Congrats on the new bike, Larry!

My tensioner is on the frame, not the chain cover and looks like this:

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #242
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I'm not really sure on the tensioner. Haven't gotten into it yet. But I rode the hell out of it yesterday. Took a bit of riding adjusting. But that was simple. Being all choked up in that exhaust and carb the power really lacked. At 70 mph? Not sure. The fastest I think I got it was about 40. Did all tight trails and some sand roads. Don't really think it's a good road bike. But in the trails it felt great. The suspension felt really good for me. Hitting big whooped out sections was a breeze. Was able to turn harder and way faster. Just have faith on that front wheel to pull ya. Did some crazy off camber hill riding. Could never do that with one wheel. Actually quite impressed. Didnt relize til half way through the ride that there is no engine fan. It never overheated in the tight stuff. But I think I'm def going to install one. My biggest issue is the state of new jersey. They wouldnt register it. Now I have to jump through all the loops of bullshit to get it legal. If I knew that was going to happen I would have gotten the 300 2 stroker. And if you get one. Take your time with it and read the manual. Go over everything. Oil, bolts etc. The gear box was overfilled and the rear axle adjusting nut loosened up. And if you tight stuff. Protect the controls on the bars. I broke out the brake light switch and the headlight flash button. And modify that license plate bracket. That didn't last to long. I would recomend it but take your time and don't force anything. I get more down later. Just really pressed for time
njsurferlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #243
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Congrats on the new bike, Larry!

My tensioner is on the frame, not the chain cover and looks like this:

I'm hoping this weekend I could go thru it more. And I got some mods I have to do. But I will check it when I can. Hopefully this weekend.
njsurferlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #244
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Thank you for posting up pic's of the tensioner Pete. My bike is a 2008 KTM 300 xcw Christini so my parts are a little bit different. I hope you guy's don't mind me butting into the DS thread. I'm totally loving my Christini but it has taken abit to get use to the system.

I am having some trouble getting the clutch tight enough to pull hard and I have some noise coming from the drive chain bouncing off the cover. Look's like they have improved the tensioner system. Do you guy's get any noise coming from the drive chain?
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #245
nick2ny
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsurferlarry View Post
that would be cool to get some pictures of the facility.
Ask and ye shall receive!

Link: PHOTOS of Christini's shop

Gobs of really nice, innovative stuff there. What an engineer Christini is. Really great bunch of other guys there too.

Video:

nick2ny screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 02:48 PM
nick2ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #246
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
No problem, that pic is from the online manual available on their site.

I haven't noticed any noise coming from the chain, but I always wear ear plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Thank you for posting up pic's of the tensioner Pete. My bike is a 2008 KTM 300 xcw Christini so my parts are a little bit different. I hope you guy's don't mind me butting into the DS thread. I'm totally loving my Christini but it has taken abit to get use to the system.

I am having some trouble getting the clutch tight enough to pull hard and I have some noise coming from the drive chain bouncing off the cover. Look's like they have improved the tensioner system. Do you guy's get any noise coming from the drive chain?

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #247
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
So, for the Chinese Christini design, how is it holding up long term?

I've been talking with Ash the past few days and am placing my order for a 450E this afternoon. He's in California this week but can accomdate me anyway.

The 450E is much closer to the Honda 450X than the base model or DS in that it uses the FCR carb and an intake boot that matches Honda's plus it has a freer flowing exhaust and muffler with no cat. Still comes with the meager 35 headlight. I'll be getting a stator rewind so I can power an 80//80 light for night riding. Did this on my 450X as well. In conjunction with Cyclops helmet lights, night riding was a joy.

So, coming off a 450X, I'll be right at home with this and will do the same mods I did prior. I'll likely be changing the gearing on the front drive setup so it kicks in more quickly. Lots of sand and slick red clay where I am. So as a lazy "C" rider who rides a gear high mostly on the 450X, I should be able to thump along smelling the roses as I go.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #248
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have some noise coming from the drive chain bouncing off the cover.
Just turn up the raido. Works for car drivers
Old 03-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #249
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Woohoo!!! Ordered. Radiator fan kit with switch and a higher ratio front drive (.74:1). They'll provide a higher ratio set of gears too in case I want more. Should see it in a couple weeks.

