Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #31
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,759
I grew up in Caravans, a 90 and a 95. Towed a little pop-up, filled it with retaining wall block, drove them all over the country. They are the only Chrysler product I would consider owning - been at it for ever and they are very well sorted.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #32
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
2005 Town & Country with the 3.3. I usually average 22-24mpg in routine short trip driving. Long trips I get about 28mpg. On one 200 mile trip with the cruise control set just over the speed limit (65 mph) I got an astounding 32.5 mpg. That's with 4 adults and luggage on board. That's not bad for a 4500 lb brick!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
the 5spds...IF you can find one can get 30mpg pretty easy on the hwy and 25 in town....i do it all the time

and yeah they are very well sorted cause they only made TINY changes over the years...from the very begining untill 96 they didnt change anything onder the skin in 96 they changed a bit but the concept and strengths they were built on didnt really change......they are WORK MULES and will take more abuse than most would ever expect....
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #34
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,804
Has anyone hauled a small bike in a minivan?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #35
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
The Astro/Safari is tall enough to carry a bike (or two if you wedge them in right). I know of several club racers that use them as their "transporter".
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #36
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
The Durango was much nicer looking, had 4wd, and the mpg rating was only slightly worse (like 5 mpg) than the Caravan.
5 mpg less than a 20mpg vehicle is 25% less. This is more than slight.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #37
I_FLY_LOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
Didn't think about minivans much either, at first.
I have a Dakota that I love to drive, but it loves gas, like a drunk loves his spirits...
I remembered my sis had my dad's old 95 Pontiac Trans Sport minivan.
My dad bought it new when I was starting college, and i drove it for a while, plus took a few x-country trips in it.
I remembered it was comfortable, roomy, and best of all, great on gas.
She wound up with it, after pops passed away in 96'.
She drove it, and did as best she could to maintain it, until she could no longer afford to keep it running.
I picked it up from her, after it had been sitting for 6 years, and proceeded to make it roadworthy again.
I put a few bucks into it, but at the moment, I still have no car note, and it runs like a dream.
I got it with 112k on the clock, and it's up to 118k, now.
It's definitely showing it's age, in the exterior department, but I ain't bitchin'.
It gets 26 mpg hwy, and around 19 in town.
It even managed to get about 18 mpg, pulling a bike on a HF trailer @ 75 MPH down the interstate.
The 3800 seems to be a great motor, and even at it's age, still will spin the tires..

Other considerations back when we were in the market were the Astro, but we couldn't get a decent deal at the lots, so we went with the Trans Sport.
I_FLY_LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #38
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Has anyone hauled a small bike in a minivan?
My buddys have hauled their sport bikes in minivans . I dont know if it would be tall enough for a dirtbike . I use a EuroVan , best setup so far .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #39
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
A quandary...

I've got an '06 Chrysler T&C with 140K miles on it,( I and the Soccer Mom previous owner do/did a lot of long distance highway miles on it). Its in ok condition, but its got some issues, the transmission is making a whrilling noise (but still works find), and its got some interior and exterior wear and tear but its still a really good vehicle and is very good at long distance traveling.

If I kept it, I'll probably wind up dropping the K frame and overhauling the engine and replacing the gearbox, plus there are plenty of farlkes I can do to this basic base model, but I'd never get any of the money I put into it out again.

Been toying with gutting the interior, putting a fiberglass pop-top on it, and building it as a low profile mini-camper van. It has about as much interior volume as a Westfallia. But, again, I'd never be able to re-coop any of the value.

Or should I just sell it for as much as I can get and then get something more appropriate?
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #40
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
A word on the stow and go seating on the Mopar vans. Don't put anyone you like in those seats. One of the most uncomfortable seats ever put in a vehicle. To make them fit in the floor I'm pretty sure they removed all padding. Also very flimsy feeling, I get the impression that the seat back would fail in even a small rear end collision.
That being said we have one without the stow and go and it has 214k on it and the engine has been fantastic. Ate one tranny, had that rebuilt with the updates and its been great ever since. 22-24 mpg and a huge ammt of space. Ninja 250 and 500 have been in there with just the mirrors removed. Drywall fits no problem. Even overnighted in it a couple of times.
If you don't care about the stigma they are a wonderful transportation appliance.
Any pics of a Ninja 250 in a Caravan with stow and go seats?
espacef1fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #41
UNISTAK
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
My buddys have hauled their sport bikes in minivans . I dont know if it would be tall enough for a dirtbike . I use a EuroVan , best setup so far .
i sold a dirt bike just last night and the guy hauled it away in the back of a chevy aveo! so it should fit in a van..
UNISTAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #42
Crocodile Tears
The 906

Oddometer: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by espacef1fan View Post
Any pics of a Ninja 250 in a Caravan with stow and go seats?
no pics, but that has to be an easy fit. My EX500 is a little baby of a bike, and it dwarfs the original 250. I doubt it would be an issue. The new one might be a little tighter.

2009 KLX250S
2005 Bandit 1200S
Crocodile Tears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #43
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,843
Sorry I just saw the request....Nope no pics. And if you reread my post I do NOT have stow and go seats. But our Grand will certainly haul the 250 and 500 just fine.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #44
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,963
I had a DRZ400 in the back of my Montana. Had to take the front wheel off. Got it in and out by myself.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #45
supervision
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
We carried 2 xr200 in astro, need to use extra strap fron axel to handel bar to colapse the forks alittle. The 2003/2005 astro are the most heavy duty an ome with 4 wheel disks brakes as well as 16" wheels, nice and tough! also full frame and no sissychops front wheel drive. if you have never had front wheel drive, beware!
supervision is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: