User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Oddometer: 443
Wink This one time... at Sand Camp...

We didn't have any specific plans for the long weekend, so decided to do a bit of off road riding on some of the tracks around Rotorua. We've got some good tracks at our disposal, but don't ride them as much as we'd like.

Saturday Nic joined us to ride some tracks around the back of Lake Rotoma - a mixture of pumicey ruts and stretches of sand - all within 15km of Clint's place. This is where I've been learning to ride in sand, thus the name "sand camp".

The tracks are on DOC land and wind their way through native bush

There are quite a few tracks in the area, and we started to do a bit of exploring of some new areas, but it can be a bit of a rabbit warren and we didn't have maps on us, so decided to stick to tracks we knew. Clint was quick to remind me that someone had bought a new GPS and loaded the topo50 maps onto it the day before One day I'll remember to take it riding with me

The weather has been pretty wet here, but the pumice generally drains well, and it wasn't too muddy. There was the odd deep puddle though

But it wasn't all plain sailing, some of the ruts were pretty deep

It's the first time the WRR has been too short and fat to get through something.

But at least it pushed a bit of a channel through for the others

All that riding in sand a ruts is hard work. The XT became a bit sleepy

The WRR also became sleepy from time to time - I dropped it 4 times trying to get out of one giant rut. Nic came around the corner just after little lie down #4, when I had camly come to the rational decision that thumping the petrol tank with my fist was going to improve the situation. Maybe I have anger issues

Around then the weather changed from hot and sunny to freezing torrential rain, so there were no more photos. Which is lucky, because now no-one will know that Clint got bogged in a puddle (that Nic and I rode through) and needed the girls to help drag the 640 out.

Sunday evening we went out to Clint's family bush block in Reporoa, where we were treated to a spectacular sunset

The hut has no TV, so we had vague intentions to listen to the second half of the rugby on the radio. We went for a quick walk during half time, and Clint shot a deer about 300m from the hut. Recovering the deer turned into a bit of a mission (featuring broken landcruiser hubs and winch sections), and it was after midnight by the time we got in from our quick walk.

On Monday our mate Paul came over with his kids Dean and Ryan, and their quads. Clint hadn't brought the KTM, so had upgraded to the Big Red. Leaving me feeling a bit left out on the only bike. There are a series of 4WD tracks through the bush in Reporoa, which is ideal for hooning around on quads

Quad pace was a bit of a challenge on the WR, but I managed to sneak past a few times and get up the slipperier hills at a respectable pace.

The Red was suffering a bit from Clint's brother's attempts at auto electrical work, and after a bit of roadside diagnoses, he had to head back early.

The four of us continued on around the main loop track.

I didn't stop for too many photos, in case the kids got past me

We got back to the hut, and enjoyed the sun for a while

And Clint took the opportunity to test ride a possible replacement for the 640

Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Shewolfnz
Heels on wheels

Oddometer: 119
great report and photos, sounds like you had a blast

Shewolfnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
Cool, it looks like you had a really fun weekend.
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipeet View Post
Cool, it looks like you had a really fun weekend.
We did have a fun weekend. Except for the rain on Saturday - MX gear is not really suitable wet weather attire for the open road.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Russ

Oddometer: 16,103
what a great time it looks like you were having.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Return to Sand Camp

NZnic and I have decided to do the Dusty Butt next year, so we want to improve our riding fitness and our off road skillz before then.

We were hanging around home at Easter, so it was an excellent opportunity to do a bit of local off-road riding.
Friday afternoon Clint and I went for a quick spin through the tracks behind Rotoma. Itís less than 20km from home, but this is the first time weíd been back since my last sand camp update.

The tracks were in reasonable condition (rutted and a bit overgrown, but with plenty of decent lines). I was in my off-road riding groove (which doesnít normally happen), so we didnít really stop or have any major offs, which means there are no photos. But I did take the GPS, so at least we know where we went.

There are a few different tracks in there, so further exploring and GPSing will be required. Itís all publicly accessible, so if anyone is in the area and wanted to explore, I can provide maps or GPS tracks.

Sunday we were out at Clintís family bush block in Reporoa, and invited along Nic, with her ADV houseguests Phil, Dawn and Colin to go for a ride in the forest.
The loop we did is a combination of trail riding and 4WD tracks through native bush that had been selectively logged in the 30ís.

Colinís new WR was doing the business (of course )

We stopped at the top of the hill to enjoy the view (Ruapehu is kind-of visible above Colinís head)

And to admire Clintís (partially obscured) digger

After a very enjoyable loop with no real incidents (other than me stopping on a hill behind Nic, then finding myself sliding backwards down the hill) we went up to the hut for a cup of tea. The view was excellent (if you ignored Colinís hairy puku )

Despite only being two fairly short rides, it was good to get out and do some off road riding. Itís taken me a long time to build my off road confidence, but now Iím not convinced of imminent doom, Iím able to concentrate on what is going on around me, and keep a clear head, which makes it easier to get my technique right. Iím going a bit faster, and Iím not coming off as much.

Rosie! screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 02:15 PM
Rosie! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Ok so I will shave the gut Sheesh some people
Thanks guys for letting us into your playground, we had a blast
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Thanks for letting us come play in your playground. Awesome We managed to find our way through the forest to Minganui in the afternoon. Just didnt take any notice what Colins "Devilbox" was trying to tell us
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,743
Great photos as usual Rosie

Great to hear that you are feeling more confident trail riding

Is there enough in that area for a full weekends riding? - it looks way more fun than just bashing up and down some gravel roads....

cheers

Mark
Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Is there enough in that area for a full weekends riding? - it looks way more fun than just bashing up and down some gravel roads....

cheers

Mark
Between Rotoma, and Reporoa, and Minginui you could stick together a solid weekends riding. Clint has plans to organise a ride along those lines... one day...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie! View Post
Between Rotoma, and Reporoa, and Minginui you could stick together a solid weekends riding. Clint has plans to organise a ride along those lines... one day...
I've been reluctant to organise something as most of the gnarlyer local tracks are very weather dependent - fun in the dry on an adv pig but hard work after a few days rain even on a proper dirtbike. I might have to just set a date sometime next summer & see if the weather cooperates.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #12
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintnz View Post
I've been reluctant to organise something as most of the gnarlyer local tracks are very weather dependent - fun in the dry on an adv pig but hard work after a few days rain even on a proper dirtbike. I might have to just set a date sometime next summer & see if the weather cooperates.

Cheers
Clint
know what you mean - the mungatooks can go from awesome to greased glass with one decent shower

I wasnt hinting that you should organize something - I was just wondering if it would be a good impluse 'feel like going away this weekend..' type destination

cheers

Mark
Old 04-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,390
Last Saturday saw another sunny day dawn, so after a few chores around the house we couldnít stand it anymore & set off to the pub. Via Lake RotomaÖ

Ö& Sand camp

Which was a bit muddy in places.

But mostly the pumice soil dries out fairly quickly, it was good going & we made it out to Rotoehu no worries. Then went west along the backroads on the north side of Lake Rotoiti to the Okere Falls Store for a beer before looping home on the main rd.

On Sunday we had a real treat thanks to our friend Rex. He lives close to the Burt Bros farm at Mimiha, where they run trail rides every few months, & had organized access for a few locals to the nicely groomed trails before they get torn up on the next organized ride.

The dry conditions made the farm & forest trails perfect for a challenging & enjoyable run for the Gentlemen Adventurers:

While Gary & I balanced up the field with some hoonery & a few diversions down some sections of singletrack. After a lap we stopped back at the woolshed for smoko, then did another lap of the main circuit in reverse.

We liked that so much we did it againÖ

Öwent up & down the hillÖ

Öthen Rex led us on a tour over to the other side of the farm & some great views up & down the Bay of Plenty coast.

We ended up at a hut overlooking the Pacific & a view of our most active local volcano, White Island:

Then it was back down through the farm:

After which we all agreed it had been a mighty fine dayís ride. Things continued to get better however, as just down the road at Rexís place was a bucket full of cold beers & a BBQ ready to fry up some wild venison sausages!

Even the ride home was good, the most direct route back to Rotoiti is all fun twisty backroads & there was a nice sunset to cap off the weekend.

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Rosie! OP
Little MissAdventure

Quote:
On Sunday we had a real treat thanks to our friend Rex. He lives close to the Burt Bros farm at Mimiha, where they run trail rides every few months, & had organized access for a few locals to the nicely groomed trails before they get torn up on the next organized ride.
I've got a sore right wrist after that ride
Must've been twisting the throttle too far

My confidence (and consequently speed) were much improved on Sunday, I even got into third gear a couple of times Although I couldn't get air off the uphill water runoffs the way Clint was. Not enough braap

NZNic and I also took the opportunity to swap bikes and play in the paddock during lunch, practicing some full-lock figure of 8's, Chris Birch riding-tips stylez. I thought it was going to be the last I saw of the WR for the day, but Nic took pity on me and gave it back again.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #15
kiwipeet
Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer: 3,009
Quote:
Last Saturday saw another sunny day dawn, so after a few chores around the house we couldnít stand it anymore & set off to the pub. Via Lake RotomaÖ

Bums... How'd I miss that

Quote:

Cool shot
kiwipeet is offline   Reply With Quote