ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #31
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Did you forget about me or did I miss something somewhere?.....augh......which usually happens, me missing the point......augh!

My cams have a .410" lift 250degree at .040"
As said before...KLR685, 1 mm larger valves all round, ported and polishedhead and also the rest of the system to the can from air cleaner, stock base gasket to keep compression stock, same for head gasket, better needle klx needle and 145 main, UNI air cleaner, BigGun header, opened up stock can(soon to be aftermarket) FCR-MX slider 39mm carb.

Now it's possible compression time....can't adjust the cam timing at all easily. the sprockets are single dowel located, it really needs 4 degrees added to it. But that is a very complicated deal by repositioning the dowels to get half a tooths distance or slightly more seeing as each tooth results in 7 degrees of timing.

Please advise....?

Still perched on the edge......
What comp are you running?? You may even have to weld the pin hole closed and drill a new one at -4 degrees to accomplish this.
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #32
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
What comp are you running?? You may even have to weld the pin hole closed and drill a new one at -4 degrees to accomplish this.
Slotting the pin hole only works if you are retarding the timing, if you need to advance it you will have to relocate the dowel pin hole in the gear, I would relocate the pin hole even when retarding the cam for safty's sake.
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....

cyclewizard screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 07:43 AM
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #33
Wattner OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Wattner's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Treasure Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
I've tried many of times myself and I gave up....I usualy just listen and not say much but Mike started a post here that people need to read so this is my .02
I hope this is ok... The hours of conversation and philosophy is always answered with knowledge and experience by you, he master.... I was/am hoping the collective masses may gather as much as I have from you.. The information is priceless!!!!

KUDOS Dad!

Wattner screwed with this post 10-27-2011 at 08:33 AM
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #34
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
I hope this is ok... The hors of conversation and philosophy is always answered with knowledge and experience by you, he master.... I was/am hoping the collective masses may gather as much as I have from you.. The information is priceless!!!!

KUDOS Dad!
Be back latter son have to go to work..
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #35
willys
Beastly Adventurer
 
willys's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
What comp are you running?? You may even have to weld the pin hole closed and drill a new one at -4 degrees to accomplish this.

I'm running just above 9.2, I think whatever stock is on a KLR650 2004....sorry don't know off the top of the old bean....I too am interested in the choice of decking the head or shaving the cylinder....?

Thanks for the cam timing info, already figured that part out as you have suggested. The issue is, by increasing the compression I'm moving the timing a tad aren't I? That is bringing the two systems together, crank and timing sprockets via the chain. It's moving in the wrong direction also isn't it? Which compounds my newly wanted timing ...?
This is the reason I haven't upped my compression up to now......worried about the timing issue as it isn't the easiest thing to adjust. Yes it's just a matter of boring a few new holes etc in laymans terms but it has to be extremely precise!

I'm really enjoying learning all you have to offer...it's great when a knowledgeable person shares what they know instead of hoarding that knowledge and not teaching the other up and coming mechanics so to speak.
Again thanks.
__________________
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #36
willys
Beastly Adventurer
 
willys's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 2,903
I have another question if you can help or not I would be very gratefull for you insight.
I have a 39mm FCR-MX carb...I have it in bits at the moment and have taken it totally apart and I mean totally. I have pressed out the accelerator nozzle to clean it when cleaning the rest of it. All gaskets are still 100% intact and everything else is now perfect....BUT...in my haste to get this damned nozzle out I have damaged the slot that is meant to turn it to direct the spray. Do you know of anywhere that I can get a replacement or an aftermarket nozzle for this carb....I've been searching for hours. No my PC searching skills aren't that great as Ifound it a few days ago and now can't repeat that find.
I would be eternally grateful if you did know where....thanks again.....or to anyone else who may know.
__________________
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #37
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer
 
