User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #91
Chet Jr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Great thread!

Would like to hear opinions on potential setups for a reliable big bore GB500 street bike.
Thanks

Chet
Chet Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #92
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet Jr View Post
Great thread!

Would like to hear opinions on potential setups for a reliable big bore GB500 street bike.
Thanks

Chet
Add a XL600R cylinger to have the same bore and stroke the 600 has.

Building it with a 105mm-106mm 9.5-10.5 CW piston will give you a 649cc-661cc short stroke engine. It will have a great rod to stroke ratio and bore to stroke ratio. Just swap a stoke 100mm XL600R cylinder and head on it. You want the dual carbs for sure if they fit. The 105mm-106mm big bore kit will give you add quench to the combustion chamber so it can run on good pump gas. Add a cam with the head ported to make it have a sweet powerband. 60+ horsepower is easy reached. The throttle response will be bog free and pull hard from idle to 8000+ rpm.

If you can't run dual carbs use a 600 or 650 single carb head with a pumper carb.

I have been planning a somewhat similar build. I'll be using a XR650L bottom end with a XL600R 75mm crank. My plan is to useXR650L bottom end for the wide gear spread you get when you add a NX/FMX650 gear and a NX650 2nd gear to eliminate the gap between 1st to 2nd gear. The only stumbling block is I loose the electric start... Unless I can find a good GB500 engine to keep the magic button. The odds on finding one here in the states seems pretty slim.... I basicly listed the rest of my engine build plan above.

CW should be able to answer any questions you have and be able to use his years of building this engine series to use his magic to help you build exactly what you want.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 PM   #93
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Any details about the roller rockers that were mentioned that you made??

Are you still making them or will you be making more? Do you grind a nice steep ramped cam to match? It would be some nice icing on the cake a big bore motor makes.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:11 PM   #94
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
we lucked out, I actually found the specs, I had them logged into my computer and forgot I had them...
So they are still available if you want one..

When I checked Mikes cam something was fishy with the specs they didn't seem right"weak" so I checked a hotcam I had laying here and sure as shit they were the same..I feel bad for Mike, I'll grind him a HRC cam and throw the hotcam in the scrap pile. his cam was galled and so was his rockers.
Hey CW........ be real careful when throwing that hotcam in the scrap bin........they bouce like an old indian rubber ball.......remember those

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #95
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard View Post
I'm building a long rod 10.5.1 724cc motor for katbeanz right now, they work real good with just the CVcarb and and aftermarket pipe or just a plain ole slipon. that's the beauty of it.
i just bought 1983 xl600r motor from a breakers in scotland.its probably half way accross the irish sea now (hopfully) i want to spice it up a bit and slip it into my 600lm.if i shipped you a core would you be willing to do the hrc grind.i would need a suitable piston also.if this is possible can you give me a price for labour and piston before shipping.or pm me with your thoughts.sorry for the hijack.T.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #96
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGuru View Post
I have a feeling my XL600 has some work done to it already. With 14/45 sprockets it will power up wheelies in 1-3 with my chest on the crossbar and wheelie in 4th-5th just by staying centered and pulling up some. At 270#'s I'm not a light weight either...

I was asking how a single carb head with a pumper carbs throttle response is compared to a twin carb set-ups response.

I would like to combine my XR650L's engine with my XL600R crank and kickstart. I know I loose the majic button unless I can find a GB500 crank to use. I think the XRL's primary gearing and wide ratio trans with NX gears, the 75mm crank and a 105mm/106mm piston would be great. It would have a great rod to stroke ratio and bore to stroke ratio. Do you know if this is possible???

Is the HRC grind cam availiable for the XL's different cam and head design?

I have a 94 XR650L that would be the chassis and engine doner. It has a bad 2nd gear right now. My XL600 will donate itself just to be in a better frame/chassis.

That dual carb engine with one pumper carb is sweet, but probably overkill. It looks like it has a XR650L jug on it. They probably are opening the secondary carb sooner.

I have 2 XL headers and slip ons I use.

My friend has 6 XL600R's so I wil get spare parts from him.

I like a big thumper with a light flywheel and a hefty powerband.

So are you up to building an CW649XLR engine for me?

I've done this swap except I used the XRL crank.

If you haven't already seen it, it's here. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=585568

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #97
Wattner OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Hey Dad, I have received a few PM's on carbs, and I would like for you to address your ideas and experiences. Not only for stock, but modified motors. We played with the Mikuni, but I know you prefer the KeiHin pumper.... Can you explain the benefits of aftermarket v. Stock CV?

Also, in addition to Dave's mods, are there any tricks for the stock CV carb if someone wants to retain it?

What about air filers/ exhaust and intake mods when going with a big C-dub motor?

It looks like several have been sending their motors in to you, and I wonder what additional mods you are suggesting to get the motors to breathe

I think I speak for a few, that we hang onto your words and await what you have to say with great anticipation!!!
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 AM   #98
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
sorry for not getting back to you guys I forgot about this thread, I'll pm you all..

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #99
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Any details about the roller rockers that were mentioned that you made??

Are you still making them or will you be making more? Do you grind a nice steep ramped cam to match? It would be some nice icing on the cake a big bore motor makes.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Yep I am but still need to make a cam to match the different base circle