User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 12:01 AM   #46
tripodtiger
I used to be SCRay

Oddometer: 4,614
Don't change the colour scheme, PLEASE.

If it is in original, un-restored condition, maybe you should consider doing nothing to the finish, just restore the mechanical side.

I've still got my RD250. I regularly holed pistons and stuffed it up, when I was a know nothing 17-18 year old. When I first got it it was partially dis-assembled and I managed to put it all back together again.

Clean it up so you can see the components that you are about to tackle. Sit and look at them before you start with the tools.Edit: should've said "Sit & Look at them, with a manual, before you start with the tools!!

If in doubt, save the cash and give the parts to someone who knows what they are doing.

Be patient and, in 10, 20, 30 years time, you'll have spent 10, 20, 30 years being proud of what you accomplished.

The 350 was a true giant killer. It will put a smile on the face of anyone who rides it.

I love riding mine. Makes me feel like a kid again. Apologies first but they look better in Butterfly Blue.

One more thing. Maybe you could see if it is an RD350 or an RD350A. The A was released shortly after, not sure what alterations were made, if any.
The only differences that I am fully aware of was on RD250 came out with a TLS front drum & 9 litre tank The RD250A had the single disc and a 13 litre fuel tank.
In Oz, the RD250 (like mine) was first delivered to customers in late '72, as a '73 model.

http://tripodtiger.smugmug.com/

tripodtiger screwed with this post 11-13-2011 at 04:43 PM
tripodtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #47
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,376
I wonder what happened to that fine RD , Hey OP if ya still have it when I come to Florida this year I may want to buy it if you lost interest

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #48
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I don't think that is black paint, probably 2 stroke oil caked all over the carbs. DON'T remove the oil lines! Take the carb top after you get the carbs clamps loose and remove them and we will go from there. FIRST I would take it to a quarter car wash, and apply a half gallon of degreaser and let it sit for a half hour and go for it with the high pressure hose.
I would bet a beverage that the slides are stuck and getting them out on the bike is tough

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote