Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #76
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post

we lucked out, I actually found the specs, I had them logged into my computer and forgot I had them...
So they are still available if you want one..

I'll grind him a HRC cam and throw the hotcam in the scrap pile.

I've sent you two cams and a XR600 head for the treatment.

Ya think the scrap pile might reject the Hot Cam? Spit it out on the floor??

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #77
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I've sent you two cams and a XR600 head for the treatment.

Ya think the scrap pile might reject the Hot Cam? Spit it out on the floor??

..probably not even worth 20cent at the recycler.

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 AM   #78
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
The XL600 twin carb head is highly sought after in the flat track world for it's great pull out of the corners and high speeds down the staights.
The idea behind having one port larger that the other is to create swirl in the mixture for a better burn and throttle response so you want to keep the ports the way they are if your going to do any porting on the head, one larger than the other.
For the carbs, you don't need a pumper carb on that motor the twin round slides work great, I had a 83XL600R that was stock but with taller gearing and it would do 105 to 108 mph depending on head winds.

It's by far the best of the lot if you can find them, I have a few here that I was thinking about doing a 106mm kit on them.
I think it would be a terror with 10.5 or 11.1 comp an HRC cam grind "now that I found the specs" and keep the stock header because they already have larger tubes than a XRL has and just add a slipon.
You could build one of these on the cheap and have one sweet power band, Yikes.....

here's a pic that Wattner sent me of a xl600 motor..it has a pumper carb on the one side.
I have a feeling my XL600 has some work done to it already. With 14/45 sprockets it will power up wheelies in 1-3 with my chest on the crossbar and wheelie in 4th-5th just by staying centered and pulling up some. At 270#'s I'm not a light weight either...

I was asking how a single carb head with a pumper carbs throttle response is compared to a twin carb set-ups response.

I would like to combine my XR650L's engine with my XL600R crank and kickstart. I know I loose the majic button unless I can find a GB500 crank to use. I think the XRL's primary gearing and wide ratio trans with NX gears, the 75mm crank and a 105mm/106mm piston would be great. It would have a great rod to stroke ratio and bore to stroke ratio. Do you know if this is possible???

Is the HRC grind cam availiable for the XL's different cam and head design?

I have a 94 XR650L that would be the chassis and engine doner. It has a bad 2nd gear right now. My XL600 will donate itself just to be in a better frame/chassis.

That dual carb engine with one pumper carb is sweet, but probably overkill. It looks like it has a XR650L jug on it. They probably are opening the secondary carb sooner.

I have 2 XL headers and slip ons I use.

My friend has 6 XL600R's so I wil get spare parts from him.

I like a big thumper with a light flywheel and a hefty powerband.

So are you up to building an CW649XLR engine for me?

MentalGuru screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 07:53 AM
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 AM   #79
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Looks like an awesome thread, I can't wait to read through it when I get out of work today!
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #80
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGuru View Post
I have a feeling my XL600 has some work done to it already. With 14/45 sprockets it will power up wheelies in 1-3 with my chest on the crossbar and wheelie in 4th-5th just by staying centered and pulling up some. At 270#'s I'm not a light weight either...

I was asking how a single carb head with a pumper carbs throttle response is compared to a twin carb set-ups response.

I would like to combine my XR650L's engine with my XL600R crank and kickstart. I know I loose the majic button unless I can find a GB500 crank to use. I think the XRL's primary gearing and wide ratio trans with NX gears, the 75mm crank and a 105mm/106mm piston would be great. It would have a great rod to stroke ratio and bore to stroke ratio. Do you know if this is possible???

Is the HRC grind cam availiable for the XL's different cam and head design?

I have a 94 XR650L that would be the chassis and engine doner. It has a bad 2nd gear right now. My XL600 will donate itself just to be in a better frame/shassis.

That dual carb engine with one pumper carb is sweet, but probably overkill. It looks like it has a XR650L jug on it. They probably are opening the secondary carb sooner.

I have 2 XL headers and slip ons I use.

My friend has 6 XL600R's so I wil get spare parts from him.

I like a big thumper with a light flywheel and a hefty powerband.

So are you up to building an CW649XLR engine for me?

Sure lets do it.....

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #81
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Hey CW,

How much would you charge to freshen up a motor with approximately 12000 miles on it? What I am looking for is honed cylinder, valve job, fresh gaskets and such. Well unless for similiar money you have a better way to go with the motor. Gonna have more than usual tax return this year.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #82
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Hey CW,

How much would you charge to freshen up a motor with approximately 12000 miles on it? What I am looking for is honed cylinder, valve job, fresh gaskets and such. Well unless for similiar money you have a better way to go with the motor. Gonna have more than usual tax return this year.
I just made four 106mm slugs that are 10.5.1 comp, I would bore your cases/ bore your jug to eccept the over sized sleeve and bore the new sleeve and finish hone it for you and then finish it with a plateau brush...for 130.00 labor.
And to mill the head and top of the new cylinder is 25.00 apiece so 50.00 if you want that.
just a sleeve job is 50.00 bucks labor plus decking the top for 25.00 so 75.00 for that.

A valve job starts at 80.00 and goes to 150.00 depending on what cuts you want..

I'll pm you some more info on parts pricing, I give all ADV members a discount on parts.
I'm going to pm you also so we can talk more in depth.

If you want stock Honda parts NO-okie works at a Honda dealership he might cut you guys some deals also, I dunno so shoot him a pm.