Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #136
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,446
Pete, how does it do at Walker with the SM rims and wheels?
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #137
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
Have you calculated your underdrive in supermoto trim? Do you spin the rear tire on the cart track? bike looks good

Thanks, I am running 14/48 to the rear and 10/15 to the front with dirt tires. With the SM I am running 15/47 and 11/15, so I think the ratio is about the same (80%?), taking into acount the shorter front tire. I haven't got a chance to ride it in anger with the SM set up yet. Our local kart track lost their permit to run bikes!?! I hope to play in the dirt with it this weekend, but probably not at Walker.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #138
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,016
compare Christini to steering damper in sand?

I am interested in riding the Christini mostly in sand. Those who have, could you compare the Christini to a 450 with a steering damper in sand?

I assume the Christini doesn't need or take a steering damper.

Any issues with maintaining the Christini in sandy conditions?

Gawd, the Christini looks sweet
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #139
sanglant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Wow, that must have taken some time!?!
Yeah, that killed most of an afternoon I had planned on going other stuff. Oh well.

Right now it's in pieces, as in, it's a frame and triple clamps, sitting next to a CRF450X that is also a frame and triples. I'm mixing the two together, sprinkling in some tasty bits, and hoping for a kick ass trail bike!

I went with a 37mm FCR off a crf250R model, with a full FMF megabomb system on the otherwise stock Christini, and it was pretty good. Nice power, good roll on, and decent rev range. I think the 37 was a little small (but I had it on the shelf), and I know it will be with the Honda engine.

I'm doing the mash up because while I loved the Christini 2wd, the asiawing bike is, bluntly, shit. The brakes suck. The airbox cover is a bolted door, the boot to the carb looks like it was stepped on in assembly, etc etc. I realize they built it for a low price, and I wasn't expecting a Mercedes for a Kia payment, so I won't blast the company for ripping people off.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:40 PM   #140
sanglant
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
I am interested in riding the Christini mostly in sand. Those who have, could you compare the Christini to a 450 with a steering damper in sand?

I assume the Christini doesn't need or take a steering damper.

Any issues with maintaining the Christini in sandy conditions?

Gawd, the Christini looks sweet
The Christini kills in any kind of adverse terrain. In sand, it is "point and go" as opposed to trying to slide the rear around and hope you don't plow in and low side. If you want to go right, lean and turn the bars, and you go right. The bike pulls you through.

The bike doesn't really need a steering damper. Personally, I like steering dampers, and want to fit one on mine, but the more I ride it, the less I feel it needs it. I'm still eyeing putting one on, but it's become less and less of a priority.

Beyond there being more to maintain in sandy conditions, it's not hard to do. The system is well sealed, save for the chain and the shaft. All the front end components are basically "grease and forget" designs. I would look at them more frequently in the sand because I'm picky and like to tinker, but I doubt you'll have an issue there.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #141
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

I rode mine in some rough trails this past weekend and one of the front driveshafts came apart. I noticed it pulling to one side and eventually shifted out of 2WD, which made it better, before I noticed the shaft had separated. I need to read the manual and figure out how it goes back together.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 09-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #142
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
I rode mine in some rough trails this past weekend and one of the front driveshafts came apart. I noticed it pulling to one side and eventually shifted out of 2WD, which made it better, before I noticed the shaft had separated. I need to read the manual and figure out how it goes back together.

I'd sure like to hear how this comes out Pete. I've never had a problem with the sliders.
Quote:
Old 09-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #143
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 723
http://www.christini.com/wp-content/...iewFeb2012.pdf

I don't think the front brake caliper is going to do much good there.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #144
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:

The bottom splined-shaft is held onto the drive gear by a set screw, is that the end that pulled out? I'm having torque steer problems on mine so I have taken the driveshaft assemblies off, learning the mechanism as I go.

Is anybody here an expert on the christini mechanism yet? I wonder how important the clutch tension is. If the bars are turned hard to one side and the front wheel is driving, I think the design makes it hard to turn the bars back to center. Is the clutch supposed to slip in this situation to lighten the steering effort?
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #145
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

There is a spiral snap ring (?) the fits into a groove on the upper drive shaft. The linear bearing holder slides over flats on the upper shaft and is held on by a screw on cap that rides against this ring. This ring came off my upper shaft and allowed the bellows and bearing holder to fall down off the shaft. Below is a pic from the manual, which you can download at christini.com, that shows the bearing holder slid down with the cap removed and the ring in place just below it. On mine the whole thing just slid down when the ring came off.

I think that the fork tube may be too far down, which may load the ring at full downward travel? I will check this and hopefully it will stay together from now on. It was pretty easy to put back together and the groove seemed OK. Here are the parts in the bearing holder.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 09-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #146
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:

I think that the fork tube may be too far down, which may load the ring at full downward travel?

Changing the fork tube height only affects how much of the splined drive shaft sticks into the upper drive tube. The only things pulling down on that assembly is the rubber bellows and gravity.

I also found that you can remove the drive shafts without removing the forks

Do you have a contact within the company you recommend? The guy I have been working with for parts seems mostly knowledgeable but eager to help.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #147
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, that makes sense. I have just been dealing with my local dealer.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #148
sanglant
Adventurer

Do you guys know where to find spings, valves, shims, seals, etc. for the Paoli forks? I can't simply swap in the CRF forks, as they're 1mm too small, both in the slider and in the triple clamps, so it would be an expensive proposition to make the change.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #149
HalfFastMoto
bRad

Oddometer: 1,160
Tank update

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastMoto View Post
Tanks are plastic and in theory they should be weldable - I'm marginally functional welding metal and have had no luck welding plastic -

My understanding in welding plastic you have to have the same composition plastic filler rod as the plastic being welding. I would love to have the ACERBIS 4.75gal tank (clear, not red)

I purchased the above tank in white and then took it down to Tacoma to a custom plastic welding shop. They verified that they could weld the tank and ran a bead on the underside to test.

Took the tank back home to do the prep work which includes:
1. Cut fuel outlet mount out of tank.
2. Position fuel outlet mount in new location and drill required holes (3)
3. Reshape underside of tank using heat gun and Ovglove

Once these tasks are completed I'll return the tank to the welder were they will weld a patch over the hole created by the removal of the fuel outlet mount and weld the fuel outlet mount to it's new location.

I'll update the thread with pic's of the modified tank and the final fuel capacity. (I'm guessing 4.5 gal)

Cheers!
12 Christini 450 Rally Lite
13 Christini 300 E
HalfFastMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #150
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330