Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #16
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,407
Just like with trucks, I would go domestic with the minivan, if only because they are more comfortable. I don't know what it is, but Honda and Toyota _anything_ has uncomfortable ergos for me. The seats are horrible, and I think they all tend to put your ass below your knees which is tough to deal with except for short trips.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,882
Just a little note on the side,

No small truck, nor any minivan get good fuel economy. They are aerodynamic bricks and much heavier than a small car. Weight and aero is what gas mileage is all about!

If you get over 18mpg in town and over 22 on the highway, in any of them, consider yourself either very lucky or you drive like a little old lady.

Just sayin............

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #18
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,882

No small truck, nor any minivan get good fuel economy. They are aerodynamic bricks and much heavier than a small car. Weight and aero is what gas mileage is all about!

If you get over 18mpg in town and over 22 on the highway, in any of them, consider yourself either very lucky or you drive like a little old lady.

Just sayin............

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W View Post
A minivan gets low 20's (maybe even high teens) in the real world. At least any more than a couple years old.

I got a Windstar I would trade even up for your Dodge (don't get a Windstar). None of the front wheel drive minivans have strong transmissions.
We got 24 mpg at 70 on the freeway with our 2006 T&C with the 3.8. The 2009 is delivering similar performance.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #20
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by The PacRat View Post
So far I am looking at the Grand Caravan, the MPV and the Honda Odyssey. I like the idea of easy to stow seating of the Grand Caravan. Sure looks like it will hold a lot of crap!
I think the Toyotas and Hondas are overpriced. We've gone through a series of Chrysler and Dodge minivans. They've fixed the transmissions. I could practically live in one of those things.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #21
The PacRat OP
I'm that other guy

Oddometer: 2,505
SO maybe an impromptu poll: Your vote out of these:

Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan
Mazda MPV
Chrysler Town & Country
Honda Odyssey
Ford Windstar

I like them pretty much in the order above.

Did not include Astro because I just don't care for the look.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #22
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,699
EuroVan , easily hauls bikes or people.
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #23
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
I'm vain enough that I wouldn't buy a minivan. That said there's another reason...
Back around 2000 or so we bought a Dodge Intrepid - brand new, but it had 0% financing, so it was like paying cash (plus we got it at invoice through a deal with my employer). Terrible car.

I was wandering around the showroom that day, and looked at a Caravan and a Durango. The Durango was much nicer looking, had 4wd, and the mpg rating was only slightly worse (like 5 mpg) than the Caravan.

Minivans don't get good mileage, and while they may be more practical from a hauling standpoint, I'd rather have a vehicle that I liked looking at every day, since I'm paying for it. That said, I always had a soft spot for those MPV's, before they had the sliding doors and made them more van-like. They were weird looking vehicles, but I like that sort of thing.

As far as Odysseys go, my in-laws had two. One first generation that was a great car, but was totalled when a guy jumped a median. They bought a second generation, and the transmission went bad at 102,000 miles - my MiL was extremely pissed off at the lack of quality for a Honda. They bought a Chevy Traverse and they absolutely love it. They don't need such a large vehicle (nor did they need a van) but my FiL is 6'5", and has really bad knees, so the cars that he can fit in and drive are very limited.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #24
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Just like with trucks, I would go domestic with the minivan, if only because they are more comfortable. I don't know what it is, but Honda and Toyota _anything_ has uncomfortable ergos for me. The seats are horrible, and I think they all tend to put your ass below your knees which is tough to deal with except for short trips.

+1. Our Mazda 5 is for in town commuting and trips. Its nice but was really designed for Japanese sized people. Our 04 T&C is for cross country trips. Its very comfortable for long haul driving. The worst mpg I've gotten (aggressive 80 mph) is 21. Best, with a 1000 lb. load at 70 mph was 23mpg (I was happily suprised).

Yes, I am secure enough in my manhood to own a fleet of minivans.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post

Just sayin............
In our 99 Nissan Quest (3.3 v6 4sp auto) we could see 22-24 mpg on long highway trips. Typically with the cruise set at 70 or so.

In our 06 Toyota Sienna I have caluclated a tank at 26mpg. Overall average is right around 22mpg. I've seen as low as 12 mpg pulling an oversize enclosed trailer, 14-15 pulling a pop-up camper.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
what about the vw routan? That's a rebadged Dodge/chrysler, right?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #27
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Or vice versa. But yeah.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #28
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
the toyotas are tough lil beast as to be expected with a toyota...but working on them SUCKS

me...i LOVE my 89 caravan..ive hauled loads that some would say was stupid....mind you this is a SHORT wheelbase model...i can get stacks of sheets of plywood in it with the door shut....but useualy use the rack.....ive hauled full size cars with it even my ramcharger has been on a trailer behind it......my 83 xl600r came home in the back of it...my 58 ford parts car came home behind it...

now....i have blown up a few transmissions but let me explaine.....the first one was after ALOT of burnouts the diff pin left the case..this is after all a FACTORY 2.5 TURBO..the next trans was a wrecker unit turned out to be non turbo and got ate fast...next trans was a very worn daytona 5spd...one night with my trailer loaded down the van loaded down with the suspension flat going up hill the clutch let a small part go(bad rivit) and it took the case clean out.....ive drag raced this van and have a short throw shifter in it...laugh if you want but it reallly is just a tall wide body daytona

the v6's are known for headgasket neglect on the firewall side head but otherwise they are tough vans
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #29
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,266
Data points only.

My parents have a Honda Odyssey (about a 2008?) Consistently gets 26 to 28 mpg highway doing the speed limit. (I hear about it if I get to 5mph over ) Seats are comfortable, the arm rest is stupidly low. It is a very nice highway vehicle.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Data points only.

My parents have a Honda Odyssey (about a 2008?) Consistently gets 26 to 28 mpg highway doing the speed limit. (I hear about it if I get to 5mph over ) Seats are comfortable, the arm rest is stupidly low. It is a very nice highway vehicle.
When I sold Hondas, I sold more Odysseys to old retired couples than I did to young families. They ALL got fantastic mileage and ALWAYS told me ALL about it when they were in for service.

On a serious note they were some of the nicest people I've met and I miss a lot of them.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: