Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2011, 02:58 AM   #46
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-Okie View Post
Cycle Wizard,

I had already planned on going with the big fin head when I send you my next engine for the upgrade/mod so yes I am very interested.

I hope to have the parts you have now back together in running by years end so with any luck I will have the next engine ready to send to you March/April time frame.

Okie
Would you want me to weld them on or do you have your own welder?

It looks like there's lot of interest in the big finned head so I'm going to make up some kits.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:05 AM   #47
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
We got lost the first day in Colorado 180 miles from the house at 4:30 pm and was pretty much forced to ride Interstate 70 all the way back. My bike had about 300 miles on it at that point. Thank goodness it was cool outside because I bucked up and rode that dude 65-75mph all the way back and just tried not to think about it.
I've over heated my share of XR's running the freeway to keep up with traffic and the other worse thing you can do is let your bike idle in traffic. If you get stuck in traffic your bike needs to be held at or near 2000 rpm to help cool it that's when the oil pump starts pumping at full capacity.

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #48
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,862
Big Fins

I'm down for some big fins. Who could resist. I think I'll have the whole enchilada done to the head that I'll send. Valve job, port 'n polish and of course the fins.

Is it necessary to replace the valves with say Kibblewhite? I have always run the OE valves. I can't see how one valve is better than the next as long as it's in good condition.

What about valve springs to go with your 628 cam?

So does it matter what tank you have for the petcock to clear the fins? Is there an interference issue?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #49
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Steve,

There is a clearance issue with the IMS tank....

CW, an you take a pic and post of the burnt bike's head showing the relief cut?

You have both sizes of the Clarke tanks, an IMS tank, do you have an Acerbis tank by chance? You can fit all of the tanks on the bikes and possibly mill the head fins to accommodate all of the tank options.

Years ago, I had an IMS tank and was stopped in Mexico for a minute and heard some bubbling in the tank... I opened the tank and saw the petcock was so hot that gas was boiling around it. This only happened with the weight of a rider, and the tank lifted an 1/8" or so when you got off of it. I cut the fins quite a bit larger so that was not an issue anymore. It was a scary thing... Thinking about the nuts being the first impact point in an explosion!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #50
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Steve,

You have both sizes of the Clarke tanks, an IMS tank, do you have an Acerbis tank by chance? You can fit all of the tanks on the bikes and possibly mill the head fins to accommodate all of the tank options.

Years ago, I had an IMS tank and was stopped in Mexico for a minute and heard some bubbling in the tank... I opened the tank and saw the petcock was so hot that gas was boiling around it. This only happened with the weight of a rider, and the tank lifted an 1/8" or so when you got off of it. I cut the fins quite a bit larger so that was not an issue anymore. It was a scary thing... Thinking about the nuts being the first impact point in an explosion!
Damn oil filler plug anyway...me bad..

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 10-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #51
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I'm down for some big fins. Who could resist. I think I'll have the whole enchilada done to the head that I'll send. Valve job, port 'n polish and of course the fins.

Is it necessary to replace the valves with say Kibblewhite? I have always run the OE valves. I can't see how one valve is better than the next as long as it's in good condition.

What about valve springs to go with your 628 cam?

So does it matter what tank you have for the petcock to clear the fins? Is there an interference issue?
Stock valves are fine in my book but I can sell you stainless for the same price.
Yes you will need new springs and retainers to accomodate the new profile, are you wanting an HRC 628 cam?

Mike is right about the ims tank but the clarke has no issues.

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 AM   #52
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Steve,

At our age the NUTS are not in service anylonger.......

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 10-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #53
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Steve,

Damn guys I KNEW it and thought I was the only one or something...

My damn IMS 4GAL boils my gas...its happened now 2-3 times...only happens in slow technical up pr downhill, it freaks me out..

Its also for some reason tilted towards the right(the non petcock side) so I only get 3 1/4 galons of use from it...

I thought about elongating the triangle frame mounts so it sits up and pushes the gas back towards the petcock a bit more...

so damn that means no fins for me

Im guessing the valve caps will interfere too?

darn

what have you guys done with the IMS to "fix" this issue?

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #54
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post

My damn IMS 4GAL boils my gas...its happened now 2-3 times...only happens in slow technical up pr downhill, it freaks me out..

Its also for some reason tilted towards the right(the non petcock side) so I only get 3 1/4 galons of use from it...

I thought about elongating the triangle frame mounts so it sits up and pushes the gas back towards the petcock a bit more...

darn

cheers
This is only on the big fin heads that I had a problem... If you are having this issue and no big fin heads??? I would have to see it. I'll be there in 3 weeks

Seriously.... CW is building an"L" for me to ship to Mexico and I will be heading South... I would love to have you show me around your area
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:10 AM   #55
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post

darn

cheers

You can still use the big fins with the IMS tank, you have to mill the top fin in the back to clear the tank it's not a big deal. The clarke tank is a bolt on as long as the finns are milled at the petcock.
Attached Images