User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,677
Stripped threads on shaft drain.

Hey all, the threads on my drive shaft drain just gave in. I've red loctited the plug in and after 2 weeks, no fluid has leaked. My question is how much would one expect to pay a shop to timesert/coil this drain? I was quoted 350 bucks today and that seems insane to me. Or am I insane? I know I don't really need to worry for another 7k miles, but I hate knowing it's stripped. tia.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,870
Jenna, that seems a little outrageous to me, as well.

I'm pretty scrupulous about some types of repairs, but given the nature of the driveshaft oil setup and the small quantities involved, I'd give serious thought to doing something like this at the next service interval: Remove the plug (use at least 3-400F heat to keep the red Loctite from pulling out more threads). Drill and tap it on the bench to fit a smaller bolt or capscrew and matching crush washer. Like the size of a fork leg drain screw on the stock ST forks. Clean the drain hole absolutely oil free (may require pulling the swingarm and final drive as a unit to invert them, but maybe not). Install the drain plug with JB Weld. Use the new smaller drain bolt.

Or even quicker would be to find a drain bolt repair kit with whatever size would be the next oversize for the drain plug threads. Auto parts stores usually have a selection. The oversize bolts are self tapping and have the small inner drain bolt already fitted.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,904
I would think that shouldnt be more than an hour's work, so like maybe $75 or so... Its not even a pressurized plug.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

It's such a bummer. I always ride a hour and a half to Nathan's place, thought I'd throw one of my local shops a bone, but almost choked when they gave me the price. Does anyone know the size and length of the plug? It isn't listed on Max's fische, just the final drain plug?

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 11-01-2011 at 03:22 PM
Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
JZed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Drain Plug Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
It's such a bummer. I always ride a hour and a half to Nathan's place, thought I'd throw one of my local shops a bone, but almost choked when they gave me the price. Does anyone know the size and length of the plug? It isn't listed on Max's fische, just the final drain plug?
Jenna

Mark105 has a pretty good idea about taking the stock plug and drilling and tapping it for a smaller screw with a crush washer and then cleaning the stock plug and hole and then assembling it with some JB Weld. My '86 R80 had a repaired drain plug for the drive shaft housing. It had been repaired with a auto engine drain plug repair kit. It was interesting that who ever installed it had ground a rounded clearance arc in the end of the replacement plug. This was necessary because the outside diameter spline gear in the final drive pinion shaft pretty well fills the bore in the square part of the final drive that the swing arm holds too. That makes tapping for helicoils or timeserts sort of problematic without removing and dismantling the final drive. No room to the tap to go. The threads on the replacement kit drain plug came out about 6 years ago. I removed it and cleaned everything up and smeared some JB Weld on the frist couple of threads of the ID thread in the housing and some of the last few threads of the plug and installed it flush with the final drive housing. I then applied more JB weld around the head head of the drain plug and the final drive housing. I let evey thing set up for a couple of days and then put about 125 cc or so of oil in the drive shaft. No leaks in 6 years and 40,000 miles. The repair plug has a 1/8" pipe plug for the drain plug. I install it with some teflon tape and things drain out fine.

Bring the bike over to the camp out at Nathan's this weekend. It would make a good tech project. Hope to see you there.

JZed
ABC 6179
SC
'86 R80
'92 R100GS
'2006 KLR650
JZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Jenna, the plug is a 12x1.5 thread and is 9mm deep from the shoulder to the end.
The threads are really shallow because of the seal carrier inside, which must be removed to change the seal.
If you can wait until after Thanksgiving, ship it to me out in the desert and I'll fix it with the proper Timesert for the staggering sum of 0. Good time to put a new seal in there too, which I can also do for you for the cost of the seal. Or send one along with it.
Attached Images

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
trophymoto
MACDADDY!

Oddometer: 434
I have taped them up to the FD drain plug size. You just need to shorten the plug a bit. Done lots this way
trophymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Jenna, the plug is a 12x1.5 thread and is 9mm deep from the shoulder to the end.
The threads are really shallow because of the seal carrier inside, which must be removed to change the seal.
If you can wait until after Thanksgiving, ship it to me out in the desert and I'll fix it with the proper Timesert for the staggering sum of 0. Good time to put a new seal in there too, which I can also do for you for the cost of the seal. Or send one along with it.
Holy crap, Robert!!! That is a really nice offer!!! I'm off work this week and thinking I may take a stab and insterting a smaller plug as Mark recommended. If I f$%k it up, you may end up with my final drive. Thanks all for your help.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #9
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZed View Post

Bring the bike over to the camp out at Nathan's this weekend. It would make a good tech project. Hope to see you there.
Yeah, I'm gonna miss it. Got friends in from SF and Chitown!!!! Haven't told Nathan yet, he's gonna be mad at me since I've not seen him in 2 months. Hope you guys have a blast!!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,904
I love the plug in a plug idea.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

what shop wanted $350.00 for this repair?

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,397
You really need to pull the seal holder out to do the job properly with a Timsert or Helicoil etc. That needs a special tool - easily made from a piece of pipe - and to heat the housing with a propane torch.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

I did the plug in a plug route on one of my first /5 bikes.
It worked great, but keep in mind, once the hole is hogged out, for the intermediate piece, that's it. you will have to keep it that way forever unless you disassemble the final drive and have the hole welded up.
Without the right jigs, I don't recommend doing the seal carrier job at home. Impact wrenching them is a little brutal in my book.
I have never had to heat them to get them out. There may come a day, but not yet.

www.wirewerkes.com
Old 11-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #14
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Damn, I have a really hard time charging anything for work I do. I can't imagine the person who could look you in the eye, and say $350

Good for you fixing it yourself, and on Robert for the backup
Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #15
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,025
The big problem with repairing the drivshaft fill/drain plugs is that if you don;t get the new threads absolutely square to the milled boss on the outer surface, it won't ever seal right. And really, the absolute, proper way to do it is to pull the pinion and seal housing, which ain't for the home hobbiest. I won't even do it myself.

But I have a couple of ideas for a home repair of those pesky threads.

Remove the rear drive and clamp it very securely in a drill press vise. Drill and tap for the solid thread insert ("timeset") and get a 3/4" end mill and touch up that milled boss so that it is now "perpendicular" to the new threads.

Or get the solid thread repair insert, drill, tap, red-Loctite it in, but leave it just proud (maybe .006-.008") of the original milled boss, so that he sealing washer will bite down nice and square on it.