Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #2011
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSFW View Post

Sorry you tweaked your knee, but don't feel bad.

GS's all do that.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 08-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #2012
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopascat View Post
There it is, the one and only picture of me off the pavement in Colorado

Thanks Joel!
there's another one. not ophir but you look good here cathy

NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #2013
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
Sorry you tweaked your knee, but don't feel bad.

GS's all do that.
I loved it as we stood around staring at it, wondering how to get it back upright! But like a good GS, she started right back up again on the first try.

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Http://louisesbmwbike.blogspot.com
LuluOfDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #2014
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

the famous 640

more from saturday ride

gateway to ophir pass

not mine, but you'll get the picture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmlt0Dx5U5c

i think, the road is as challenging as lippencott (death valley) and 2x as long

lulu happy to make it

this rider likes to hike

wally and another rider are all smiles

can you spot the white ford pickup in the background'

same rider, he hiked up and forgot his bike below....hahaha

one gets to laugh at himself...hahaha

this was the easiest part on the way up

at the top of the pass

heading down and up towards 550

wohoooo.....the finishers

that was a nice ride, thanks to wally and crew.....
Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #2015
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,290
Quote:

... i think, the road is as challenging as lippencott (death valley) and 2x as long ...

It's funny how it's almost impossible to rate the difficulty of an off-road ride. I thought Ophir was a piece of cake and I've crash both times that I have attempted Lippencott.

Nice photos.

-dod
Old 08-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #2016
redninja
Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer: 424
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOD View Post
It's funny how it's almost impossible to rate the difficulty of an off-road ride. I thought Ophir was a piece of cake and I've crash both times that I have attempted Lippencott.

Nice photos.

-dod
+1 to that...we went DOWN that steep part of Ophir, and were a little nervous, but made it fine. Always wanted to try Lippencott, but TOO SCARED !! What's the easiest way to do it (Lippencott)......east to west, or west to east? I would much rather ride UP a steep section, than down it.....
Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #2017
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

i'm a sea level dweller

at 12k feet, just hiking @ 100 yards almost killed me.......

noticed that when i stand on the pegs, my leg muscles start to burn (biggest muscle in the body and consumes lots of O2), that makes it more difficult to breathe. this time, i sat on the bike 85%, normally at least 50% on the pegs. i know, if i master the proper balance i should not be working as hard.

agree, riding 3 days, the terrain wasn't really very tough, it just felt hard since i'm not acclimated. also, i tend to ride near the mountain side which is more rocky compared to the clean line next to the drop off.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #2018
SgtMarty
Retired, baby!

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbot View Post
Nice meeting you. Hope you heal quickly
Thanks.

(posse)

COHVCO #6391 AMA #2800236
SgtMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #2019
drklr
MotoTrvlr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by janliness View Post
Anyone do Engineer Pass Road from Hwy 550? I did that Sunday with the Jeep and don't remember it being so rough. Saw a 200cc (dr?) having a go at some of the rock obstacles and looked slow-going...

Other than that, I'm surprised I missed most of you. The only indication was a bunch of dual-sports in Telluride Saturday for lunch. Dirt bikes are all over the place up there

Great pics and video. Maybe I'll be taking the bike up there next year instead of the Jeep!

later,
jan
I did part of Engineer Pass on my DR350 on Sunday. I took Corkscrew Gulch to Poughkeepsie Gulch. Poughkeepsie was the hardest Pass I did all weekend. Extremely rocky. I was happy that I did it in the direction that I did since I don't know if I would have been able to do it in the other direction.

After Poughkeepsie I took Engineer Pass part way. I got up a bit and the DR started running poorly, as in not running. It would not take any gas. I turned around and Mountain Biked it down the pass and then went to Mineral Gulch.

I found a piece of shade and started to diagnose the problem. I was fortunate that a 4Runner was heading toward Ouray and offered his assistance. Found a piece of dirt/rust in the main jet. Put the bike back together and was on my way thanks to the help of My Good Samaritan RYAN!!!! I had met him earlier on Poughkeepsie. We were heading in opposite directions and he told me that I was going to have some fun up ahead. I knew then it was going to be rough and it was.

Some pics from a Fantastic Weekend!

Jack stretching for the ride down from Clear Lake.

On the trail coming down from Clear Lake. This was a pretty easy trail about 5 miles from the campground. The views were fantastic. Al is happy to be alive and in Colorado

Jack head over heels at the top of Imogene Pass.

The "Find the Bike in the Pic" pic

The "Black and White" pic

What a great time. We appreciate the hard work that goes into organizing one of these events. Thank you to all the volunteers.

See you next year!!

John
Old 08-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2020
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Jack stretching for the ride down from Clear Lake.