GAS GUY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Garden City, Michigan
Oddometer: 2,567
cycle wizard,
Where are you located in michigan ?? Do you have a shop and/or offer machine shop services such as cylinder boring and cylinder head work ??
__________________
2008 KLR 705
2001 GAS GAS 321
2004 ST1300
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #38
MichiganMachete
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I have another question if you can help or not I would be very gratefull for you insight.
I have a 39mm FCR-MX carb...I have it in bits at the moment and have taken it totally apart and I mean totally. I have pressed out the accelerator nozzle to clean it when cleaning the rest of it. All gaskets are still 100% intact and everything else is now perfect....BUT...in my haste to get this damned nozzle out I have damaged the slot that is meant to turn it to direct the spray. Do you know of anywhere that I can get a replacement or an aftermarket nozzle for this carb....I've been searching for hours. No my PC searching skills aren't that great as Ifound it a few days ago and now can't repeat that find.
I would be eternally grateful if you did know where....thanks again.....or to anyone else who may know.
have you tried Sudco? I used to get all kinds of parts from them back in the two stroke days. Last time I tried to get something small (fcr fuel screw stuff) from them they kinda got upset because my order wasn't big enough, and at first denied it, sending me to a dealer that purchased from them, but after a couple "nice" emails they said I could place my order if I paid a $5 fee.

So either a dealer that works with them, or direct if you must!

www.sudco.com

http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams323728/expfcrmx.gif
MichiganMachete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #39
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjinscout View Post
cycle wizard,
Where are you located in michigan ?? Do you have a shop and/or offer machine shop services such as cylinder boring and cylinder head work ??
yep sure do I live by Frankenmuth Mi.
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #40
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMachete View Post
have you tried Sudco? I used to get all kinds of parts from them back in the two stroke days. Last time I tried to get something small (fcr fuel screw stuff) from them they kinda got upset because my order wasn't big enough, and at first denied it, sending me to a dealer that purchased from them, but after a couple "nice" emails they said I could place my order if I paid a $5 fee.

So either a dealer that works with them, or direct if you must!
When I first tried to get a dealer agreement with them they told me to go fly a kite that I wasn't worthy..

They have a lock on the market...them turkey's
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #41
MichiganMachete
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
When I first tried to get a dealer agreement with them they told me to go fly a kite that I wasn't worthy..

They have a lock on the market...them turkey's
haha nice!

PS good to see Michigan representing so solidly here! Please continue to enlighten/confuse/amaze us!
MichiganMachete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
I'm running just above 9.2, I think whatever stock is on a KLR650 2004....sorry don't know off the top of the old bean....I too am interested in the choice of decking the head or shaving the cylinder....?

Thanks for the cam timing info, already figured that part out as you have suggested. The issue is, by increasing the compression I'm moving the timing a tad aren't I? That is bringing the two systems together, crank and timing sprockets via the chain. It's moving in the wrong direction also isn't it? Which compounds my newly wanted timing ...?
This is the reason I haven't upped my compression up to now......worried about the timing issue as it isn't the easiest thing to adjust. Yes it's just a matter of boring a few new holes etc in laymans terms but it has to be extremely precise!

I'm really enjoying learning all you have to offer...it's great when a knowledgeable person shares what they know instead of hoarding that knowledge and not teaching the other up and coming mechanics so to speak.
Again thanks.
I think what you are doing may result in problems. Back in the day when Patman Racing was going to build the ultimate KLR with either the 685 or 705, gaining compression by that route resulted in retarded timing that lost HP Lots of good info on his site, but the project fizzled at that point.

I understand degreeing the cam sprockets is a solution, I hope there is another.
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #43
Luke
GPoET&P
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idiotville, OR
Oddometer: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
.... the pump on an XR does not pump enough fluid at low RPM's sitting in traffic........

How do you know this?

I don't doubt that it's true, but am wondering how I could find out if some other type of motor has the same problem. Preferably without ruining a bunch of cams and journals.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #44
MichiganMachete
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
How do you know this?

I don't doubt that it's true, but am wondering how I could find out if some other type of motor has the same problem. Preferably without ruining a bunch of cams and journals.

I've heard similar regarding the Aprilia rxv and sxv motors.
MichiganMachete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #45
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer
 
cyclewizard's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Norway/Michigan.
Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
How do you know this?

I don't doubt that it's true, but am wondering how I could find out if some other type of motor has the same problem. Preferably without ruining a bunch of cams and journals.

Because I did just that toasted cams and head journals...lots of them, I got purdy good at repairing heads and cams..
What you do is measure the amount of oil the pump puts out with a measuring cup or a glass burette per minute or break it down in 10/20/30/40/50/60 second intervals..
__________________
C-dub......


Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014