Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #391
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2tx View Post
I was thinking about getting the sm. Any of ya'll have any regrets or problems with the bike. Let me know the good and the bad.
I can only comment on the AWD system, so far it has been easy to service and built very well and functions great. The only issue I have been working on is the front drive clutch needs to be adjust to often. I have new spring washer's waiting to go in. Hope this will give me more consistant pressure on the plates. Other then that the system holds up really well.

Capt. Egregious screwed with this post 06-18-2013 at 07:49 PM
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #392
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2tx View Post
I was thinking about getting the sm. Any of ya'll have any regrets or problems with the bike. Let me know the good and the bad.
The bike isn't perfect out of the crate. It requires some effort on your part to go over everything and make sure it's adjusted correctly. I have to re-bleed all my brakes again and figure out what to do about the clutch cable. The clutch is currently partially engaged because the cable is too long and I have completely run out of adjustment.

I've actually decided I'm not fond of the FCR carb on the Christini. It bogs and the idle hangs regularly but not consistently. It's a different FCR than what was on the Honda. Other than jetting and adding the NCVS needle like I did on the Honda, there is actually no leak jet so the Merge Racing ajustable flex-jet is completely useless. Idle is finicky, even when hot, it's inconsistent.

If the SM comes with the CV carb, you may want to stick with it. It won't have the snap of a good CV carb off idle but when under way, you likely won't notice enough to care.

Oh, how I wish everything was FI. I said I'd never buy another carb after the Honda but the Christini looked too good for the price...

So far, it's a fun bike and I've been putting the front wheel drive to good use in all the east Texas powdery sand.

When in 1 WD in sand, the front can act like a plow (unless you're a fast guy who keeps the front light). So the rear can dance around a bit and the front wants to bury itself and tuck. But in 2WD, breaking the rear loose, the rear still dances but less and the front helps stay on top of the sand and pulls you through straighter.

I just keep it on all the time now. When I need it to work for me, I drop down a gear so the rear will spin up so the front can kick in. It doesn't hurt anyting to leave it on because it isn't always working.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #393
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Had a b-day on Wednesday so I took off work for a little R&R. Check out the temp!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #394
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Had a b-day on Wednesday so I took off work for a little R&R. Check out the temp!!!
How accurate is that? Mine is off by at east 5F. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #395
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
How accurate is that? Mine is off by at east 5F. :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
No idea about accuracy. But yesterday registered 94 F in Anchorage, AK so 115 is almost believable.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #396
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Does anyone have any good video on 450 D's?
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #397
njsurferlarry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
not to happy with the 450ds. this 450 motor has been the biggest pain in the butt. the fcr carb on this is not a good idea. try to find a larger cv carb or something. i got the adjustable leak jet on it. gone through adjusting and changing and adjusting i cant take it anymore. now the starter has completely failed. now i wish i went with the husky or the stroke christini and went thru the trouble to get it legal. im doing more wrenching than riding. awd gearbox appears to be wiped out. gonna take it off and check. awd chain tensioner looks all worn out. i only have about 300miles on it. gonna reach out to christini. something aint right at all.
njsurferlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #398
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Is the certificate of org.stamped off road only on the 300?
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #399
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsurferlarry View Post
not to happy with the 450ds. this 450 motor has been the biggest pain in the butt. the fcr carb on this is not a good idea. try to find a larger cv carb or something. i got the adjustable leak jet on it. gone through adjusting and changing and adjusting i cant take it anymore. now the starter has completely failed. now i wish i went with the husky or the stroke christini and went thru the trouble to get it legal. im doing more wrenching than riding. awd gearbox appears to be wiped out. gonna take it off and check. awd chain tensioner looks all worn out. i only have about 300miles on it. gonna reach out to christini. something aint right at all.
Sorry to hear that. I really want their product to do well and the company to thrive. You should definitely contact Christini with the issues you are having. They have always been quick to respond with answers by email(not as easy to get on the phone). I have found the all the gear boxes to be very stout, I would bet the clutch needs to be adjusted up.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #400
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

njsurferlarry, I hate to admit, but there has been more work on my end than riding as well and I've been batting it around back and forth with Ash on a very regular basis.

At first, it was damage caused by the shipper which Ash promptly sent out replacement pieces and I did the work. And I had a few items that didn't work as they should....also replaced in timely fashion. He's been more than helpful since as well.

As for the FCR carb...I am not a fan of the one the Christini comes with. It appears to run fine for the most part because the power is right where I believe it should be. But on the trails, it runs 15-20 degrees hotter than my Honda 450X did with the exact same jetting, same ambient temps and terrain. I haven't figured out why as of yet and I've made sure of every other culprit from air leaks to burping the rads. All fluids are at the right level and I have engine ice in the rads. The only other thing I can think of is beyond our control and that has to do with the top end which is different than the Honda and could be thermodynamically related via smaller valves, inferior material or poor lubing/cooling.

Where did you get an adjustable leak jet? Did you get an aftermarket bowl? The Christini FCR has the leak jet machined in...non adjustable. If you added a R&D Flex Jet, you wasted your money since the hole in the bowl is what it is. My personal opinion is that the OEM Honda FCR is a better carb.

Also, the clutch is a BIG issue for me right now. At operating temp it drags a lot. So, if I wipe out or stall, I have to always search for neutral in order to start. If it's in gear, there is too much drag for the starter...even worse if I'm near TDC or BDC, the starter just dead ends. This a PITA when stuck in deep or on nasty hill. I have the cable adjusted as best as possible and the actuator arm is set correctly but it still drags when up to temp. Ash is working with me on this.

I haven't dug into it but I'm leaning towards the clutch pack needing longer springs or not enough ratio on the lever or actuator arm to fully disengage when pulled in. So, at the moment, my clutch isn't what it should be.

With Ash's help, I'm sure I'll get this sorted out. I'm doing what I can to make this work and hopefully Ash won't tire of me in the process. But, for sure, the non-AWD percentage of the bike has required more work on my part than the Honda X ever needed.

X1Glider screwed with this post 07-08-2013 at 02:23 PM
X1Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #401
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
Warped clutch plates from previous overheat?

Mine runs pretty well with the '03 CRF450R carb, but still a little sensitive right off idle. I removed some balls from my Rekluse and it helped, but I'm running no lever.

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #402
X1Glider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Warped clutch plates from previous overheat?
Not likely as it's been like this from day 1. My guess would be the stack height of the clutch pack is too high for the spring length or it needs longer springs. Without ripping it out and checking the stack height against the specs in the Honda manual, I can only guess.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #403
Bike Nomad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
As for the FCR carb...I am not a fan of the one the Christini comes with. It appears to run fine for the most part because the power is right where I believe it should be. But on the trails, it runs 15-20 degrees hotter than my Honda 450X did with the exact same jetting, same ambient temps and terrain. I haven't figured out why as of yet and I've made sure of every other culprit from air leaks to burping the rads. All fluids are at the right level and I have engine ice in the rads.
This maybe a stupid question as I'm not very mechanically inclined--and maybe you may already have addressed it but is it possible that the 15-20 degree difference stems from a different thermostat setting? Does anyone know what the stock thermostat setting is for the Christini vs the Honda?
Old 07-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #404
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Well here is a couple pics of the Scotts bolted to a GPR under bar mount. Should work fine til I can afford a billet mount that fits the Christini spec's.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM   #405
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,615
What are you using for a pin?

SVN/XRR/XC-W
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote