Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,955
Yes you have a problem. The good news is that you have completed the first step of our 10 step program for BMWOCD. We are currently running a special, and you can jump right to the 10th step, by simply replying with your address and leave all the titles on the seats of the bikes. We will gladly send someone to dispose of the problems for you.

A Prince from Nigeria will be contacting you shortly to congratulate you on the successful completion of the program!
Beater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I haven't messed with the bike much since getting it, but the other day I spent an hour or so and got it running.

BUT... It popped a fuse and died. Now, every time I turn the key on, it pops the top (15, I think) fuse. I blew through four at one sitting, troubleshooting it. I'd rather not keep throwing my money away, so if anyone has a suggestion of where to look first, I'm all ears!
So, I had the bike running for about 2 seconds, then that fuse popped.

I figured it was a short somewhere, so yesterday I set about hunting down the problem, forgetting my most important hard-earned motto.. It's always the battery. I switched out the ignition switch, starter relay, etc.. no difference. I cleaned up some wiring and kept trying. Well, I popped a couple fuses before I decided to swap out one crappy battery for another and... it worked! It was the battery all along. I guess there was a short somewhere inside it.

So, I got the bike (actually) running last night.

If the plate is any indication, it hasn't seen the light of day in 22 years. I'll get some pictures up in a day or two.

Party on..

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #18
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Congrats on the latest running '74. I hope to attend the rally at which you have all your BMWs in attendance--driven to the party by 5 or 6 of your friends. Heck, for that mule train I volunteer to be one of your friends.

Bring spare parts galore.

Onnnn Mule!

(I skipped '74. Got a '56 R50, 70/71/73 Hondas, '75 /6, '77 /7, and so on. Good luck to you finding your R90S)
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
I haven't messed with the bike much since getting it, but the other day I spent an hour or so and got it running.

BUT... It popped a fuse and died. Now, every time I turn the key on, it pops the top (15, I think) fuse. I blew through four at one sitting, troubleshooting it. I'd rather not keep throwing my money away, so if anyone has a suggestion of where to look first, I'm all ears!
I can't tell you where the short is but I can help you stop blowing fuses and find the short.
Make yourself a short finder by attaching a couple of wires, with alligator clips on the end, to the cheapest sealed beam you can find, or any lightbulb for that matter. Clip the wires to either side of the fuse holder and the lightbulb will light up because you have power coming in on one side and the short is your ground path to complete the circuit. Now disconnect one circuit at a time until the bulb goes out, that's the cicuit with the short to ground. Find the reason, fix it and install your last fuse.
Hope this made sense, if it didn't let me know.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #20
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless View Post
Congrats on the latest running '74. I hope to attend the rally at which you have all your BMWs in attendance--driven to the party by 5 or 6 of your friends. Heck, for that mule train I volunteer to be one of your friends.
Hey, that sounds like fun. That's what this whole thing is about, having motorcycle fun and making motorcycle friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
I can't tell you where the short is but I can help you stop blowing fuses and find the short.
Make yourself a short finder by attaching a couple of wires, with alligator clips on the end, to the cheapest sealed beam you can find, or any lightbulb for that matter. Clip the wires to either side of the fuse holder and the lightbulb will light up because you have power coming in on one side and the short is your ground path to complete the circuit. Now disconnect one circuit at a time until the bulb goes out, that's the cicuit with the short to ground. Find the reason, fix it and install your last fuse.
Hope this made sense, if it didn't let me know.
Yeah, that one day I popped all those fuses and gave up. Every time, I thought I had it right but it beat me.

My post from earlier today explains that last night I found out it was the crappy battery I had (some old derelict from older projects). I was about to wire up my own test light situation like you described.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
georgej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Congratulations on the R60,I like those.I have two 1978's myself an R80 and an R100RS.Looks like I got some catching up to do.I have the sickness.I also enjoy reading your posts on your rebuilds.Very informative and entertaining.Keep up the good work.
georgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
skipn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
I just brought my barn find home to here in NE Missouri-- a '77 R75/7-- so I will be watching this thread for some insight.

It's my first attempt at bringing an airhead back to life.
skipn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #23
Kurt V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipn View Post
I just brought my barn find home to here in NE Missouri-- a '77 R75/7-- so I will be watching this thread for some insight.

It's my first attempt at bringing an airhead back to life.
Where you located?
1976 Honda CB400F Original Survivor
1973 Honda CL350
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
skipn
Gnarly Adventurer

Near Hannibal, MO.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #25
crazydrummerdude OP
Wacky Bongo Boy

Quote:
Near Hannibal, MO.
That's not too far away. If you ever need an extra set of hands to wrench, let me know.

Also, I'm not sure how much insight I'll offer in this thread. I'm already familiar with resurrecting an airhead. The main piece of advice I can give; it's just an engine and some steel, don't be afraid to tear it apart.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #26
skipn
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice to know. Thanks for the offer, I'll probably be taking you up on that.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:48 AM   #27
Kurt V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Nice to know. Thanks for the offer, I'll probably be taking you up on that.
And don't forget to join the Airheads group!
1976 Honda CB400F Original Survivor
1973 Honda CL350
Kurt V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #28
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,216
Ha, I love it. The 1974 Airhead. By many accounts the worst most troublesome beast of the lot. A mismatch of various outdated parts supplanted by parts that never met design objectives and were replaced the very next year. The epitome of the Rubber Cow experience.

My favorite Airhead of all time. Wish I had one.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #29
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
Ha, I love it. The 1974 Airhead. By many accounts the worst most troublesome beast of the lot. A mismatch of various outdated parts supplanted by parts that never met design objectives and were replaced the very next year. The epitome of the Rubber Cow experience.

My favorite Airhead of all time. Wish I had one.
The Beemer version of the Edsel; the lonly puppy that followed me home; the fiver I gave to the semitalented busker; the bashful child who won my heart.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,815
Yeah, the 74...

I had a 74 R90, fixed it up and sold it to a girl who rode it HARD for at least ten years. Just a month ago she rode it fifteen or twenty miles with the oil light on till it finally seized up.

I'm working on another friend's 74 R90 upgrading to dual discs - it's been his daily rider for many years now.

And I've got several friends with really nice 74 90Ss that get ridden all the time.

The 74s have a bad rep, but from my personal experience they do just fine!