Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
Pray4Snow
Saddle Monkey

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiano View Post

oh and by the way. this is the canadian border at stewart BC..
fairly tiny and insignificant building..

cheers!
... with a big f-ing stop-sign on it. Good thing it was a building, and not a logging truck at a crossroads.
Glad you were safe, and only $500 lighter.

On a lighter note, what type of video camera were you using? I couldn't help but notice your narrative during the Whittier Tunnel was exceptionally clear ... almost no wind noise!
P4S
Old 12-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #32
Damiano OP
damianomigani

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastvaleska View Post
Sweet post man; sounds like an epic adventure. What kind of camera are you using? I intend on making a similar route trip this Summer. Too bad you missed out on the San Juan Islands. Some great couchsurfers out that way. I figure i'll take ferry out of Bellingham to Hains. Would you make this trip again? Do you suggest it? Did you have a book of preference on this trip?
Thanks! glad you liked it!
the camera was a 7D with a bag full of lenses..
there is only one road from prince george up to alaska, and i didn't want to drive it twice. I figured I could see the coast going up and the tarmac going down. alaska highway ferry system had a deal going on, that it would charge only for the vehicle and free passenger until the end of April, so I saved about 300$ on my way up. plus the inside passage is magic, so very pretty. i would definitely recommend it.
one thing i regretted was missing Prudhoe bay, but unfortunately the road was closed that time of the year and i wouldn't have made it safely anyway with my bike (she's so scared of gravel :)
favourite book? in general or on Alaska? well all the travel info I needed was on the ebooks of Bells'Alaska on my iPhone. and I had couple of Jeremy Clarksons books to keep me company. plus a bunch of Audiobooks, brilliant accompaniment while riding for many hours.

Cheers,
Damiano
Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #33
Arek Kontrol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Oh man, I love those photos so much!

I live more in 5 minutes on my motorcycle than some people live in a lifetime...
Arek Kontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #34
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Great report! I'm doing Dawson City, Top of the World and Tok to Delta Junction next June, taking my Wee Strom but I also have an FJR and I applaud you for taking the Feejer. What great bikes they are and YES is very comforting (though rarely needed!)

McRuss screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 11:52 AM
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #35
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
outstanding report!

I have to say that you are the man for riding in Alaska and the Yukon in April! It is a wonder you didn't get snowed on, as I have been snowed on in July more than once. I remember getting about six inches of snow in Anchorage a couple years ago in April, you just can never be too careful. As for the correction the person made about that not being a deer and not having deer that far North. Yes, it is a Caribou in the picture, and yes they do have deer this far North. There are lots of Reindeer on farms, and there are also Sitka Deer (just not in that area). Also, technically, Caribou, Elk, and Moose are also members of the deer family.
I will tell you this also Sir, the reason you didn't see any bears while riding through the Yukon and in Parts of Alaska, is because they won't come out of hibernation until the ground starts to thaw. They have to have a food source to sustain them. Three quarters of their food comes from vegetation. Although not uncommon to see a bear wonder out of hibernation before the lakes thaw, the snow melts or grass is growing, they usually quickly go back into hibernation. They have been seen in the dead of winter wondering around, though very rarely. Bottom line, in the Yukon or parts of Alaska (like Denali or Tok) chances of encountering a bear that early are slim to none.
I have just got to get back up there, Florida is killing me!
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #36
chelo5sur
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Very cool , I m enjoying your pics
chelo5sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
Phone Guy
Oddometer: 22,626

Oddometer: 640
I rode to Hyder earlier this month.... actually I think I was there on July 30. They are doing road construction in Hyder getting ready to lay blacktop. The signs in the link you posted at the border must have been new. I knew from reading other posts that I would have to go through Canadian Customs to go back out but it's really a waste of time. Sorry they scammed $500 out of you. When I went through they actually asked me where I was coming from. I said "really? There is only one place I could come from and I waved to you a hour ago on my way in." I told her that I rode up from Redding California and would be out of Canada in 2 days. I ate lunch at the hotel in Stewart and left at 3:PM and rode to Vanderhoof where I started from in the morning. I rode 834 miles that day. That border crossing is a big joke.

Phone Guy screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 09:59 AM Reason: corrected date
Phone Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #38
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Super RR

This was really extra exciting not knowing if you would be snowed in any minute! It made me feel the cold at times, even sitting in my recliner with my heating pad. I couldn't stop reading until it was over and considering some of those loooooong days that you rode, it really went by super fast. The photos were super-great showing many things that I haven't seen before. Anyway, thanks much for taking the time to do this ride report.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #39
Damiano OP
damianomigani

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
This was really extra exciting not knowing if you would be snowed in any minute! It made me feel the cold at times, even sitting in my recliner with my heating pad. I couldn't stop reading until it was over and considering some of those loooooong days that you rode, it really went by super fast. The photos were super-great showing many things that I haven't seen before. Anyway, thanks much for taking the time to do this ride report.

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Thank You for reading it. Hope to have the chance to go back there on two wheels, but now I just moved to the UK, it'll be much harder.
Ride on