ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
MooreRon OP
Banned

Oddometer: 3,274
When Do The Colorado Jeep Trails Open?

There's about a 1/2 dozen KTM 950's heading out from Dallas for Moab on May 26 and I'd like to plan several off-road passes through northern NM and CO.

The roads I'm looking at are NF-421 that heads north off of 64 west of Tres Piedras in northern NM and comes out on SR-17 a few miles west of Antonito, CO.

From there I would like to head west and pick up NF-250 off of SR-17 and follow it to Park Creek Rd. where it ends at US-160 about 6 miles south of South Fork, CO.

From there I would like to take SR-149 to Lake City, CO and pick up CR-20 west through Animas Forks (ghost town), over Engineer's Pass then exit at CR-18 onto US-550 south of Ouray, CO.

In Ouray, possibly pick up Imogene Pass and take it into Telluride and then on to Moab.

Are these passes/roads usually open around the Memorial Day weekend in May?

Thanks for the help!
MooreRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
leadvegas
I want to see your uvula

Oddometer: 1,572
Colorado passes in May? Good luck! The New Mexico passes might be passable (never been on those), but Engineer and Imogene are likely to be impassable until late July, and some passes are sometimes impassable all summer depending on snow loads for the year. Late May or early June you will still find large snowfields blocking your way.

leadvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
cjflyfisher
cjflyfisher

Oddometer: 414
You might have better luck if you head toward the east or west side of the range. I ride them quite a bit, but my rule is if I can't fish the river without ice smacking my knees, don't ride. Independence pass is usually clear in june, but that can change anytime, our snowiest month is March I believe, so travel at your own risk, and our weather changes faster than it does in Texas. That time of year bring a coolmax jersey and your electric jacket. Sounds like a great ride, hope it works out. Personally I'd make the run labor day instead.
cjflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
MooreRon OP
Banned

Thanks for the feeback. The purpose of the trip is Moab and the passes are just something I wanted to put together to make the trip a little more interesting. Based on this feedback, we'll stick to the blacktop and I may try to hit these passes by myself sometime in summer.

Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 2,973
You could do the pavement through Cloudcoft NM and NM152 through Hillsboro then go N on NM15 and take the Continental Divide Trail (dirt) all the way to US 60 and the Very large Array or more west and end up on 180 which would connect to 191. Near Blanding UT there is 30+ miles of dirt that connects to a newer road E of Monticello and then on to Moab.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Esteban
Banned

Oddometer: 5,799
Anotonito to South Fork via Platoro will probably be open since it is County road. Could have a fair bit of ice and snow pack on it though. Call a lodge in Platoro to find out. Look on web for number.

Imogene, Engineer, Cinnamon and other high 4wd pass roads are FRs (forest roads) and will not open until late June or mid July.

SG
Esteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
In '03 we rode the passes in the area in mid June. Imogene, Engineer, Corkscrew, Cinnamon and some others.Everything was open except Black Bear, and riding conditions were great. I haven't kept up on conditions this year though.
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #8
MooreRon OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barko1
You could do the pavement through Cloudcoft NM and NM152 through Hillsboro then go N on NM15 and take the Continental Divide Trail (dirt) all the way to US 60 and the Very large Array or more west and end up on 180 which would connect to 191. Near Blanding UT there is 30+ miles of dirt that connects to a newer road E of Monticello and then on to Moab.
Good info!

Man, I'd love to live in Cloudcroft. Ouray is probably my all time favorite, but Cloudcroft is high on the list.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 9,878
The San Juan mountains are at about 170% of the normal snowpack for right now, or almost equal to the last two years combined for this date. We got a couple more feet up high in the last week with more coming mid-week. If the high passes are open before July, we'll be fighting epic floods from all the snowmelt.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #10
MooreRon OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
The San Juan mountains are at about 170% of the normal snowpack for right now, or almost equal to the last two years combined for this date. We got a couple more feet up high in the last week with more coming mid-week. If the high passes are open before July, we'll be fighting epic floods from all the snowmelt.
Thanks, I did not know that and it's good to know for the planning of this trip.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #11
leadvegas
I want to see your uvula

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
...If the high passes are open before July, we'll be fighting epic floods from all the snowmelt.

I think our version of epic floods differs a bit from the flats. We get a few washed out banks (and homes from people that build on the banks) and roads. A flood in the flats?

IIRC, the last time we had "flooding" was after the particularly wet year of 1995

leadvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #12
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,737
I had a "Fourth of July Rule" when considering Colorado's backcountry passes; in a "normal" snow year, forget travelling them until after then. Some (like Mosquito) are notorious for staying snowed in until late summer, or not opening at all.
- Chris

'04 GS Adv- A fond memory
'07 990 Adventure- still bonding...

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #13
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 475
Rode Engineers, Cinnamon, and Imogene this past week.
Imogene opened as of 7/3/08 and I think it was the last one to open this year.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:03 AM   #14
SomeAssemblyRequired
Here kitty kitty kitty

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr
Rode Engineers, Cinnamon, and Imogene this past week.
Imogene opened as of 7/3/08 and I think it was the last one to open this year.
Black Bear just opened over the past week.

"We spend our lives chipping away at our ignorance" -- as originally posted by DAKEZ

07 KTM 525 EXC
06 Honda CRF250X
SomeAssemblyRequired is offline   Reply With Quote