Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #46
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,356

"Just some food for thought."- Here's some more food for thought- Your GS looks great!

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #47
RocketDog
Rocket Dog

Oddometer: 70
Sar

I just finished a build and by the time it was all said and done my estimated budget was pretty far off. Just curious, bike purchase, shocks, front ends, wheels tires, machine work.... etc. How is the under $1000 build working out so far?
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #48
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasthomas View Post

"Just some food for thought."- Here's some more food for thought- Your GS looks great!
Thanks.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 AM   #49
Bleached OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
I just finished a build and by the time it was all said and done my estimated budget was pretty far off. Just curious, bike purchase, shocks, front ends, wheels tires, machine work.... etc. How is the under $1000 build working out so far?
So far looking like I'll come in just about at budget. With everything so far, including the used rear shock, bearings, bike and front end, I'm in for $720. That leaves $300 or so for tires, general maintenance, sealing the leaky tank and some rattle can paint. The machine work ended up costing me materials alone, it helps to have friends with access to CNC. Without that, I'd estimate this would have taken about $1300. Still not too bad. For the exercise, it's going well and proves the point I think. If it rides well, I'll put some more money into it to make it a bit nicer.

Thanks everyone else for the info and comments.
Bleached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #50
RocketDog
Rocket Dog

Oddometer: 70
gs 500

Very cool! . Keep us posted, looking really good so far!
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #51
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,350
GS500 owner here

keep up the good work!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #52
Bleached OP
Adventurer

SV650 shock without redrilling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
The SV650 shock installed straight up without redrilling the hole gives approx. 3 inches of lift.Depending on how you set the preload and how much loaded weight,it will sag from 1/2 inch to 2 inches
ben, do you know if anyone has successfully mounted the SV650 shock without re drilling the clevis? I spent a couple of hours on the bike trying to wrestle the shock in without redrilling (I would like to maximize the lift) and I couldn't get everything to line up.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #53
ben2go
Moto Flunky

There are a few people on the GS twin site that has mounted them,but they didn't mention any problems.You may need to loosen the rear wheel to give the chain some slack, so the swing arm can drop down enough to get it in there.Or is there something else stopping it?I haven't put a shock on a GS in about 4 years.I will be rebuilding the rear end on one of my resto gs500 soon.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #54
ben2go
Moto Flunky

http://wiki.gstwins.com/index.php?n=Upgrades.RearShock About half way down that page it shows the SV shock being installed with the shorten clevis.I don't see what would stop it from being installed full length.It's late and dark or I would go out and have a look at one of my GS.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #55
Bleached OP
Adventurer

The longer clevis changes the angle of the shock and makes it interfere with the upper pivot on the swingarm. I'll give it another shot, then I'll drill it. Thanks for the feedback though. Good to know that at least a few have gotten it to work at full length.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #56
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleached View Post
The longer clevis changes the angle of the shock and makes it interfere with the upper pivot on the swingarm. I'll give it another shot, then I'll drill it. Thanks for the feedback though. Good to know that at least a few have gotten it to work at full length.
I bet those that have are beating there swing arm and shock all to heck.Maybe there's a difference in swing arms or links that I haven't discovered yet.I know the pivot on the 89 is cast aluminum,and 90+ have the stamped welded steal ones.Some people swapped the cast aluminum one in thinking it would save weight, but it's only an ounce or two.Does your bike have lowering or raising links on it?That would cause an issue with the shock.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #57
Bleached OP
Adventurer

dr350

EDIT: Nevermind, a little searching told me that the DR350 swingarm is the first thing to get upgraded on the 350.

I've got a shot at a complete but not running and beat up DR350 for very little money. Does anyone know if a 1993 DR350 swing arm will fit on a pre 1995 DR650? (which in turn is known to fit in a GS500).

Thanks.

Bleached screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 12:36 PM Reason: doh
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM   #58
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleached View Post
EDIT: Nevermind, a little searching told me that the DR350 swingarm is the first thing to get upgraded on the 350.

I've got a shot at a complete but not running and beat up DR350 for very little money. Does anyone know if a 1993 DR350 swing arm will fit on a pre 1995 DR650? (which in turn is known to fit in a GS500).

Thanks.
I'm looking for the same info.I want a swing arm that's 2 to 3 inches longer than the GS swing arm,and no more than 4 inches longer.Lets keep in contact and share notes.I know that it possible to cut down a swing arm and use different bushings to make them fit.I just need something that's close enough to make it work.I always prefer straight bolt on.The rest can be worked around.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #59
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
A common upgrade to the DR350 is the replacement of the glued together swingarm with one from a RMX250. This IIRC is the same as the 89 RM250, so this might open more possibilities to your project.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:24 AM   #60
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Bump

Any updates, I'd love to do one of these for Aussie desert trips.

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote