Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #1036
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by merickk View Post
Ya should of called

not that I'd of been able to go yesterday or nuthin though. Soon as my sprocket bolts get here though

Are you back on two legs? I'll be sure to call next time. I did see two 950s or 990s on the way over who gave me the slow down sign. Saved me some cash and points on that last switchback coming into Silverton on 550
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #1037
StromNTom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Looking to join a group planning on riding the Continental Divide, either S to N, or N to S.
I'm new to ADV, and not sure how to proceed. Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
StromNTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #1038
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Help a po’ boy out!

OK, here’s the request: my buddy and I are heading out to WestFest and RMAR from the Midwest. Dragging a tandem axle box trailer with a 2WD pickup, so we’re not gonna be doing a lot of unimproved off-road slogging or mudding. We will be riding DS bikes--WeeStrom and Dakar--so we have the ability to get into the back country at least a bit. I’ve toured and camped thru parts of CO previously, but it was 10+ years ago. Buddy has never been (to CO) to my knowledge. I’m looking for a list of not-to-miss places that we can either drive to/ride to/hike to/camp during our 3-4 days of free time before WestFest and our 3-4 days ‘tween’ time before RMAR. I know that’s not a lot of time to see everything with all that’s in the area, but we’re gonna try to make our time there fun.

Part 1
We’ll be rolling into the CO Springs area late on Sun 7/22 or mid-day Mon 7/23. Things I know that are standards are Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods. How about Hurricane Canyon, Cheyenne Mt SP, Mueller SP, Florissant Fossil Beds, Cripple Creek? Or Temple Canyon Park, Lake Pueblo SP, Canon City, Royal Gorge Park? Any truly outstanding roads that we MUST ride, either paved or gravel/dirt? Day ride to Mt Evans, weather depending? Great places to tent camp? (don’t wanna be next to a 50’ RV, but hot showers would be nice--hey, we’re old and wimpy)….

Part 2
Post WestFest, should we head west along 24 to Buena Vista, then south to 50, or take the county roads south from Lake George to 50? We’ll go thru Salida, Gunnison, Montrose and Ouray on the way to RMAR. Places to stop/eat/visit? What looks like an absolute must is a few days in the Curecanti NRA and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP area. I’d welcome any and all tips on where to camp, what to see, trails to hike, local roads to ride. Looks like a great road loop from this location with lots of scenery would be 149 south to 160 west to 550 north to 50 east.

Part 3
Other side trips? Telluride? New Mexico? Google map says its nearly 7 hours from Silverton to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, but I’ve been there once and it’s prolly worth a try since we’re in the ‘local’ area. Sound off and let me know what I need to know!
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #1039
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,934
If you do a couple of day rides out of Ouray/Ridgeway (camping at Orvis Hot Spring) you can have a great day trip on those bikes doing Red Mountain, Ophir Pass, lunch in Telluride, Last Dollar Pass back to Orvis. Then another day you can explore up Yankee Boy towards Imogene Pass and a bunch of other cool roadlets out of the Ouray area that you won't probably hook into from staying in Silverton.

A great paved road up out of the Black canyon up towards Paonia, and some adventurous riding up from Gunnison, into Taylor Park, Black Sage Pass, Juanita Pass, great scenery , mellow DS riding could eat up another couple of days easily.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #1040
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
Yes on what Doug sez. You could go Gunny to HWY 92 to Paonia then over Kebler pass into Crusty Butt for lunch. Then head south to Jacks Cabin cut-off up to Taylor Park then over Cumberland Pass then Waunita Pass to Black Sage Pass to Sargents then tarmac back to Gunny. All day fun with half paved at least and the other easy dirt. That will kill some time.

You could move to Montrose and maybe go north to Grand Mesa and tool around then down Lands' End then over to the Uncompahgre Plateau and catch Divide Road back to say Olathe or Montrose. Lotsa good rides around there.

Stay in BV then you could do Cottonwood into Taylor, hit Cumberland, Waunita, Black Sage, Old Monarch Pass (or further south with Marshall Pass) then back to BV on a mixed bag of roads. It's all good.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:55 PM   #1041
adventure girl
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,347
So many roads, so little time

Why we live in CO!
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #1042
tpak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Help a po’ boy out!

Part 1
We’ll be rolling into the CO Springs area late on Sun 7/22 or mid-day Mon 7/23. Things I know that are standards are Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods. How about Hurricane Canyon, Cheyenne Mt SP, Mueller SP, Florissant Fossil Beds, Cripple Creek? Or Temple Canyon Park, Lake Pueblo SP, Canon City, Royal Gorge Park? Any truly outstanding roads that we MUST ride, either paved or gravel/dirt? Day ride to Mt Evans, weather depending? Great places to tent camp? (don’t wanna be next to a 50’ RV, but hot showers would be nice--hey, we’re old and wimpy)….

Part 2
Post WestFest, should we head west along 24 to Buena Vista, then south to 50, or take the county roads south from Lake George to 50? We’ll go thru Salida, Gunnison, Montrose and Ouray on the way to RMAR. Places to stop/eat/visit? What looks like an absolute must is a few days in the Curecanti NRA and the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP area. I’d welcome any and all tips on where to camp, what to see, trails to hike, local roads to ride. Looks like a great road loop from this location with lots of scenery would be 149 south to 160 west to 550 north to 50 east.
FWIW you should take 50 from Canon City to Salida on the bikes. fantastic road. So good IMHO it is worth an out and back. When in Canon City you must hit Skyline Drive - it's only 3 miles long but you will want to do it once or twice. It is one way - just West of Canon City off of 50 about 2 miles out of town and it loops you back into town. Trust me on that one and bring your camera. If you want dirt roads also look up Shelf Road and Phantom Canyon Rd.

