Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #316
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
+1 On the Vapor. Gotten 4 good years out of the one on the 450X with no glitches. It was in their billet protector the whole time. I have a new Vapor (stealth this time) for the Christini. Makes sense as you can't set the odo back to zero.

Was instrumental in getting the 450X tuned properly with the built in temp guage. After some engine ice and then rejetting, the bike not only ran better, but cooler between 10-20 mph and kept from getting over the 250 deg mark if I was really fragging along through the muck in 110 deg TX heat.

Running hot shouldn't be an issue this time as the comp ratio is a point lower and I also had them put a fan and switch on it.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #317
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Thumbs up for the Vapor gauge, have had one on my XRR for many years. Never have had any problems.

How well do your guy's Christini's coast when the front is engaged? Mine doesn't seem to coast very well. I'm guessing it's normal drag.

I had asked afew pages back about potential high wear parts, I have found that the front wheel drop out bearings/seals/drive plates seem to be vulnerable. I had to replace every thing in the fork lowers(caused by water/mud and lack of maint.). On a good note, the drop out rebuild set from Christini is reasonably priced.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:33 AM   #318
mudluva
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
New Owner feedback.....

Just got my Christini DS450 and can give feedback or answer any questions. I was looking for a unique, mid size dual sport. For years looking at the Rokon, but without being street legal and being such a low seat height, I just couldn't do it. I found the Rokon Trailbreaker to be unique, but slow, very low seat height, and only for limited off road use. I also needed a vehicle under 300lbs as I want to haul on a hitch carrier. This eliminated the larger 650cc bikes.
The idea of AWD on a car, truck, or motorcycle is absolutely effective. Go drive your 2wd car in the snow, shift into 4wd and you'll get it. Same affect on a motorcycle.

First impressions.
The motorcycle comes delivered in a crate with a few hours of work for the average person to assemble. My bike was missing, due to shipping, a few minor things and at 5pm on Friday, I called Christini and without a hiccup, had the parts Saturday morning! I could not believe how quick.
The overall look of this bike is great, and other than a few minor bubbles in graphics, very nice.
I suggest becoming familiar with the Honda 450x maintenance items such as oil, trans, etc.... As they are virtually the same. Break in fluids came in and were changed after break-in as they suggested. I had taken the liberty of getting from local Honda dealer, the oil, filter, trans fluid, gaskets. When I told them what I was getting, they begged me to bring it down and let them see it! "Isn't that the 2 wheel drive bike!"......
I also had Christini install prior to delivery, their heavy duty skid plate, brush/hand guards, rear rack, and a Rekluse clutch. I strongly suggest the Rekluse clutch and these options. They are very high quality. I'm asking myself now why I didn't use the Rekluse clutch prior? Awesome.

Took the bike up a few loose gravel type hills in one wheel drive... rear tire spinning and kicking up dirt. Same hill in AWD and I could crawl up with very minor spin in rear until front began pulling. No question the system works!

I am still being careful during break-in and can report back later if interested.

mudluva
Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #319
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Hey thanks Mudluva for the updates. Whats your opinion of the seat height, and whats your inseam? They claim 37"...
Also, i am like you, wanting to use the bike for DS... and I wonder how the Christini will hold up when "baptized"...?
In other words, are viatl electrical connections suitable for a moderate stram crossing; a hard puddle splash; etc.
I have a 2010 F800GS, and as you can imagine, BMW like KTM, knows how to engineer electrical connections and systems on their DS bikes. So I hope the Christini is also "electrically capable"...

Awesome! So glad to see more feedback. That Rekluse is the way to go.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #320
mudluva
Adventurer

awd

In putting together the bulk of connections behind headlight assembly, I would say they are out of the way and other than rear taillight connection (which you could tape), everything else seems good. I also wired a quick connect to trickle charger. My inseam is 36" and bike would be ideal in my mind if 33+ inseam with stock seat.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #321
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
How well do your guy's Christini's coast when the front is engaged? Mine doesn't seem to coast very well. I'm guessing it's normal drag.
I don't notice any difference in coasting with 2WD engaged or not. It shouldn't, as the front wheel would simply be spinning on the one way clutch bearings in the hub? It definitely will NOT roll backward with the 2WD engaged. This can be a little annoying if you hit a dead end.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #322
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
What's the long term report from some of the guys who have had them for a while. I just found these bikes yesterday and I've read a lot of good about them seems everyone who puts them down really knows nothing about them and are just jumping on the china=junk band wagon. I have 0 problem with the motor from china. If you look around and read the made in tag on some of your everyday items guess what made in china. Besides if the kit was sold on a KTM of BMW Honda or any jap bike no one could afford them. And probably not be USA street legal
gomerkfx700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #323
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I don't notice any difference in coasting with 2WD engaged or not. It shouldn't, as the front wheel would simply be spinning on the one way clutch bearings in the hub? It definitely will NOT roll backward with the 2WD engaged. This can be a little annoying if you hit a dead end.
Thank's for the feedback. I didn't try disengaging the AWD system while at the D100, I will try disengaging it next time out. It probably isn't from the AWD. My rear Mousse bib feels terrible. That may be the cause of the poor coasting, feels like I'm riding on a flat tire.

Capt. Egregious screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 07:31 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #324
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
trail tech vapor install. how did the speedo pickup mount? no matter how i try to figure it out it always seems to be to close to the rotor bolts. not quite the perfect fit from trail tech.
njsurferlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:39 AM   #325
mudluva
Adventurer

water/front end

When you mention having to replace drop-out, what actually did you do or not do and how did you notice an issue?

Seems that they suggest grease on upper small nipples for shafts. Also chain which is normal.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 AM   #326
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudluva View Post
When you mention having to replace drop-out, what actually did you do or not do and how did you notice an issue?

Seems that they suggest grease on upper small nipples for shafts. Also chain which is normal.
Riding the bike I did not notice anything different on the front end. It's when I disassembled the bike when I found the worn parts. It looks like the PO didn't set the axle preload correctly, the drive plates on one side had been slipping(drop out drive plate to wheel drive plate). On the same side debris got under the drop out drive plate and housing, there are 2 o-rings there that had been destroyed. Both side were water damaged(all the bearing damaged). Christini suggested servicing after any ride that included water crossing. I will being doing so now. Steve also wanted to know what the guys name was who was not taking care of his bike.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #327
Lutz
Killer Rabbit

Oddometer: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
... Steve also wanted to know what the guys name was who was not taking care of his bike.
I can understand why. Especially when you're in the shoes of Christini - with low sales volume and battling the "Made in China" quality stereotypes - there's nothing like owner/user neglect to contribute to perceived concerns about the bike's reliability.
Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #328
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsurferlarry View Post
trail tech vapor install. how did the speedo pickup mount? no matter how i try to figure it out it always seems to be to close to the rotor bolts. not quite the perfect fit from trail tech.
I just hogged out the hole in the Vapor pick up until it fit the stud where the stock pick up went on. It works fine! I'm still tweeking the front wheel size to get the speedo accurate, but it reads the stock magnet just fine.

SVN/XRR/Christini

PeteN95 screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 01:19 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #329
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

I got the bike on a dyno this weekend, about what I expected with pipe and FCR40 carb, 38HP. The guy who owns the dyno was impressed, as it matched his YZF450?! I think the knobby on his bike killed off a few HP? The CRF450R cam should move the torque up in the rpm range and make more power. He also said there was a HP or 2 with a little richer main jet to get closer to 12:1 A/F ratio. My XR650R made 51HP the same day, through the stock muffler!?

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #330
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
I got the bike on a dyno this weekend, about what I expected with pipe and FCR40 carb, 38HP. The guy who owns the dyno was impressed, as it matched his YZF450?! I think the knobby on his bike killed off a few HP? The CRF450R cam should move the torque up in the rpm range and make more power. He also said there was a HP or 2 with a little richer main jet to get closer to 12:1 A/F ratio. My XR650R made 51HP the same day, through the stock muffler!?

Sounds like your friend's YZF has some issues. He should be pulling about 48-50 RWHP... for fairly new models at least. Now, a WR450 should be about 38 RWHP.

I've not opened up the Christini top end but if the cam design is essentially the same as the 450X, then the '03 R cam works great. It doesn't actually move the HP further up because the mids and lows, by the dyno, do not really change. You just get more on top which makes you think the power shifted up. Now, I haven't looked at the Christini ignition module either so I don't know if a pink wire is available. The pink wire mod on a real 450X is essential for the R cam and pipe.

The XR650R, an already kick ass bike, would be even cooler with a Christini drive! Talk about DS heaven.