Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #31
Arkwright
Grumpy ole Git

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisjohn View Post
Been a bit slow with the bike lately,sorting out my garage,installed a Bridgestone miller and started my blasting cabinet.I have made the new centre stand and ordered a rear shock,a little bit of gusseting on the headstock etc,and then it is ready for blasting and painting.
That Bridgestone is a nice piece of kit, something similar must be next on the list!
R80 G/S (81)
R100 GSPD (92)
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #32
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright2007 View Post
That Bridgestone is a nice piece of kit, something similar must be next on the list!

You mean the bridgePORT. bridgestone's are tires. Bridgeports are mills.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #33
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
You mean the bridgePORT. bridgestone's are tires. Bridgeports are mills.
Sorry Freudian slip Just put new tyres on my M3,so my head is full of tyres at the moment(not literally)
lewisjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #34
Klisterman
Klisterman

Oddometer: 4
Just seen this...a question.

Regarding extending the pivot pins and brake actuator, there will surely be a significant reduction in driving spline mesh? I actually discounted this same idea for this reason and am still struggling with a way round it. (Same donor bike...same issues.) Lovely work by the way...a lesson to us all. Regards, Nick.
Klisterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #35
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klisterman View Post
Regarding extending the pivot pins and brake actuator, there will surely be a significant reduction in driving spline mesh? I actually discounted this same idea for this reason and am still struggling with a way round it. (Same donor bike...same issues.) Lovely work by the way...a lesson to us all. Regards, Nick.
I extended the splined actuating shaft by the same amount as the width of the aluminium band i fitted to the bevel box.I bought another actuating shaft on ebay,cut both ,machined a spigot on one and a hole in the other pressed the two together and then welded the two halves together.therfore the splined section protrudes the same amount as standard.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #36
Klisterman
Klisterman

Oddometer: 4
That's a great way round the problem, I must've missed it in your explanation, far safer than dishing in my opinion.

I had wondered if the RT hub was maybe narrower than that of the GS as my local wheel builder said I could expect no more than 5mm of offset safely. He also said that running the wheels out of line would cause unpredictable handling, but I see that plenty of folk do it with little if no ill effects.

I wonder what the legallities are or whether it would pass an MOT should it be noticed. I had considered widening the main frame to allow the motor and tranny to be biased one way to re-allign the wheel but it seemed an excessive soloution that would cause other woes.

Thanks for your reply. Regards, Nick.
Klisterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #37
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
I like what you've done so far ... good work.

Are you planning on using the rear shock mount that is currently on the frame? The standard RT mount? If not ... what are you going to do?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
I like what you've done so far ... good work.

Are you planning on using the rear shock mount that is currently on the frame? The standard RT mount? If not ... what are you going to do?
I am using the standard shock mount on the frame,it looks like its made of forged steel,so should be strong enough,it was only welded along the two sides so i have run a weld along the top and bottom.I have the frame fully gusseted now and am ready to take it for blasting,i am not going to powdercoat it as i am going to use the bike offroad and think a painted frame is probably more durable and can be touched up.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #39
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
What shock are you using? Or did I miss that somewhere?
igormortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #40
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
What shock are you using? Or did I miss that somewhere?
At the moment i am going to use a standard monolever GS rear shock,once i have the bike finished and mot`d i will look at an upgrade.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #41
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

latest update

Got a week off so am able to spend a few uninterrupted hours on my project,i have mounted the headlight after a few hours deliberating on the correct height to satisfy the asthetics and the mot tester,i mocked up the seat using the base i made from fibre glass and seat foam from an old honda 400/4,i then gaffer taped a dummy cover to get a feel of the seat height and final shape of the foam.All the plastics are from the UFO vintage range,very well made and quite reasonable.A few more mounting brackets to be made and then off to the blaster and powder coater,i am thinking that a red frame would compliment the plastics quite nicely.i am trying to upload my photos on to an album,so will post the links asap
Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #42
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
latest update

Got a week off so am able to spend a few uninterrupted hours on my project,i have mounted the headlight after a few hours deliberating on the correct height to satisfy the asthetics and the mot tester,i mocked up the seat using the base i made from fibre glass and seat foam from an old honda 400/4,i then gaffer taped a dummy cover to get a feel of the seat height and final shape of the foam.All the plastics are from the UFO vintage range,very well made and quite reasonable.A few more mounting brackets to be made and then off to the blaster and powder coater,i am thinking that a red frame would compliment the plastics quite nicely.i am trying to upload my photos on to an album,so will post the links asap
Old 04-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #43
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 530
She is starting to look quite pretty light and classic very nice lines - I like her.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #44
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

Ltest update

I haven`t done a lot to the bike lately,i have been busy sorting out my workshop,i now have a 16cfm industrial compressor to run my sandblaster.I had been thinking of a bike lift for a few months,but didn`t fancy another chinese cheapy(had one but sold it because it was so flimsy)I had always fancied the Handy pneumatic lifts after seeing them in the NEC Bike show about five years ago,they were about 750.00i was looking on ebay when i spotted one with no reserve,won it for 330.00,BARGAIN.i now have the bike on it, as rigid as having it on the floorI have also installed my lathe,Colchester Student.Next on the shopping list is a Tig welder.Almost finished the dry build of the bike,a few brackets etc to finish off then frame will be sprayed.I will post some photos when i work out how to include the link in my posts.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #45
lewisjohn OP
Adventurer

Quote:
I haven`t done a lot to the bike lately,i have been busy sorting out my workshop,i now have a 16cfm industrial compressor to run my sandblaster.I had been thinking of a bike lift for a few months,but didn`t fancy another chinese cheapy(had one but sold it because it was so flimsy)I had always fancied the Handy pneumatic lifts after seeing them in the NEC Bike show about five years ago,they were about 750.00i was looking on ebay when i spotted one with no reserve,won it for 330.00,BARGAIN.i now have the bike on it, as rigid as having it on the floorI have also installed my lathe,Colchester Student.Next on the shopping list is a Tig welder.Almost finished the dry build of the bike,a few brackets etc to finish off then frame will be sprayed.I will post some photos when i work out how to include the link in my posts.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78681245@N05/8127892857/http:http://www.flickr.com/photos/78681245@N05/8127888117///www.flickr.com/photos/78681245@N05/8127890283/