Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #976
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Hate to say this but NO American will ever win the race. ASO don't run a fair game as has been proven year after year and time and time again. I'll address this in the book as I haven't quite figured out how to express this situation yet. I'm not knoicking the race as for 85 percent of the competitors it is an awesome race and the ASO run a top notch event. But for those fighting for a podium finish...well....
Ted, for years, I agreed with you. I was so closely involved in trying to get an American on the podium that I struggled with this issue daily. But, now I am not so sure that this is true.

Remember that the ASO is a race promoter nominally held to FIM/FIA rules, but with an added layer of rules and enforcement themselves. Follow the money and you will see the motivations of the various parties. During the event, the FIM is present, but the ASO calls the shots and uses the FIM as a "bad guy" whenever convenient. Let's talk before you finish that chapter. (Someday, I'll finish my book, which will be the "Moby Dick" of privateer rally racing. I'm sure there will be a chapter or two about this.)
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #977
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Well that's a wrap for today, time to get some shut eye

We're mostly packed up and tomorrow promises to be a cool day, assuming no mishaps tomorrow we'll be on the podium early afternoon and then off to a hotel for a long overdue hot shower, bed, air conditioning, a meal that we can pick ( freaking seafood again tonight which means bread and cheese for me ), and if all goes well no more dust for a few months until the snow melts in Canada

Wow, what an experience

Looking forward to sharing it with everyone via the book. Many gigs of photos to sort through and many pages of notes.

I came here with some pre conceived ideas of what this would be like and in many, many ways it has far surpassed those expectations....BIG TIME

A better group of people I couldn't have dreamed of sharing this with

Thanks for following along and I hope you enjoyed the reports from the bivouac and hope you'll enjoy what I plan to put together in the form of a book that will share my experience down here in South America with the Rally Pan Am team.

Adios amigos
Thanks for sharing the ride !
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #978
Region Riley
rally kit widow

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:

We're mostly packed up and tomorrow promises to be a cool day, assuming no mishaps tomorrow we'll be on the podium early afternoon and then off to a hotel for a long overdue hot shower, bed, air conditioning, a meal that we can pick ( freaking seafood again tonight which means bread and cheese for me ), and if all goes well no more dust for a few months until the snow melts in Canada

Wow, what an experience

Looking forward to sharing it with everyone via the book. Many gigs of photos to sort through and many pages of notes.

I came here with some pre conceived ideas of what this would be like and in many, many ways it has far surpassed those expectations....BIG TIME

Thanks for following along and I hope you enjoyed the reports from the bivouac and hope you'll enjoy what I plan to put together in the form of a book that will share my experience down here in South America with the Rally Pan Am team.

Adios amigos
Thanks for taking us along on the ride Ted! And many thanks for taking good care of my friend Ned (c.vestal said you were a big help and a great worker bee )

Can't wait for the book!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #979
Trialsguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Looks like there may be a need to start massing a fund to build a rally- bus for 2013. We're all going to want to 'do a Ted' and be a large minder group traveling from bivy to bivy supporting any North American rider making the heroic effort .
Trialsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:53 PM   #980
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:

Wow, what an experience

Adios amigos
Hope to hear a bit more from you tomorrow Ted, but in any case thanks for the great job sharing the bivvy with us! As close to being there as we could hope for in F5land.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #981
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Nothing but praise for your and RPAs efforts this year Ted.

Between your running commentary and Ned's Rally RAIDio calls, us F5ers have been getting a great inside look at the Dakar.

Thanks soooooo very much for the ride. Now bring our only American rider safely to Lima.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE

Tarheel Wheeler screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 07:14 AM
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #982
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Rally Bus 2013- let's do it.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #983
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:

Adios amigos

Looking forward to the book....and I add my thanks for your posts!

Don
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #984
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post

Maybe we could get one of the somewhat "used" Kamaz Dakar race trucks from the Russians and convert it, no?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #985
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,057
Be safe tomorrow, get home safe,
Big thanks for your posts, Naiomi has been following along with me watching you. Were proud to say your a fellow Canuck... Great job

p.s its -21 not including wind chill..its fucking cold here!!!
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #986
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #987
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
There's gonna be a few people out there with some beer up their noses after seeing that photo, rotfl!
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #988
BC61
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Ted,
Do you know when the first bikes are expected to roll into Lima and over the podium? Julie and I want to be there but don't want to be there at the crack of dawn if nothing is happening until the afternoon. Does Robb have the info I his daily time schedule?
Thanks,
Bill

My experience at Dakar 2012 www.bc2dakar.com
BC61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:09 PM   #989
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by WONB2K View Post
Here you go...

My heroes of the Dakar, Jutta and Patsy!
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #990
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Maybe we have RG do a little work on it and get this