Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #61
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by koorbloh View Post
Lots of vans, mini and otherwise, have hauled lots of bikes.

I had a wagon when I was a kid (92 Mitsubishi Expo). Only non-pickup I've ever had. I ran the heck out of it. Hauled lots of dudes, stuff, I moved a couple times.

A minivan would suit many of my needs for hauling and even most of the towing I do.

However...

I'd feel awfully bad putting a dead critter in the back, and with a pickup, I don't need a trailer to haul a load of yard waste. Too wide? It can hang. Too long? It can hang. Buckets of crab, piles of crab pots, fresh from the salt with seaweed hanging? Dirty? Wet? Muddy? Dusty? No worries.

Also, with my pickup, I don't have to worry about too many friends begging for boat seats all at once.

Tonneau cover and a headache rack and bed extender. I can haul a much more diverse set of loads.

And with MPG's the same...I'll take the vehicle that does everything I need it to, instead of 90%
Shhh! They'll ALL want one and then where would the used market be for me?!

M
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #62
koorbloh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Shhh! They'll ALL want one and then where would the used market be for me?!

M
ha! if they all wanted small pickups, we might actually get useful ones here in the states!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #63
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodellyhoo View Post
...a cb750 I had just bought loaded into my buddy's caravan. All we had to do was remove the mirrors, I don't think we even had to lower the handelbars. We got it in by backing it up a plank (that was seated in the sliding door track) into the side door and then sliding the rear wheel on a piece of cardboard to move it around in the van so it would all fit. Tied it down to the seating mounts.
Yeah, getting a bike thru the back door can be a challenge.

Thought I'd go ahead and post up some photos for entertainment.

I use a small cargo box on top to make for more sleeping room in back while carrying a motorcycle.

A few years ago Comet, the Duc, and I went from Alaska to Deal's Gap, to Wash DC and back with no issues.

Suspension compression, windshield removal, and handlebar roll down is required to get the KLR thru the back door.

And for a grand finale, a Softail Deluxe! I'm able to load and unload all the other bikes by myself, but not this baby.
Plus, it's so much longer it has to ride centered in a wheel chock between the two front seats.

That and it weighs about 300lbs more than the other bikes. Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #64
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
I've had a few minivans, both while working as a rep in the bike business and afterward. '88 Ford Aerostar with 3.0L V6 and 5-speed manual was neat and handy but the AC was unreliable (compressor seals). '95 Dodge Caravan SWB with the Mitsubishi 3.0L cammer engine was a company car I began driving at 27,000 miles and then bought it when I left that company and finally donated it with over 300K miles on it. I put a trans in it at about 90K and another at about 180K. Replaced one water pump. Killer van that I hated to see go. Currently have a '95 Plymouth Voyager LWB with the Mopar 3.3L pushrod V6, bought at 92,000 and now has 160K+. Don't like this engine as much since it seems too sluggish compared to the Mitsu engine that was lots peppier. This one gets 18 around town and 24 on the road. The little one got about 24 all the time and the Aerostar somewhat less, but still acceptable. I hauled a Virago 750 in the little Dodge but the hatch did not close for that drive home.

I also had an '85 Nissan pickup that I bought new (the onliest ever) and sold that one with 325K+ miles on it. Went over 300K on the original clutch and got about 28MPG. I'd buy that truck new tomorrow if I could. Brought home my XV920 in that truck, so fond memories there.

Good luck with your choice. Extended-cab small pickup or minivan, it's a toss-up for me but I do not do much bike hauling.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #65
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
OP's price range was $6-7k so a lot of the suggestions are kind of out there

At that price point any of the ones mentioned here with lower miles and excellent maintenance would be my priority since you're looking at a 6-12 year old minivan with 100-165k miles on it depending on which model you go with and how its valued in your local market.
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: