tires...... they are super sticky. so form and function go hand in hand on that one
villageidiot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #47
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Can't remember where I got them, but it's called a "superbike" bend, and they were only about $20ish plus shipping if I remember correctly. A lot of places that sell clubmans should have some superbikes I suspect.
It looks like they have more pullback than what I'm used to seeing as 'superbike' bend which is why I liked them. After my comment I realized they look a lot like Duc Monster bars.

I'm finishing an Ascot twin street-tracker this winter. Won't be as pretty as yours and as much as I like V-twins a 2T would be cool. Have fun
dpforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #48
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
Quote:
Better/more pictures and descriptions tomorrow as it's dark now and I'm a few beers deep, but here is a teaser. She rolls!
been tomorrow for almost 12 hours now.
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #49
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpforth View Post
It looks like they have more pullback than what I'm used to seeing as 'superbike' bend which is why I liked them. After my comment I realized they look a lot like Duc Monster bars.

I'm finishing an Ascot twin street-tracker this winter. Won't be as pretty as yours and as much as I like V-twins a 2T would be cool. Have fun
I just so happen to love L twins myself... in fact, I have THIS sitting around collecting dust, waiting for some $$ to start my next big project (far right)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
been tomorrow for almost 12 hours now.
Getting the rest of my coffee down to counteract last night's beers, then getting down to work... and pictures
Old 12-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #50
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
TL, SV, or DL?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #51
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tlr
Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #52
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

The engine went back together, still waiting for some socket head bolts so I can torque the cases and what not. I also polished (poorly) the flywheel/stator cover and the sprocket cover. I'm trying to find one of the fancy double-fold-over-lock-washer things for the nut/gear that goes outside of the rotary valve cover. The top end is at the shop, as there were some inserts coming out of the cylinder, but the head/jug is freshly blasted and looking nice.

Stator needs cleaned and reinstalled (after said case bolts)

Made an oil pump block off plate

Finished polishing hubs, and installed the wheels with some new rubber (still need to put on some weights)

And the forks got powdercoated

Started making/hacking a fender and tomorrow I should be able to finish up the bracket. Whether or not I use it is another question

Tank needs repainted, after a few drops, some masking tape "staying behind" after paint, etc etc.... but for now (until spring when it's warm enough to paint again) I will just run it as is

90% done with running wires

Overall, she's coming along nicely methinks

Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #53
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Finished up my front fender bracket... it took a bit of fitting, the nuts (welded on the underside) sit about 1/4" off the tire...

This was the best way I found to make sure the mounting brackets were straight

Not sure whether I'll run it or not, but it only took a few hours, and now I've got options

The only wiring I have left is for the stator, finished up the tail light and dummy light wiring today

Old 12-19-2011, 08:43 PM   #54
dpforth
no inline fours

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
I just so happen to love L twins myself... in fact, I have THIS sitting around collecting dust, waiting for some $$ to start my next big project (far right)
That'll be fun, I think they're great motors. I had an SV1K with a dash of GSXR. Voted most likely to get me in trouble The cam gear whine makes them sound better than a Duc IMO.
dpforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #55
JagLite
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Question What happened?

I'm reading along with great interest and then...
Nothing.
What happened?
This is a cliff hanger where we are waiting for the next episode!
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #56
nsu max
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Nice job.
nsu max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #57
Mr. Whipple
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I have a couple kickstart levers left over from my Big Horn restoration. One shows signs of use but the other is fresh from the chrome shop, (I had 2 of them chromed). I assume that the lever for your F8 is the same as the F5 so it should fit. Let me know if you need still need one (or both). If you pay for shipping and a 12 pack of Sam Adam's Lager, figure $25 total, then they are all yours. You do great work by the way!

Since these crappy pics were taken I swapped out the headlight for the correct chrome unit (anyone need this one let me know) and I had the seat reupolstered with the correct 1970 pattern cover. The tail light is still incorrect (its from a 1972 and not a 1970 and that is pissing me off but I have yet to find the correct one. Come on ebay...).
Mr. Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #58
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,577
Great build. I know I am ready for more.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #59
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

So progress has been slow on this old girl lately. Between a lack of $$, and the need to finish other projects, she's been sitting idle in the corner of the garage.

Whipple, gorgeous Kawi, and I would looooooove to get ahold of one of those kickstart levers! A pm is on it's way

I should be tidying up my girlfriend's birthday present soon, and I just finished a few little things on the car, so hopefully within the next week or so there will be some updates. Once I find a new piston and rings, and finish polishing the clutch cover, the engine will be more or less "done"... THAT will be a milestone.

Keep watching
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #60
MiteyF OP
Beastly Adventurer

Small update, new piston/rings arrived, so yesterday after work I put my top end together. Getting cloooosseeeerrr

(sorry about the dark pictures)