Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #361
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
Here is my choke because it is a pull knob on the side of the carb and it is completely hidden by the secondary chain cover. It is a string of safety wire around the choke knob and then tisted into a loop leading to the unused fuel line guide on the side of the frame. This allows me to pull the choke on and then push it off, although it usially releases by itself because the fuel line is pushing on it.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #362
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
got the fcr carb from christini. not an easy install at all. i had them set it up for me. since they have played with the carb tune on the enduro model i say just let them do it. it came with new throttle cable and choke cable. everything remote mounted. really didnt notice any more performance. but i didnt have it out in the woods yet. the only thing i dont like about the fcr is from idle to half or wide open it stalls. and it defintely isnt the same fcr carb. i match it up with one i have from a wr 450. i had christini put all the goodies in it so it would save me time on installed. one thing i was hoping was that with the carb all set up that the motor would run a little cooler. riding around the temp is perfect. stopped at a light for 2 minutes and its way up there again. im just not used to that. all my other bikes i have owned never did that. maybe im asking for too much on this bike. and the single cable that came with the fcr seems way to long. i had to relocate it so the throttle works. now it isnt a straight pull. wondering if he sent me the wrong cable. gotta go over that again. it started to get late
njsurferlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #363
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsurferlarry View Post
got the fcr carb from christini. not an easy install at all. i had them set it up for me. since they have played with the carb tune on the enduro model i say just let them do it. it came with new throttle cable and choke cable. everything remote mounted. really didnt notice any more performance. but i didnt have it out in the woods yet. the only thing i dont like about the fcr is from idle to half or wide open it stalls. and it defintely isnt the same fcr carb. i match it up with one i have from a wr 450. i had christini put all the goodies in it so it would save me time on installed. one thing i was hoping was that with the carb all set up that the motor would run a little cooler. riding around the temp is perfect. stopped at a light for 2 minutes and its way up there again. im just not used to that. all my other bikes i have owned never did that. maybe im asking for too much on this bike. and the single cable that came with the fcr seems way to long. i had to relocate it so the throttle works. now it isnt a straight pull. wondering if he sent me the wrong cable. gotta go over that again. it started to get late
My cable is a little long as well but it works. About the FCR...they're not all the same. I haven't seen the one on the Yamaha but even the Christini FCR is different than the Honda one which is also different than on KTMs. When I went looking for a main jet some years back, I discovered differences there too.

Anyway, my carb is unbolted so I can put my bits in. I'll be using the same jetting as the 450X which is a 50 leak, 45 and 165 and the NCVS needle in 3rd position. This worked perfectly at the 225-600 ft elevation at 100-115 degrees where I mostly go up to 2000 ft in any weather.

If your bike stalling like you say, then re-check cable routing. Perhaps something is going on with your choke. Otherwise, try my jetting. NJ weather and altitude isn't much different than Texas other than peak temps.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:28 AM   #364
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

got an email out to christini to see what the carb was setup with. and thanks for that carb info. nj and texas are somewhat the same. i think we get more humid though. you guys get hotter and we get more humid. pretty much all of my riding is at about sea level. very rarely will i see elevations about 2000feet. i liked texas. was just down there in the san antonio area. wish i had time to go rent a bike and do some riding. saw tons of places that have riding there. next time i go there to see the girlfriends family i def going to go ride out there. and thanks for your carb settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
My cable is a little long as well but it works. About the FCR...they're not all the same. I haven't seen the one on the Yamaha but even the Christini FCR is different than the Honda one which is also different than on KTMs. When I went looking for a main jet some years back, I discovered differences there too.

Anyway, my carb is unbolted so I can put my bits in. I'll be using the same jetting as the 450X which is a 50 leak, 45 and 165 and the NCVS needle in 3rd position. This worked perfectly at the 225-600 ft elevation at 100-115 degrees where I mostly go up to 2000 ft in any weather.

If your bike stalling like you say, then re-check cable routing. Perhaps something is going on with your choke. Otherwise, try my jetting. NJ weather and altitude isn't much different than Texas other than peak temps.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #365
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Mine seems to stall easy with a sudden grab of throttle from idle, do you think a larger leak jet would help? Thank goodness I never need to worry about those weather conditions!?!