What a great time. We appreciate the hard work that goes into organizing one of these events. Thank you to all the volunteers.

See you next year!!

John[/QUOTE]

Love the pic of Jack stretching and Al being "happy to be alive in Colorado". It was great meeting you guys!! See you next year! Xoxox

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #2021
LuluOfDenver
The peanut gallery.

Quote:
at 12k feet, just hiking @ 100 yards almost killed me.......

noticed that when i stand on the pegs, my leg muscles start to burn (biggest muscle in the body and consumes lots of O2), that makes it more difficult to breathe. this time, i sat on the bike 85%, normally at least 50% on the pegs. i know, if i master the proper balance i should not be working as hard.

agree, riding 3 days, the terrain wasn't really very tough, it just felt hard since i'm not acclimated. also, i tend to ride near the mountain side which is more rocky compared to the clean line next to the drop off.
I typically live in San Diego for 3 or 4 months out of the year, and it always takes me a week or so to get acclimated once I get back here. It just means you'll have to come out earlier next time and play at altitude for a while beforehand!

Thanks for posting all the great pics Joel!! You took some awesome shots, and the color turned our beautifully. It was fun to ride with you--hope we get to to it again next year!

GIRL ON A MOTORBIKE
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #2022
WildTurkey
Beast Master

Oddometer: 1,365
Tater Harry's Warrior Growl

A local guide sharing a rare sight with us dirty bikers on our way up Imogene from Telluride. He was releasing a baby badger that had been injured and rehabilitated. Harry was on pins and needles in anticipation...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #2023
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
Thumb Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by janliness View Post
Anyone do Engineer Pass Road from Hwy 550? I did that Sunday with the Jeep and don't remember it being so rough. Saw a 200cc (dr?) having a go at some of the rock obstacles and looked slow-going...

Other than that, I'm surprised I missed most of you. The only indication was a bunch of dual-sports in Telluride Saturday for lunch. Dirt bikes are all over the place up there

Great pics and video. Maybe I'll be taking the bike up there next year instead of the Jeep!

later,
jan
Rough??

Yes the two Flatland Noobs. Jailor8 from Illinois on the KLR and 4STAR from Iowa on his V Strom followed me!!! On Wednesday we took off and decided to do the Alpine loop Cinnimon- Lake city - Engineer. Well we didnt ask anybody, Bought the map gear up and GO!!!

We started late, 9 - 10 ish, Buy the time we were half way back to Engineer from Lake city we could see it was gonna rain. Ok we learned about the Afternoon monsoons the hard way.

It started pouring while we were on the top of Engineer. Down we went. There was a couple of Aussies around for just a bit, Then they passed us and last I saw them they were drifting corners.

We get to the bottom of Engineer and dutifully following the map turn North on 878 toward 550. We didnt study the dotted lines close enough to see we could haved turned south and went thru Animas Forks and below Cinnimon and back to Silverton in about 20 minutes. No we are dumb we are following a loop. Ok I had the map and the lead I'm Dumb.

We start down along the Mineral and cross a granite huge baby head rock field thats part of the road, I'm worried about pinch flats, Allan I found out later is worried his Skid plate is coming thru his cases! We cant see, I'm on the pegs so much my legs are killing me and I cant watch Allan in the mirrors to see if he has trouble. I stop where I can and tell him I cant watch you this is all I can handle but I will stop and wait at the turns and come back if you dont show up, He's game and tough in my book.

By the time we get to the turn off to Pougkeepsie Gultch (876) I stop on the bald knob of the rock in the intersection, I cant see Allans headlight thru the trees. I shut the KLR off, I cant hear him and he's got nice pipes. All I can hear is the rain on my helmet and the river beside me. I wait .... nothing... I get off and decide to start walking back as it was not that far since I last saw him and I really dont want to ride back up. I got about 30 feet and I heard him. He had to stop and take his glasses off because of the rain on them was screwing up his perception and he was beating his Strom to bad on stuff he could have misssed. We are setting there trying to figure out how much farther it is to the highway with the map and a jeep comes up from the north. Guy sez I been thru here a lot and I have never seen it this rough. "how far to the highway?" 3 -4 miles. Ugh. Lets go!

Then we got to the steps, not so bad on the KLR but the Strom was getting a beating. Finally 550 and the construction zone. You should have seen the 4 Harley riders waiting at the light stare at us when I "YEE HAAAWED" our arrival at the paved road!!!

Rough ? Plenty for this noob!!! but it was fun, I was scared but felt Alive!!

Jailor8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #2024
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Owl Creek Pass

Group photo!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #2025
San Juan Servant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Joel,
Thanks for posting the great pictures. I sure enjoyed riding with you all. See ya' next year.
Wally