Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #61
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
These look like great trips, how does one join you guys?
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:05 AM   #62
Tom Diesel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master View Post
These look like great trips, how does one join you guys?
Just invite us for a ride! ;)
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #63
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,074
Ok, I'm late again. But maybe there are one or two (or even three... ) people who are still interested in a few pics...

Due to a rather harder crash on the local lanes earlier this month, Possu was not able to ride his bike to Belgium. He still wanted to go and so we set off to Dover in the car with just my DRZ on the trailer.

The White Cliffs are a sight I never tire of marvelling at

By the way, our favourite ferry company Norfolkline has been bought by DFDS Seaways but their rates are still very competitive when you are happy to spend have half an hour longer on the Channel and land in Dunkirk rather than in Calais.

From Dunkerque / Duinkerke it's only a short stretch to the land of beer and chocolate (oh, and chips, of course... )

Sailing into Hamme-Mille, close to our base camp

... where the welcome committee (and their bikes) was waiting for the new arrivals

Windy and Matt

Aleph and Tom

We then tried to extract some cash from several ATMs but our debit cards were obviously not good enough for the Belgian banks. Funny that my card had worked all over Europe and South America without any problems - Belgium must be very special (which it certainly is, albeit not always for the right reasons... ).

Anyway, just for future reference and if you have some empty bottles to return, the supermarket in Hamme-Mille is open as follows:

Dinner at the Bistro adjacent to the camp site on the first evening was nothing to write home about (I vaguely remember loads of chips...) but Laouen and Duibhcek efficiently sorting out the bill for twenty odd people made a lasting impression.

With this ambience it could have been a very romantic night - but it was just too bl**dy cold...

... as you could clearly see the following morning

Never mind Loz: three days earlier he was still working on a building site next to our house - in shorts!

Anyway, a bit of frost cannot deter a true adventure rider: CrazyIvan, Aleph, Jomme & Rose

Possu giving the last pieces of valuable trail advice to Timpo and Matt...

And then 'Black Bert & Dirt Knights' were off - fourth lane, first stop, if I remember correctly, just to check if we were alright: Windy, his Bertship, Zappa, Laouen and Duibhcek

Sixth lane, second stop...

... due to Zappa's brand spanking new Husaberg starting to fall apart!

No problem for our multi-talented leader

... and two minutes later an interim arrangement was made which should last the whole weekend...

Even the most seasoned run-leader can take a wrong turn occasionally. Bert probably did this on purpose to give me the opportunity to get some frontal snapshots... Windy wrestling his lardy 990

Laouen showing Jomme the right line to take

Re-grouping on the Emperor's Road -

Keizerstraat

After riding that lovely hard-packed gravel track, things got a bit more messy, erm, muddy.

Jomme dragging his heavy pig along the trail - nearly upright most of the times...

It was hard work for the big trailies...

... but they did a great job!

Duibhcek kindly stayed at the back with me in case some weight-lifting was needed - but it wasn't.

Oh, is this our outdoor lunch stop already?

Talking of lunch, my break is over now and I will have to continue later, sorry.

To be continued...
Old 11-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #64
laouen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65

FINALLY!!! the long awaited pics from Pumpy!!!!

laouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #65
Windy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Lardy eh? so thats how it's going to be..

Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #66
Blackbert OP
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post

Coming from a GS-rider(ess), I don't know what to think ...

Anyway, nice to finally have a view from the other end.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #67
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
Don't feel bad Windy. I seem to remember she said that about the Ten as well. I think it's a women thing, pointing out how fat other bikes are, to feel better about her own GS.
duibhceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #68
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by duibhceK View Post
Don't feel bad Windy. I seem to remember she said that about the Ten as well. I think it's a women thing, pointing out how fat other bikes are, to feel better about her own GS.
My choice of words was meant as a compliment to all three of you and the fact that you tackled those not exactly Ten-, 990- and GS-able trails on your heavy beasts - all the more because I know what it feels like.

Men - do we women need to explain everything?

