Oddometer: 228
Fantastic pics!
Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #62
OnOff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
Dogs

And how does an Aussie Heeler and a pack of bear hunting hounds enter into a dual sport ride in Moab

Stay tuned for more

Coming back from Gemini Bridge?

OnOff screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 08:10 AM
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #63
OnOff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Chicken Corners rain... Arches

We decided to head to Chicken Corners and the weather started to look poor. Dark DARK clouds. Several miles into the ride we were on the very top of a mountain when it started to DUMP and VERY STRONG winds were blowing rain sideways. Lightning was also in the area and we were a definite high point on the mountain. The 3 amigos, Skinny Jay, Junior and Patrick felt it might pass and they decided to head into the storm while myself and Mike backtracked off the mountain. LOTS of dumping rain which eventually DID cease. At this point, they went on to ride Chicken Corners while Mike and I chickened out and went for rides elsewhere! We wound up grabbing a bite to eat and heading to Arches. Its all good and we all had great rides. The only difference was Junior Wrecked his bike on a jump but more on that later!

Pretty much putting away cameras, and tighting up gear to ride into the rain. Rain gear coming on before getting soaked...

Mike and I met up with Todd, and we all went to Arches. Pretty much a cruise through the park with a few stops at the major arches. The highlight of which was Devils Garden. The rain we had earlier made the colors POP in the desert and flowers started blooming and the sage was poppin with color. It was a nice change of pace to just cruise around and go for a walk.

Lots of Balancing Rocks and Arches and stuff

A bunch of Germans on a rent a hog tour They all appeared to be having fun!

Please excuse the moving picture landscapes on some of these. It was ride and shoot time...

Devils Garden was well worth the walk...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Garden

Pete (On Off)

ATGATT even when viewing arches. This arch had a 180 ton slab of rock come crashing down from the underside on Sept 1, 1991!

Todd...

Mike...

Next up a solo ride through La Sal Mountain Loop during a snow squall...

OnOff screwed with this post 11-02-2011 at 08:31 AM
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #64
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
This has been a charming trip report.

A few thoughts for anyone headed there...

Moab is great, but pick your times. Summer is NOT the time to go, either Spring or Fall is wise.

All styles of riding is easily supported in this area. There is enough tarmac to show you everything you want to see. Some of the extreme guys find they can get their butts kicked in just a few short hours if they go the right way, and the noobs can spend days without having a problem at all.

Do your research.

MOST if not all of the bike places, cycle places, and jeep rental places have info on trails of all sorts and they will give you photo copies of the details for free.

Come out here, and really enjoy!

By the way, if Moab is amazing to you flat landers then you have a lot of time you need to spend out here. Montana, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada, and even parts of California, have as much open space and as many views. Come spend some time out here, out of the city!

Regards,

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #65
OnOff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Ford Prefect...

Yours is good traveling advice and exactly why I just did a trip crossing the country. I went to most of the states you mentioned and loved it. That was in the end of September...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734088

I'd like to mention you see some really NICE 4x4 rigs in Moab and when you fill up in town, there is a steady stream of Jeeps tankin up. Some are rugged small rigs riding on the backs of trailers to true offroad destinations and others are street legal...

We as a group had gathered in town to tank up the bikes and it started to dump rain. Some of the guys wanted to go back to Chicken corners to finish up a ride that was stopped short by a rock blowing through Juniors skidplate and thereby cracking his engine! Long story short, boys will be boys and Patrick, Jay and Junior found a nice jump when they were out on Chicken Corners. Higher and higher they jumped until a large sharp rock and a hard landing put the Kabash on the fun. They towed for a bit and then caught a ride in the back of a pickup truck all the way back to camp. By the next day he had cleaned it up and JB welded it and IT HELD OIL!!! DAMN riders are a resourceful bunch or hooligans.
While Patrick, Jay and Junior headed back to Chicken Corners in the pouring rain, I decided to head solo to a different route where I had not been. The cold driving rain pretty much sucked but it still beat being at work! The La Sal Mountain Loop seemed like a good place to explore and life was good. There was snow in the La Sal Mountains and as I hit the 8000+ ft level it started to snow. The bulge in my jersey was my Subway Sub. My lunch box was soaked and not a good place for food at that point so in my waterproof liner it went. The cold temps kept it cool though I look like I was sportin a beer gut!

