Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #16
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,249
This is getting interesting,,,,,,i actually can stay awake and away from beer reading this...

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #17
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I'm in....I'm at my limit now for information on what next to do to my KLR685 StageII head,ported and polished from airbox to exhaust, bigger valves, Mega Camed, Flatslid, modded exhaust powerplant!!!
I need to know now about how to add compression to a KLR engine with a non adjustable cam timing system! augh!

Subscribed....please advise.....sitting on the edge of my seat!...
I had it 3/4 written out an hit the back button and it all disappeared,,,,,,,,,gawd that pisses me off when I do that.

I'm going to start over..after I get back from Tim Hortons

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #18
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam14 View Post
Real interested in the finer points of rod ratios. In the context of building a reliable motor, is it really worth the effort to add a long rod and move the wrist pin up to generate a long rod motor. At what point is the rod ratio too short? Since a long rod motor will have more dwell time at TDC, how dose that affect cam timing and demands on lift and duration?

TIA
Cam timing and lift is a good question. I have never heard anyone give this advice,
and I dreamed it up myself. Actually, I figured it out using simple
geometry equations. Any valve lift past 0.25 of the valve head diameter
is basically a waste of time (or lift, more accurately). So, a 2" valve
needs no more than 0.500" of lift. A 1.6" valve head (like an exhaust
valve) needs no more than 0.400" of lift. Flowbench results clearly
demonstrate this when you pay attention to it. Yeah, maybe flow goes up
a bit past this 0.25/1 lift/valve head dia. ratio, but not much compared
with what it does at lesser lifts. I have done flowbench testing where the
flow actually drops off much past the 0.25 ratio point, although that's
a bit unusual. Yeah, most cams you buy have the same exhaust lift as
intake lift and same duration #'s despite the fact on the exhaust side that it doesn't help;
it's just convenient for the machinist to do it this way. Cam duration
(all other things equal) will be affected by the rod length/stroke
ratio. More stroke (for a given deck height) results in a smaller
rod/stoke ratio and that needs a bit more cam duration ... to get the
same timing for piston position (which is what you are trying to get the
valves to open and close for). I've writen articles where a long rod
engine and a short rod engine (otherwise as identical as possible) were
both run on the dyno and the long rod engine gets more horespower with
the same cam. The assumption here is that cam timing is cam timing is
cam timing. But this ignores where the piston is and where the piston is
with a short rod isn't where it is with a long rod at the same crank
angle (like halfway between TDC and BDC for example). So the piston
position with the short rod is NOT the same as it is for a long rod and
THEREFORE with an identical cam the VALVE opening does not occur at the
same piston displacement with different rod ratios. From a piston
displacement viewpoint, a long rod engine gets more cam duration (with
the identical cam setup) than the short rod engine and therefore gets
more horespower ... in addition to lower piston drag which also helps
the longer rod ratio engines. If you get the same valve opening for
piston displacement, the short rod engine needs a bit more cam duration
to accomplish the same actual piston displacement timing. OK, I need a
blackboard to really explain this. The easier thing to do once you get
your bore, stroke determined, and head flowed, is give these numbers to
me C-dub when you want to do your cam, and I will crunch the numbers for you and give you the grind that fits your engines needs. plug plug.......the mods here will probably put me on probation again..

On a big 780XR motor with a ported head I've found it breathes the best at or near 480 lift but not enough to warrant the wear and tear on the valve train, 405 lift seems to be the best all around #'s on big stroker motored XR's for longtivity and power, but if you guys want a cam that large no problem I will do it for you.
The intake valves will come in contact at those lift numbers because of the canted valve design so there are things that have to be done to the head to accommodate these issues.

For smaller displacement 644's to 675 XR's 370/380 lift is plenty..you don't want to over cam your motor. The larger bore and stroke motors can take much more cam than a smaller bore and stroke, the larger bore will mellow the cam compared to a smaller displacement engine with equal cam events.

Now if you want a "large" cam on a smaller 644cc 675 XR than you need to up the comp in the 12 to 13 C.R. range to get it's full effect.

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #19
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
Now how do i get all the people i've argued with about 4 strokes to read this Wiz ,that's the kicker.
The long/short rod thing is called dwell angle and yes the fugs can read that too.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:50 AM   #20
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Another myth I would like to put to rest is the oiling problem people discuss here and over at TT or so they think there's an oiling problem..there's not..it's all in the hands of the opperator.

The only reason" well one of them" people fry there valve train on these motors is they set there idle to damn low, the pump on an XR does not pump enough fluid at low RPM's sitting in traffic........ set your idle to 1500 rpm or more..

If your sitting in traffic on a hot day idling bring your rpm's up to 2000 so the oil can flow and help cool the bike.
When I build a motor or bike for a customer there's a reason why I have the idle set high so don't fricken play with it please... it gives me bad feed back and won't cool properly and you could ruin your new motor...puff it starts to smoke...

Clean your down tube and engine screens and when you pull your side cover off on the clutch side make sure the O-ring and dowel is in place when you put it back on.

One more very important factor here is you have to use a ZDDP additive on these motors or an oil like redline that has a high percentage of ZDDP mixed in the additive package, one other thing is STP has a high content of ZDDP in it also, mix some in there if Redline is not available in your area and Joe Gibbs oil for breakin......

Wizard manufacturing....

cyclewizard screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 05:56 AM
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #21
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frapper View Post
Now how do i get all the people i've argued with about 4 strokes to read this Wiz ,that's the kicker.
The long/short rod thing is called dwell angle and yes the fugs can read that too.

I've tried many of times myself and I gave up....I usualy just listen and not say much but Mike started a post here that people need to read so this is my .02

Wizard manufacturing....
Old 10-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #22
Wattner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Dang Paw a dun lernt sumpin new 'agin....

Im redee 4 mohr skoolin
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #23
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Dang Paw a dun lernt sumpin new 'agin....

Im redee 4 mohr skoolin
Good morning son..