Anyway, more lardy stories to follow...
Old 11-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #69
laouen
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
Men - do we women need to explain everything?
yep

Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 AM   #70
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,062
Yeah, and after that I usually still dont have a clue!

So loz is in constructioning or something? That explains the inhumane resistance to cold -- all night drinking cold ones in a T shirt at least a bit!

Steve, thnx again for getting me in touch with group #3 on day #1¬!

Great seeing some more pictures, keep u'm coming! Keeps me from boring myself to death with today's desk job.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #71
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

No, it was not lunch time yet - Bert had some more workouts for us in store...

Deceptive lush grass, deep muddy ruts and no end in sight

Including the hint of a ford...

... and a tight slippery turning, where a damsel in distress and a knight in shining armour entered the stage...

Then the knight himself...

Yep, looking good!

And Windy - not only upright but even avoiding getting his feet wet...

Short break in Holsbeek - not sure if Black Duck always approved of her master's choice of trails

Due to a user error and disregarding the eleventh commandment "Thou shalt not assume", my bike suddenly needed fuel... So I said to Bert, that I'd quickly pop round the service station and be right back. Thus I learnt more about the Belgians as a people - at least the ones living in the province of Flemish Brabant: they possess something that is almost invaluable these days - they have infinite time!

There was only one other customer in front of me, but he was buying bits and pieces for around 50 Euros, playing the lottery and exchanging opinions with the shop owner about everything what had happened in Holsbeek in the last two days, which was rather and surprisingly a lot. I was standing there with the exact fuel fare in my hand, fully aware that the whole group was waiting for me and getting more and more impatient. Close to saying something rude, I tried to distract myself by looking at piglets - I find this always helps me with anger management...

In the meantime the group had grown (StevenD joined us after losing his original team) and Bert came looking for us at the filling station in case we were in trouble. At a steady pace and without any further stops we carried on to our lunch destination - Horst Castle

Or, as the locals call it, Kasteel van Horst

Now, where was my reverse gear again?

An impressive structure but - having been built in the 13th century - in need of some TLC

Oops, my lunch break is over again.

To prevent you from getting bored until the next instalment, here is something to broaden your general knowledge of Belgian heritage:

To be continued...
Old 11-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #72
Pumpy
Exiled Pumpernickel

Lunch was served in the old coach house of the castle - het Wagenhuis

A rather posh and very delicious sandwich

I learnt some more about the Belgians: they are quite a liberal nation. Mind you, all people in this picture are married - albeit not to each other...

Before things got out of hand, we decided to rather do some lanes while we were there...

Will there be trouble ahead?

Well, a little slope was coming up but everyone made it to the end of this gorgeous lane unscathed!

Re-grouping

This resident you see at the front of the row seemed to think that we were riding on his private road. I don't remember seeing any signs in that respect and just greeted friendly when passing him. Sometimes it helps not to speak the local lingo...

We were now in a region where our spiritual leader had grown up - so he knew the area since hooning up and down the lanes from a tender childhood age on -

Sugar beet Baby Bert

Rush hour in Flanders

Some trails were only open to agricultural traffic...

... and then we even found a ford!

On this particular occasion we didn't follow the leader...

Why you shouldn't go trail riding on your own -

Most importantly, because no one would keep a record of your mishaps!

No harm suffered by man or machine - only the onlookers' stomach muscles were hurting...

On we went through more of the picturesque Belgian countryside

To be continued...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:14 AM   #73
laouen
Adventurer

lunch breaks have definitely become something to look forward to
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #74
IamTRooPeR
TRooPER from Belgium

Oddometer: 114
I am so not interested in all these agricultural activities and other farmers.......

I am so impatience to see the last memorable picture of a lady who said:
"what happens in Belgium, stays in Belgium" while holding something in her hands ...........
IamTRooPeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #75
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTRooPeR View Post
"what happens in Belgium, stays in Belgium" while holding something in her hands ...........
There are digital records of the later results from that statement.

They are carefully guarded in a quantum-encrypted safe, defended by a legion of immortal ninjas. It will only be released to the personal care of Possu for blackmail purposes.
duibhceK is offline   Reply With Quote