There were quite a few free range cattle in some of these areas...

Scenic vistas were abundant in this country...

It rained off and on, some sleet and snow at higher elevations.

In some areas I was truly IN the clouds.

Some nice twisties

A huge fire had burned through this valley in the past.

Heading back home and the Cougar Canyon Ranch was close to our cabin...
Very appropriate with the # of Mountain Lion tracks I saw in that area. Utah is truly home to some of the largest mountain lions in the USA.

When it was sleeting I sought refuge in a few small caves. Hmmm in hindsight I'm glad no lions had the same idea

That Utah dirt turns to gumbo which sticks like glue when it rains...

By the time I got back to the cabin I was a wet muddy mess but a happy camper.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #66
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,042
On/off great report. What type of windshield is that you have?
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #67
OnOff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bonehead View Post
On/off great report. What type of windshield is that you have?
National Cycle N2595 Deflector Shield DX
Rake angle adjust and remove minus tools. Thumbscrew wheels allow you to put on or off in under 10 seconds. Absolutely great for long distance riding.

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...el=hd%2d090%22
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #68
OnOff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lions and Bears OH MY!

There is no doubt there is a high population of both mountain lions and bears in some of these areas. I look for tracks everywhere I go and I found MANY sets of tracks. On the last day I was cruisin around for one last ride in the rain and within a couple hundred yards of each other, I found FRESH large mountain lion tracks as well as some VERY large bear tracks. At one point less than a mile for the cutoff to our cabin a pile of trucks with dogs came boiling to a stop on a fresh set of bear tracks. It was spring bear season and the local outfitters were on a hot trail. I got to watch them release the dogs and off they went. They stopped at the fresh cat tracks, and went on to find the bear tracks a short stop down the road.

I want to give a big thanks to the caretaker of the cabin. She has lived OFF THE GRID, minus plumbing, electricity, etc for quite some time. She lives in walking distance to the cabin and helps take care of the place. She was helpful for explaining the systems at the cabin and even hand carried in loads of wood for our fire! She has a pretty neat Aussie heeler you have seen throughout this report...

I guess a ride report to Moab would not be complete without some Slickrock shots with the bike in it! Slickrock when dry offers incredible traction and you can climb pitches you would fail in the dirt. The Jeep and Hummer guys will air down, carefully line up their tires and inch up and down these things and its fun to watch. The bikes just do it so much easier IMHO but you do have to be a bit careful when passing them or you fall off a sheer drop! There was a stripped out jeep laying in the base of one of these sections. The driver had rolled it and they couldnt get it out!

I spooned on a new set of 606s before the trip and they worked well. My Mefo Explorers would probably have worked well in all but the deep sand which was the exception to the rule in Moab. Most places had pretty decent traction.

On the way home, I caught a couple shuttle rides all the way to Salt Lake City in part to see some of that part of the country and in part to visit another friend who lives in West Bountiful. I went through some truly pretty country...

Moab gets into your blood in short order. We covered a LOT of ground in a week and pretty much rode non stop most of the day. I still feel like there was a LOT we never saw and much I would still like to see. You could probably ride these areas for years and not see all of it. Returning to Moab is HIGH on my bucket list.

Thumbs up to the great guys I rode with this week...

Skinny Jay our fearless planner and leader. He spent a LOT of time and effort planning this trip and is a standup rider and human being! Thanks Jay!

Junior is the mechanical wizard who is also good at breaking bikes! One set of wheel bearings and a hole punched through a skid plate and into an engine. He kept plugging along and is a STRONG rider.

This was the first time I got to ride with Mike and hopefully not the last. I enjoyed our side trip to Arches and our stormy ride off Chicken Corners.

Likewise this was the first time I had ridden with Todd and he brought both humor and some sense to our group of hooligans. I hope to see you on a PA to NC dirt ride!

Patrick the stormtrooper is a STRONG rider as well. Nothing scares this guy, and as a pilot he loves to ride at speed regardless of mud, rocks, storms or whatever. I learned a lot just watching you and your tracks! When in doubt, twist that throttle and STAY HYDRATED!