And no comment on my bar pic?

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #366
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Mine seems to stall easy with a sudden grab of throttle from idle, do you think a larger leak jet would help? Thank goodness I never need to worry about those weather conditions!?!

And no comment on my bar pic?
The leak jet should likely be between 40-50. Going too big will allow too much fuel to bypass back to the bowl. Chances are you have a problem with the accelerator pump circuit. Once the jetting is correctly set, you need to tune the AP circuit timing to cure the bog. It's a PITA with these aluminum box frames. Getting a Merge or R&D adjustable leak jet bowl will allow easier tuning rather removing the carb until it's right. There's a real good amount of tuning to be had. Well worth the money for the convenience alone but it will really wake up the bike and help it run properly. I had a R&D on the CRF and was always happy.

Now that I think about it...I should order one for this.

Can't see you pics at work. Blocked. Haven't been on the computer at home in well over a week.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #367
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, Bob, hope you've been out riding!

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #368
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Ok. Now I get to see it. So many things attached to that bar it will make the GS Adv riders jealous with gadget envy. I didn't think that you could actually put the AWD lever that far inside the bar. I see you also moved the bar clamp forward on the trees. That's a nice touch on these triples...being able to move the bars back and forth! Besides, you can't adjust the forks with the bars over the clickers as it was shipped.
Quote:
Key works fine as a kill switch and the upper drive shaft is too far down, it's below the key. I have tall bars, I 6'6", so everything is down. Here is a pic, the key is in the stock place behind the brake line above the right fork leg. The stock set up on mine had the choke on the left perch, but I switched it to an aftermarket hot start lever on the right perch when I removed the clutch lever and installed the other rear brake MC on the left bar. I still have the hot start on the right perch, but it's hidden by the mirror.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #369
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

theos bars get busy with all the goodies. how do you like the taller bars? and those hand guards look like they fit perfect. i got brand new msr guards but the mounts didnt fit so good. i actually put the cycra mounts with the msr and not so bad. what hand guards are they?

Quote:
Key works fine as a kill switch and the upper drive shaft is too far down, it's below the key. I have tall bars, I 6'6", so everything is down. Here is a pic, the key is in the stock place behind the brake line above the right fork leg. The stock set up on mine had the choke on the left perch, but I switched it to an aftermarket hot start lever on the right perch when I removed the clutch lever and installed the other rear brake MC on the left bar. I still have the hot start on the right perch, but it's hidden by the mirror.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #370
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

and those carb settings are exactly what i have. im thinking maybe since it is still cool outside that may have something to do with it. air temp and humidity play hell on carbs. in the summer i actually lean the carbs out just a little. when its 90 to 100 degress out and the humidity is 100 percent. it could be hell starting up a hot engine. like the air is way to dense to get good flow. just hard to breathe. i take lots of breaks in the summer cause of that. and in the winter i richen the mixture cause the air is mostly dry. and good flowing cool air. the only bike i never had a problem with is my klr 650. that motor seems to be just a no matter what happens motor, it will run.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #371
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

I have to have the tall bars and the clamps forward, I'm 6'6"!

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #372
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have to have the tall bars and the clamps forward, I'm 6'6"!
I like the bars forward too to help put more weight on the front wheel.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #373
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I like the bars forward too to help put more weight on the front wheel.
Agreed, my Honda XR650R and DRZ both have the bar back in your lap, but I had to buy aftermarket triples for those. The adjustable clamps on the Christini are nice!

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #374
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

had the christini out this weekend. this is one fun woods bike for sure. did some gnarly single track hillclimbs and the bike just eats them up. besides the nutserts coming loose and stuff like that. the fcr carb i got just doesnt seem right. went thru it a million times. that bog is horrible. the carb has no leak jet at all. thats plugged off. bike does run a little rich. got a 160 main and the needle is on the fourth spot from the top. but the ap pump doesnt seem to be working at all. no squirt at all. im a little stumped on that one. wich made some of the insane climbs i did this weekend not to fun. any ideas? and as soon as i can figure out how i got some video and still waiting on some more to be sent to me. the awd drive does have it downfalls in certain areas but where it picks up is awesome.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #375
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
How are the bikes holding up to the abuse compaired to name brand?
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote