Old 09-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
rode.adv OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Rode America

Introduction

Rode
Founded in our helmets

Synopsis. In late 2009, boy meets girl in motorcycle garage in Brooklyn, boy leaves a note in her parking spot and ask if she is interested in a ride. Girl accepts! They ride all over New England. Boy dates girl :) Summer 2010 rolls along, boy and girl take a trip to Nova Scotia exploring the roads of Cabot’s Trail and more. The massive dreadful winter of 2010/2011, boy and girl plans a trip circumnavigating USA. Putting their minds and passion together, they come up with a plan to share their passion and interest in motorcycle travelling. Thus, Rode was created…

Boy - Eugene
Girl – Agi

Boy bike - Kawasaki Versys 2011
Girl bike - BMW F650 GS 2009

Trip

We are embarking on our trip this Saturday, Sept. 10 and have broken down our trip in three legs:

NYC -> Portland, OR
Portland, OR -> Austin, TX
Austin, TX -> NYC

Due to time constraints and approved work holidays, Agi will be riding leg 1 solo and Eugene will be flying into Portland on Sept. 21 having his bike shipped and joining Agi for leg 2 and 3. Here is the preliminary map of our journey:

During the entire trip, we have three hard deadlines:

Arrive in Portland on Sept. 21
Arrive in Austin, TX Sept. 30 - attend a friends wedding during our trip, yes, we did receive approval to wear our helmets for the reception :)
Arrive back in NYC on Oct. 9 - gotta work on Monday!

We love sharing our passion of riding with friends and family and hope to share with the ADV community and more. For all those plugged into social networking, we will be posting daily updates on Facebook and Twitter:

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Rode.adv
Twitter: RodeAdv

We also plan to update this thread when possible. Please feel free to suggest routes, places to see, eat and/or sleep! This is our longest trip yet and looking forward to the adventure!

Stay tuned for videos, pictures and more!
rode.adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
rode.adv OP
n00b

The V just got loaded, off to Portland! Tomorrow the B is leaving NYC to Portland... The trip is starting!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Ride safe!

Plus a route suggestion from Las Vegas to TX: Pass through Zion NP and find Hwy 12 east. See Bryce NP and jog down to the North Rim. Back track up to Hwy 12 and pass through Boulder, UT and work your way through Capitol Reef NP east on 24 to Hanksville, UT. South on 95 across the lake and past Natural Bridges NP. Then south on 261 down the "Mokee Dugway" into Mexican Hat. Have a steak at the 'Swingin Steak Patio' (you'll think you're in Baja). Continue through Monument Valley south in 163 and maybe take the loop tour.

East on 160 to 64 all the way past Shiprock, Farmington and into the high country at Chama. Continue on 64 to Taos and visit the spectaular Taos Pueblo. From Taos southeast over the last range in hwy 518 and down into Las Vegas, NM for points east in Texas.

This route is spectacular and quiet two-lane through some of the most beautiful landscapes in America. You'll be cruising 70mph the whole way too, so it is plenty fast to make your deadlines.

You may never get through there again, so you should take it in. Maybe one day slower than the super slab.

Keep an eye on the weather in the southern Rockies of NM. You're late in the season.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
I agree with the previous post. Have ridden those roads many times. Always epic.
Also when coming into Austin check out the 3 twisted sisters area around Leakey, TX. Ranch Roads 335,336&337. Great roads.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
Pantah knows of what he speaks. Southern Utah is not to be missed! Highway 141 south of Gateway Colorado ain't too shabby either.

There is not much to Gateway except a nice car museum and resort: http://www.gatewayautomuseum.com/

Have a great ride...
Old 09-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Thumb Yes for the Colorado Plateau

+1000
If you can take the time, by all means do this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Plus a route suggestion from Las Vegas to TX: Pass through Zion NP and find Hwy 12 east. See Bryce NP and jog down to the North Rim. Back track up to Hwy 12 and pass through Boulder, UT and work your way through Capitol Reef NP east on 24 to Hanksville, UT. South on 95 across the lake and past Natural Bridges NP. Then south on 261 down the "Mokee Dugway" into Mexican Hat. Have a steak at the 'Swingin Steak Patio' (you'll think you're in Baja). Continue through Monument Valley south in 163 and maybe take the loop tour.
[snip]
You may never get through there again, so you should take it in.
Maybe one day slower than the super slab.
South of Monument Valley on US 191 is Canyon de Chelly ==> http://www.nps.gov/cach/index.htm
And if you can go by Carlsbad, in s.e. NM, see the caves ==> http://www.nps.gov/cave/index.htm
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 09:41 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #7
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Some other comment

Your map posting lacks some detail, so pardon me if these are already on your list:
Go through The Avenue of Giants in N.CA on US 101 ==> http://www.avenueofthegiants.net/
Yosemite (east of SF) then down US 395
Do you plan to go through Death Valley to Las Vegas?
Enjoy Nags Head - I used to go down there as a kid; last there in 1991.
I think it is neat that you are going across the Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel and the DelMarVa peninsula (I used to live in Dover and Baltimore).
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Armen
wrenchjockie

Oddometer: 29
Excellent!

Hey Agi,
You forgot the part about 'Girl and Boy take amazing enlightening motorcycle maintenance class in NYC and learn more than they could have dreamed, and gain a false sense of confidence that they will ride aound the country without any giref' :-0
Or, more accurately, do well in class and learn lots ;-)
But seriously, big gung-hos on the trip!
Can't wait to see pics.
Please stop by a tune session in the fall and say howdi. I'm sure you'll inspire a few of the new students to make a trip.
-Armen
Knowhow Workshop
Mo'Sickle Maintenance Classes, NYC
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
rode.adv OP
n00b

Base Camp NYC reporting in. Sorry, we haven't been able to update the trip. Agi is well on her way to Portland. She is on Day 10 of the trip and has had very little access to internet, thus she cannot make any updates to ADV rider. She just rode through Yellowstone and Beartooth Pass and approaching Missoula, MT as we speak. She has been able to make updates on our facebook page: www.facebook.com/rode.adv, so please follow us there!

I will be flying out to Portland tomorrow to start leg 2 of the trip, though I bet Agi will want to sleep in a bit while I contain my excitement :).

Thanks for following us and I hope to update this thread along the trip!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,553
status?