User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Wirespokes OP
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,662
Brake fluid resistant paint?

Do any of you have a tried and true formula for brake fluid resistant paint? I'm especially thinking of the under tank master cylinder and the frame tube it's clamped to. I know there's caliper paint, but I've heard it's also affected by brake fluid.

I've tried heavy duty frame paint from napa with a coat of clear and it still wrinkles up. I've used spray Epoxy and that doesn't do any better.

Maybe some real automotive two component paint? Urethane? Imron? Polane? Or how about powder coating? Is there anything impervious to brake fluid?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,906
Fired enamel? As in cloissone?

AFAIK, nothing is impervious to brake fluid. But, as always,

--Bill
Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Do any of you have a tried and true formula for brake fluid resistant paint? I'm especially thinking of the under tank master cylinder and the frame tube it's clamped to. I know there's caliper paint, but I've heard it's also affected by brake fluid.

I've tried heavy duty frame paint from napa with a coat of clear and it still wrinkles up. I've used spray Epoxy and that doesn't do any better.

Maybe some real automotive two component paint? Urethane? Imron? Polane? Or how about powder coating? Is there anything impervious to brake fluid?
Brake fluid containers are impervious, as is the printing on them and many other rubbers and resins. But it will strip a two part urethane. A two part epoxy might be resistant. But the coverage must be perfect. one pinhole and the rust will spread underneath. I mix small quantities of epoxy glue in the depressions in the bottom of PBR cans. You could try that. Then flood with brake fluid and let it sit.

You might consider either GripGaurd (in a spray) or Plastidip (in a can, brush it). Easy enough to test and both are handy for other things. Possibly spray truck bed liner. Possibly spray under coating. Almost certainly Arborists tar--but very messy. Powder coating worth testing, and possible it could be spot applied and heat gunned.

I always just used ordinary black rustoleum, in a can and brushed. primer was cold galvanizing compound. Once the enamel has dried it gets cured with a heat gun then coated with either vaseline or cosmoline (CRC makes one brand, either spray or jug. Another handy thing to have around). The grease keeps the stuff off the paint. Gets redone every so often (not removed, more added).

The advantage of the location is you don't see it, so all sorts of otherwise unsightly things may work.

Same solutions for coating the MC itself.

If you have a pot that has a bunch of baked on oil, see what brake fluid does to that. it's a coating I've been playing with for fasteners. Very tough and corrosion resistant, though slippery. Linseed oil is the ticket. You can heat it or just let it dry. Add Japan Drier to speed things up. Classic anti-corrosion coating for metal.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Fired enamel? As in cloissone?

AFAIK, nothing is impervious to brake fluid. But, as always,

--Bill
If you have the universal solvent, what do you keep it in?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #5
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal

Oddometer: 1,960
What about por15? Colour might be a problem?
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 4,906
Hmmm, or the Caswell Epoxy tank liner. I have some loose chips of the stuff, let me try a test soak in DOT3.

--Bill
Old 06-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
How about changing the brake fluid? I've spilled plenty of DOT 4 on painted plastic and metal and if you wipe it up it doesn't seem to have any effect. If it's all over the engine etc., hose it off as well to make sure it doesn't sit in places you can't see or get to. The only time I've seen it screw anything up is on black plastic because I forgot it had dripped on it. But, using a mix of 50/50 paint thinner and boiled linseed oil brought the plastic back. Tho it did take several applications.

DOT 4 is compatible with DOT 3.

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,198
You could use some brake caliper paint. There are a few different brands out there.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 841
Eastwood sells a chassis paint that they claim is brake fluid resistant: http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chas...inish-set.html

And VHT high temperature caliper paint some say is brake fluid resistant: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/paint/pt131.htm

I used the VTH caliper paint for my rebuild MC and on the frame under the MC; the label says drum and rotor chemical resistant. It is better than ordinary paint, but will come off if the MC leaks.

My MC seeped some brake fluid which took off part of the paint. My fix was spraying some LPS 3 rust inhibitor on the MC and frame area. YMMV.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #10
Ron Bernert
hiding in plain sight

Oddometer: 189
Try switching to a synthetic DOT3/4 fluid, like the one from Valvoline? I've been using it for the past few years on customer cars with good results. It's not as hydroscopic as regular brake fluid, you can drain and fill, unlike dealing with DOT5. The only downside is a slightly lower boiling point, but unless you're racing your bike will never be an issue.

It's safe for painted surfaces.

'77 BMW R100RS euro, '95 BMW R1100GS, '71 BMW R75/5 SWB, '68 BMW R60/2 (in boxes), '82 Suzuki GS450, '98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Ron Bernert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
majorpayne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I'm not familiar with any paint that is....except for maybe some super expensive industrial grade stuff. Which would likely be super expensive and probably tough to get.

I do think powdercoating is resistant though. You won't be able to do little sections of frame however. Small parts and brackets, yes.
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Bernert View Post
Try switching to a synthetic DOT3/4 fluid, like the one from Valvoline?

It's safe for painted surfaces.
I have to disagree with the paint damage. FWIW, here is a link to a tech article on brake fluids: http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphi...uid/page1.html

My understanding is the 'synthetic' label is for marketing and all Dot 4 brake fluid is compatible with Dot 3. So labeling the fluid 'synthetic Dot4/Dot3' is another way of saying 'Dot4'. FWIW, I use the Valvoline brake fluid too.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Why not just address the problem that allows the brake fluid to escape and destroy the paint?
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 393
my undertank MC leaked like a champ all over my new powder coated frame and there didn't seem to be ANY damage... ymmv
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #15
Wirespokes OP
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtg View Post
Why not just address the problem that allows the brake fluid to escape and destroy the paint?
True. However...

When the under tank cylinder decides to leak, I'm usually not there to discover it till it's made a mess.

This time it's a friend's 78 R100/7, and it's only been a year or two (3?) since we worked on it. Sits a lot. Had to get painted again, along with the frame underneath. That's what prompted my original question.

So I thought I'd see what experience you guys had with this issue. A lot of great responses! Thanks!