Build quality and "fit and finish"?

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
Performance: Slow.
Suspension: Crappy.

In this market segment, you're not very concerned with performance or suspension.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #3
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
The TW200 has really goofy fat tires for wanna-be atv riders (also extremely basic chassis and not much power)

The DR200 is well made, but very old-tech and basic. A good around-town run-about. I wouldn't try to ride one at speed off road.

Never heard of the honda - they don't sell it in the states. From the pictures of it I found on-line it looks a bit more off road worthy than the DR.

Another good aircooled bike of this size is the XT/TTR225. It has a 6speed gearbox which is a big help when you have a small motor.

WR250R instead of the above maybe?

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #4
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,225
I suppose they are all light, and on the low side, besides being under powered and having poor suspension for motocross type racing.

I am looking to get a used tw200 as the tires will work well in the sand I have around here.
Nothing but thick soft sand and mud pits.
Younger guys will just want more power, and more suspension, so they can blast through the sandy whoops, but that can be a bad combo for older more brittle riders, so I figure I can have fun going slower through just about anything on the TW200.
Up any sandy hill, through any thick sandy mile long stretch of whoops, through mud holes, all with a low seat height and light weight (somewhat), fun without falling and breaking half the bones in your body like you can on big tall heavy fast bikes. Its the really fat tires. If you have to have a tag on the bike, and want to get through just about anything, the TW200 is up at the top of my list.

For places where you do not have a lot of sand, there are other better choices. Much faster choices.
Any and all 200cc bikes have little use on the roads, local riding, up to about 60 mph is ok, and while people do make really long road trips on little bikes, they do not do it at 70 mph.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #5
EastKY_DO
Doc

Oddometer: 78
Hey Brett,

If you don't need a tag on the bike and want to go slow on just about any terrain imaginable look at a Rokon Trail-Breaker. They are the oddest bike in the world. I bought a used one about 3 years ago and I have a blast riding around on old abandoned mine sites here in eastern KY. It wouldn't do for riding on the street though. Not taggable and top speed of about 40 mph.

I second your choice for something that has to be street legal as I'm not far behind you in age and feel the effects more than I used to.

Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
. . . so I figure I can have fun going slower through just about anything on the TW200.
Up any sandy hill, through any thick sandy mile long stretch of whoops, through mud holes, all with a low seat height and light weight (somewhat), fun without falling and breaking half the bones in your body like you can on big tall heavy fast bikes. Its the really fat tires. If you have to have a tag on the bike, and want to get through just about anything, the TW200 is up at the top of my list.
EastKY_DO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
NJ-Brett
Brett

Its not feeling the effects of riding, its the not wanting to get airlifted out of the woods again to spend weeks in the hospital. That cuts into riding time!
Plus, if you get busted up enough to where NONE of your limbs work, how you going to ride at all?
I got one leg left that works right, and want to keep it that way!

In the pinelands, you can go anywhere and do anything, as long as your ride has a tag on it.

Some light little fast bike wont do as they have narrow front tires which love to high side you in the sand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastKY_DO View Post
Hey Brett,

If you don't need a tag on the bike and want to go slow on just about any terrain imaginable look at a Rokon Trail-Breaker. They are the oddest bike in the world. I bought a used one about 3 years ago and I have a blast riding around on old abandoned mine sites here in eastern KY. It wouldn't do for riding on the street though. Not taggable and top speed of about 40 mph.

I second your choice for something that has to be street legal as I'm not far behind you in age and feel the effects more than I used to.

Doc
Old 10-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
mykdee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
TW200 all the way! I went from a DR350S that was well built up to a 2005 TW200 and cant be happier, the fat tires are what make this bike so enjoyable!!!

Name:  IMG_5596.JPG
Views: 16893
Size:  61.0 KB
mykdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The TW200 has really goofy fat tires for wanna-be atv riders (also extremely basic chassis and not much power)

The DR200 is well made, but very old-tech and basic. A good around-town run-about. I wouldn't try to ride one at speed off road.

Never heard of the honda - they don't sell it in the states. From the pictures of it I found on-line it looks a bit more off road worthy than the DR.

Another good aircooled bike of this size is the XT/TTR225. It has a 6speed gearbox which is a big help when you have a small motor.

WR250R instead of the above maybe?
Wanna-be atv riders......TW has plenty in the torque department......climbs around all of the other stuck/wrecked power jockey's.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

Wow, old thread!
I did get a TW200 and loved it, but they are different.
Great at going through anything, easy to ride in tough places (I went through swamps), but not like a normal motorcycle.
The front wheel stays on the ground, and you do not power slide the rear, or slide it at all.
The little 200cc motor is quite amazing, you can lug it through all sorts of stuff or scream it, it worked well at all rpm's.

I went places I would never think of taking other bikes, and it was easy.
Another bike might have been able to make it, but it would not have been easy or much fun.
A good bike for the sand/swamps/mud around here.
Not a good high speed bike.