Time to start tallying up a list for protective bits now.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #250
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Woohoo!!! Ordered. Radiator fan kit with switch and a higher ratio front drive (.74:1). They'll provide a higher ratio set of gears too in case I want more. Should see it in a couple weeks.

Time to start tallying up a list for protective bits now.
Cool, Do you know how many different ratio sprockets they make?
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #251
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Cool, Do you know how many different ratio sprockets they make?
No, I don't know anything definite. But my impression is that they have at least 3 combos. Stock, the lightly higher ratio I ordered and 1 more higher than that which Ash says will be included for me just in case I want more front drive more frequently. I also don't know if these sprockets are a standard spline design so that you could order different combos from any manufacturer.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #252
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

For protective bits, I'm looking at these: (I've used these before except the plastic skid plate)

Skid plate: Hyde Racing (been wanting to try a plastic one for a while)

Radiator braces: Unabiker (newer design than my current ones. They've save my rads from being ripped off the frame at least 4 times each ride! Yes, i suck.)

Handguards: Cycra Pro-Bends

Clutch cover: Procircuit billet

Also, will be adding a CRFs Only fuel screw (FCR carb), tugger straps and Pivot pegs. Oh and Guts Racing stepped seat foam and cover.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #253
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

So, what bits have others added and fit well?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #254
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
I also don't know if these sprockets are a standard spline design so that you could order different combos from any manufacturer.
The counter shaft sprocket is actually two sprockets, one drives the rear wheel and one drives the front chain, but they are one piece. So you have to order them as a combination of sizes. The stock one is 9T/13T, with the 13 driving the rear and the 9 driving a 16T at the gearbox above. The gearbox sprocket is unique also, as it fits on a splined hub that gives the 1WD/2WD shift.

I currently have the stock 9/13, a 10/13, and an 11/14 that I use for my Supermoto set up. I am running the 10/13 with the optional 15T gearbox sprocket for dirt, which I think is the 74% ratio mentioned. With this set up the front chain fits like stock. When I go to the 11/14, I remove the little spring from the tensioner, as it gets pretty tight.

I am running an Acerbis plastic skid plate for a CRF450X and it is very nice. I am also running a CRF250R shock, as the stock shock is too stiff and has little adjustment. I am running some Works Connection style rad braces for a 450X, but they are actually made in the UK, got them off Ebay (cheaper). I am also running a Flatland Racing CRF450R shark fin/ rear caliper bracket.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #255
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The counter shaft sprocket is actually two sprockets, one drives the rear wheel and one drives the front chain, but they are one piece.
A 1 piece double sprocket? Perhaps they avoided having to make a proprietary longer countershaft than a 450X. That could be good for us should we ever decide to throw in a real Honda engine when the Chinese one craters.

Quote:
I am running the 10/13 with the optional 15T gearbox sprocket for dirt, which I think is the 74% ratio mentioned. With this set up the front chain fits like stock.
So you feel with the 9/13 the front doesn't pull often enough and fast enough for your needs?

Quote:
I am running an Acerbis plastic skid plate for a CRF450X and it is very nice. I am also running a CRF250R shock, as the stock shock is too stiff and has little adjustment. I am running some Works Connection style rad braces for a 450X, but they are actually made in the UK, got them off Ebay (cheaper). I am also running a Flatland Racing CRF450R shark fin/ rear caliper bracket.
I considered the Acerbis but heard the new TM Designworks was more durable for sliding across boulders and logs. I've heard no reviews of the Hyde but I really like how it wraps around the case to protect the water pump and oil filter cover. So, I'll play guinea pig on this piece.

I had the WC braces before the Unabikers but felt they were too flimsy to protect against the rads being folded back. Is the version you have thicker than the real WCs? Truthfully, I would rather just have a very sturdy rear brace only and use the stock front plastic fins for better flow. The aluminum front bits do not flow as well, which is why I added the fan kit to my order. Texas is too effin' hot, even with Engine Ice. Everyone says I just need to ride faster...problem solved.