Going North/South from COS to DEN take Hwy 105 out of Monument - instead of the I-25 slab. Stop in Palmer Lake at O'Malley's - its mostly a Harley-ish road house but they have a great indoor cook your own grill and a great deck if it is sunny.

And from Monument to Woodland Park is Mt. Herman Rd but avoid it on the weekends as the local gun enthusiasts (idiots not the responsible ones) have pretty much taken over and it is a full on nightmare - they don't bother to look at where the road switches back and are often shooting across the road and they don't give a darn either - weekdays its not bad.

The Butler Maps of Colorado are indispensable for scenic road/dirt roads. After that, the rest of the inmates need to chime in for trails.

If it has a FS road sign you can ride it as long as you are plated. Not sure about the sticker requirements after you leave the road if you have a plate - I think it was discussed earlier in the thread.
tpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #1043
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,934
Bajuju, the gist of the whole thing becomes clear when you get out here. If you look at a Rand and McNalley road map of Colorado, you see a few major roads criscrossing the western half of Colorado. What they don't show you is the underlying network of old dirt roads and jeep trails that cross literally a hundred passes, filing in between Highways 50, 550, 160, 40, I-70, I-25, 285, 24... you get the idea. Most of these roads will be great scenic adventure prospects for you on those bikes, leading you through near-ghost towns, old mining settlements and mountain valleys and passes wherever you park and camp.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #1044
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 11,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
Are you back on two legs? I'll be sure to call next time. I did see two 950s or 990s on the way over who gave me the slow down sign. Saved me some cash and points on that last switchback coming into Silverton on 550

Yup for the most part anyways. No more cane still might need some adult supervision though
Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 AM   #1045
deanofoto
AKA, Ricky Bobby

Oddometer: 89
I'm in, please and thanks

deano

Black Dog Cycle Works
deanofoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #1046
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
TDoug, TPak, ETurn: Thx for the suggestions. I'm having a little trouble matching my DeLorme map with some of the rural road's local names you're using. I'll do my homework over the next few days and maybe get back with more questions.

Ciao--Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpak View Post
...avoid it on the weekends as the local gun enthusiasts (idiots not the responsible ones) have pretty much taken over and it is a full on nightmare - they don't bother to look at where the road switches back and are often shooting across the road and they don't give a darn either.
Yikes! Have all the SHTF/Zombie Apocalypse/survivalist guys moved down from Idaho?

Quote:
The Butler Maps of Colorado are indispensable for scenic road/dirt roads. After that, the rest of the inmates need to chime in for trails.
I've got the CO DeLorme and have been pouring over the areas around Lake George and Silverton. Also getting to be on a first name basis with Google maps/Google Earth. Unfortunately, many of the smaller roads aren't covered by Google StreetView (as are NONE of dirt/gravel roads) and it's difficult to figger what the roads are like. I'll definitely pick up some os the Butler maps, based on your and many other recommendations.

Quote:
If it has a FS road sign you can ride it as long as you are plated. Not sure about the sticker requirements after you leave the road if you have a plate - I think it was discussed earlier in the thread.
I'm good to go either way. I've popped for a COHVCO membership as well as the out'a-stater CO trail permit.
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #1047
Dirty Sprocket
Get out and Ride

Oddometer: 27
Im In...Sounds like an Awesome time...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #1048
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,997
Well, it appears like my time in Colorado is up. I'll be transitioning jobs at the end of the year and it may force me to relocate.

The good news (for me ) is I have 50 days of vacation which I'll use for a little ride to AK and down PCH. I begin the trip on June 25 and the way I have it planned, I should be back in CO for RMAR12. I can't promise anything since I probably won't get another opportunity to see AK but I'll do my best to make it back in time.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #1049
Lovin' it Strom
Now low fat!

Oddometer: 2,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmgf7 View Post
Well, it appears like my time in Colorado is up. I'll be transitioning jobs at the end of the year and it may force me to relocate.

The good news (for me ) is I have 50 days of vacation which I'll use for a little ride to AK and down PCH. I begin the trip on June 25 and the way I have it planned, I should be back in CO for RMAR12. I can't promise anything since I probably won't get another opportunity to see AK but I'll do my best to make it back in time.
Sorry to hear you're being relocated out of the best state. Where you off to? Should we cry for you?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #1050
tpak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
TDoug, TPak, ETurn: Thx for the suggestions. I'm having a little trouble matching my DeLorme map with some of the rural road's local names you're using. I'll do my homework over the next few days and maybe get back with more questions.

Ciao--Bubba
also if you look at Google Maps on-line you can click the traffic view box and then terrain and it turns it into a USGS quad map ... very handy. Like someone else mentioned there are a zillion miles of dirt road going all over the place out here. If the topo shows a feint double dashed line going across a big green splotch in Colorado you're probably looking at dirt USFS road going through the National Forest. And one other finer point for folks that don't pretty much live in the National Forest like we do around here - you can camp anywhere in a National Forest not just the organized campgrounds (unless specifically signed to the contrary) - just obey the fire bans and clean up and you are good to go. Of course, checking the signs as you enter is always a good idea to make sure they local USFS office doesn't have some other temporary policy in place is a good idea ...
tpak is offline   Reply With Quote