OnOff screwed with this post 11-04-2011 at 08:30 AM
Old 11-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #69
pdxbrit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Nice report. Well done!

Track me on my Delorme Inreach SE

pdxbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:10 AM   #70
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,408
Very well done indeed, sorry to see it end. Thank you for the fantastic pictures however, they convinced me this is somewhere I have to go!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #71
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Very cool report, thanks!

Some local guys are planning a Spring 2012 Moab trip and invited me along..... Your report and pictures have got my in high gear to go now!
Old 11-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #72
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOff View Post
Forgive me if sage and mountains are boring to the guys who LIVE there! grin as an east coaster I fell in love with the mountains, wide open spaces and lack of humans. You could drive for hours and not see another person.
No apology necessary! Thanks for reminding me of why I live in the West (can't imagine enduring 38 hours in a truck to get here). This stuff is my "backyard", but I never ever tire of it. Absolutely nothing like hopping on my bike and roaming wild and free across the mountains and deserts of Utah and surrounding States. Pure therapy for me. I love the pics and report.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #73
mknight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Just finished the report. Excellent photos and you really captured the essence of how great this area is and can be enjoyed on a motorcycle.

I'd like to make a plea for anyone (worldwide) who has ever ridden in Moab, plans to ride in Moab, wishes their kids can ride in Moab, or dreams of someday riding in Moab (or anywhere in Utah), to throw a few bucks the way of USA-All (Utah Shared Access Alliance).

http://www.usaall.org/

You have no idea how much of a fight it is to keep these areas open and how much we have lost in the last few years.

For the price of one meal, you can do your small part in helping an incredible grass-roots organization that is focused on Utah OHV opportunities. There are a lot of other good organizations out there such as the Blue Ribbon Coalition, AMA, etc., but USA-ALL is targeted on Utah. These guys do amazing things with a shoestring budget. You need to also realize there are organizations (specifically SUWA (Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance)) who are well-funded by naive and radical armchair environmentalists from all over the country, and their sole purpose in life is to shut down each and every trail in Utah and lock it up in Wilderness.

Rant over.....back to the awesome pictures and ride report!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:34 AM   #74
OnOff OP
Beastly Adventurer

Your advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
Just finished the report. Excellent photos and you really captured the essence of how great this area is and can be enjoyed on a motorcycle.

I'd like to make a plea for anyone (worldwide) who has ever ridden in Moab, plans to ride in Moab, wishes their kids can ride in Moab, or dreams of someday riding in Moab (or anywhere in Utah), to throw a few bucks the way of USA-All (Utah Shared Access Alliance).

http://www.usaall.org/

You have no idea how much of a fight it is to keep these areas open and how much we have lost in the last few years.

For the price of one meal, you can do your small part in helping an incredible grass-roots organization that is focused on Utah OHV opportunities. There are a lot of other good organizations out there such as the Blue Ribbon Coalition, AMA, etc., but USA-ALL is targeted on Utah. These guys do amazing things with a shoestring budget. You need to also realize there are organizations (specifically SUWA (Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance)) who are well-funded by naive and radical armchair environmentalists from all over the country, and their sole purpose in life is to shut down each and every trail in Utah and lock it up in Wilderness.

Rant over.....back to the awesome pictures and ride report!
I had the opportunity to speak with a handful of Utah residents who echo'd your sentiments on this to a T. They said many trails have already been closed in UT and more are slated for shutdown. This is a worthwhile donation for a great cause. If we dont fight back Utah will wind up like Maryland. We just had our LAST public trails in the entire state shut down by the gubmint. Nice to know the riders who pay our state and federal taxes which go into the park systems mean nothing when it comes to being a user of that park system.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #75
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Yeah, one of the reason I love (and miss) Colorado so much is because they have SO SO many trails! It is crazy, and you could never ride them all if you tried. (Seriously)

The really sad thing is that Utah HAD just as many trials, but Clinton shut down more than half of them, and the new administration is trying to shut down even more of them. Now that is not meant to be a slight on any administration, just a good way to offer a time line.

Wow I sound like I am on my soap box too.

Superb ride report OnOff, thanks much for sharing! I have been wondering what would be good tires for Moab, since it is time for a new tire and time for a new trip back to Moab.)

Thanks a lot!

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote