Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
josiahq OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Patagonia Trip Advice

Hi All,

I'm planning on a trip late this Fall to Patagonia. I'd like to fly into Buenos Aires, rent a motorcycle, and then head South eventually making it to Ushuaia and back. I'm a moderately experienced rider, having done several long-distance trips in the US, but I recognize that South America (and Patagonia specifically) is a completely different animal.

My immediate goal is to secure a rental from a reputable business in BA and then focus on learning most of maintenance that may need to be required on the trip in addition to building a thorough parts manifest.

I'd appreciate any advice/tips/great locales to visit you can provide including recommendations on where to rent and bike type. Bulk of my experience has been on early 80's Japanese enduro's/rallys and more recent Triumph Tiger / Scramblers. All my reading (and friends) indicate that a GS Adventure would be a great choice.

Thoughts? and as always, many many thanks.
josiahq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Awryt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
DVD "The Ride. Alaska to Patagonia"

Josiahq
I can't provide any info from personal experience (I'm in Oz - and Patagonia isn't even on my bucket list) but if you haven't seen it already, then the DVD "The Ride. Alaska to Patagonia" is worth a look and could be useful for you.
http://www.dukevideo.com/Bikes/DVD/B...gonia-DVD.aspx
Regards
Awryt
Awryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,665
I recently was in Patagonia and can tell you a couple of things. Gas up whenever you can, carry extra water, learn some Spanish and be prepared for more wind than you have ever encountered. Also a GS would be my choice of bikes for that trip. Of course carry extra food as you will go long distances with-out seeing much to eat.

Do not miss Torres del Paine NP and Los Glaciers NP both close to El Calafate. A nice town with plenty of places to stay and eat. Also lots of outdoors activity shops there. I stayed at a place called Patagonia Queen which was very nice and they spoke English. Also start with new tires and bring a good patch kit, the roads can be rough. They can also be very good. Distances between places that far south are very far between. But worth it.

Also, the seasons are opposite of ours here in the US but you probably knew that. You can drink the water there as it is usually safe. Usually.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
I live in Patagonia (600km from Ushuaia). The roads are in very good condition but, as FotoTEX said, gas un always because the winds can be very strong and your millage will drop or you might find gas problems due to political issues.

"Ruta" 3 heads from South to North and it is all asphalt, you only have 150km of gravel between de Ferry and Rio Grande.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
josiahq OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks so much for the tips. This is all great.

Any recommended places to rent a bike in BA? Better to buy a used one there, have it tuned up / prepped, and then sell it when I'm done with the trip?
josiahq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
Manolito
Patagonia guide

http://www.motorentargentina.com/

http://www.motocare.com.ar/alquiler/

Old 06-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
RTW Motorcycling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahq View Post
Thanks so much for the tips. This is all great.

Any recommended places to rent a bike in BA? Better to buy a used one there, have it tuned up / prepped, and then sell it when I'm done with the trip?

If you have the time and the patience, buying off a fellow traveller is what quite a few people do. But they are usually on long trips and can afford to look around and wait. You would also be looking at the beginning of the high season so there will be more buyers than sellers at that point. But a person never knows. You would also have the situation when it comes to sell, you have to be able to find a buyer whose schedule overlaps yours.

The other option people consider is to buy a locally registered bike but this rarely happens due to the hassle of buying a bike in some (but not all) SA countries and the fact that typically bikes are expensive when compared to NA prices as they have high import taxes associated with them when they are brought into the country.

In short, if you have travelling for a relatively short period of time rentals are probably the easiest way to go. As the length of your trip gets up there, then it can be worth it to look more extensively into the buying and reselling option.
RTW Motorcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Manolito
Patagonia guide

If he wants to spend U$S26000 for a F 800 Gs, U$S13000 for a G650 GS ,U$S 35000 for a 1200 gs, etc he can buy a locally registered bike

Old 06-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,475
Seems like a number of people wind up their journeys in Punta Arenas and sell their bikes down there.
This may be helpful.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762035
Also Punta Arenas would be a better starting point for touring Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego.
There is also more bike rental touring activity out of Santiago.
Also.check the hubb for people selling bikes.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/travel-bikes-for-sale-wanted/
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 01:48 PM
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote