Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #76
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,314
If the shock gets you more travel, and ride height, why not just add an extension on the swingarm? Seems like it would be less trouble and money then going the full DR swinger route.

My GF has a GS500, she'd be really mad if she saw me reading this, but I'm thinking a gravel runner with a hack.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #77
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,330
any up dates out there?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #78
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrrally View Post
any up dates out there?
Yeah, I wanna see this Frankenstein too!
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #79
mudanddust
n00b

Oddometer: 5
more status updates and pics please!
mudanddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:20 PM   #80
Bleached OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
UPDATE! She's a roller

Well, after a long slumber, the project is alive and well. Getting married and starting a new job can apparently put the brakes on a project pretty hard.

Anyways, here it is rolling on the new suspension:

The hardest parts are done. Custom stem worked great, so did the upper bearing from TWF racing. Here is how I ended up using the yellow SV-650 shock. Some folks have reported that it could be used at full length, but I could not make it work that way. A 10mm drill bit is needed to redrill that hole. I did it clamped on a bench with a hand drill, but would recommend a drill press.

Final seat height is 34.5in with preload all the way up.

STILL have to treat the tank so it will hold gas and buy tires. Need to find a longer brake like - hoping a stock DR650 will work. That and a lot of sanding and painting. also have to lengthen the side stand.

GS500 ignition (once removed which is a huge PITA) will bolt onto the DR650 top triple at stock points. Overall, I'd rate this as a great conversion but would recommend finding the first gen DR650 front end. Apparently it will bolt right up.

Any recommendations on how to re-mount the headlight? Need some kind of circular clamp thats more stout that a hose clamp. Will continue to post pics as I chip away at it.
Bleached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #81
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
When I went naked with my Sv, then again when I switched to TLR front forks I just used some galvanized conduit hangers from home depot for like 45cents a peice, and some peices of gasket material to take up the slack/prevent scratching of the forks.

I did use four of them for stoutness, and scored some SVn sideplates, but if you have the round headlight it's probably already got sideplates.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #82
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Ended up making my own sideplates later, but here is what I managed to do with $2 u-shaped conduit straps .

[IMG][/IMG]

They held up wonderfully when I wadded it at 45mph through the woods.

[IMG][/IMG]
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #83
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,212
The newer style 02+ GS tank holds a little over a gallon more that the 1st gen.Be sure to get a NON California tank.The non CA tank only has the petcock opening on the bottom and the recessed fuel cap drain on the bottom.With those tall bars,you want have to worry with the bars hitting the tank.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:17 AM   #84
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Any recommendations on how to re-mount the headlight?
This is how my mate did it on mine - an '04 GS with DR650 forks from around the same era.

Can't say I even noticed but it looks like he added a tube. Redrap's clamps look neater and cheaper to replace.
In the old days we used to cut, wrap and pin a piece of mudflap round the fork and bolt the lamp to that. Crashproof but iirc bigger lamps wobbled.

Ch

Old 09-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #85
Bleached OP
Adventurer

rear wheel swap

Chris,

Could you post up some info on your rear wheel swap? Specifics would be great: what spacers, what axle, how was the brake fitment.... etc.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #86
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Happy to help but to keep it it all together/save doing it twice I’ve answered in full and with pics on my www here.

As it happens, once I got going back in 2010 I was put onto the English guy whose cool red GS is in your first post. He was helpful but seemed reluctant to give the specifics of his back wheel arrangement so my mate and I made it up as we went along.
Re-reading his emails (below), I think the way we did it was less complicated, certainly with less machining/welding, but his is possibly an early GS like yours?
Knowing what worked for him and for me may help you decide which way to do proceed.
I have to say if I was wanting a 17 on the back I’d just leave the GS wheel in place.

Further details on mine here.
Comms from ‘Rattenshaw’ regarding his red GS5 build:

2.****** Rear wheel, sprocket and brake are DR650.* The two spacers had to be machined from new to get the chain and wheel aligned.* The sprocket carrier, hub and caliper bracket also needed machining. Rear master cylinder is GS500.
3.****** Swinging arm is GS500 with a lug welded on for the DR650 caliper bracket.
4.****** Rear suspension dog-legs shortened to jack up the back end.
5.****** Chain idler installed to stop the chain lower run rubbing on the frame.
6.****** Chain tensioner installed on the swinging arm (recent mod) to stop chain snatch due to the amount of free play required with the back jacked up.
7.****** Gearing works out at standard with the GS500 front sprocket, DR650 rear sprocket and a 130/80 x 17 rear tyre.

Added later…
forgot to add. I doubt you’ll get a 19 in. wheel in the GS500 swinging arm From memory, an 18 in with a 4.00 in tyre wouldn’t fit. The DR650 swinging arm would fit the GS500 frame (identical bearings and identical width at the pivot end), but the wheelbase was way too long; it would have turned into a cruiser.

Chris S screwed with this post 09-16-2012 at 08:10 AM Reason: added
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #87
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,299
NOW I've seen everything!
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #88
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,212
Chris,have you found any aftermarket pegs (like IMS) that will work on our bikes?I hate the stock rubber pegs.I broke the cheap aluminum ones that everyone installs on the GStwin site.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:37 AM   #89
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

I must say I get on OK with the standard pegs and so far have not thought of changing them.
They feel too far back for comfortable standing off road but I've yet to see how much of a problem that is.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #90
Bleached OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
Happy to help but to keep it it all together/save doing it twice I’ve answered in full and with pics on my www here.

As it happens, once I got going back in 2010 I was put onto the English guy whose cool red GS is in your first post. He was helpful but seemed reluctant to give the specifics of his back wheel arrangement so my mate and I made it up as we went along.
Re-reading his emails (below), I think the way we did it was less complicated, certainly with less machining/welding, but his is possibly an early GS like yours?
Knowing what worked for him and for me may help you decide which way to do proceed.
I have to say if I was wanting a 17 on the back I’d just leave the GS wheel in place.

Further details on mine here.
Comms from ‘Rattenshaw’ regarding his red GS5 build:

2.****** Rear wheel, sprocket and brake are DR650.* The two spacers had to be machined from new to get the chain and wheel aligned.* The sprocket carrier, hub and caliper bracket also needed machining. Rear master cylinder is GS500.
3.****** Swinging arm is GS500 with a lug welded on for the DR650 caliper bracket.
4.****** Rear suspension dog-legs shortened to jack up the back end.
5.****** Chain idler installed to stop the chain lower run rubbing on the frame.
6.****** Chain tensioner installed on the swinging arm (recent mod) to stop chain snatch due to the amount of free play required with the back jacked up.
7.****** Gearing works out at standard with the GS500 front sprocket, DR650 rear sprocket and a 130/80 x 17 rear tyre.

Added later…
forgot to add. I doubt you’ll get a 19 in. wheel in the GS500 swinging arm From memory, an 18 in with a 4.00 in tyre wouldn’t fit. The DR650 swinging arm would fit the GS500 frame (identical bearings and identical width at the pivot end), but the wheelbase was way too long; it would have turned into a cruiser.
Thanks. Good info. Still not sure if I'm going to tackle that now or wait. Here's how it currently sits.... sorry for blurry pic. Almost ready for paint and a few small parts that are broken from years of falling over while stored.