User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #136
happywanderer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Pick up my BV today

Man - this was an interesting thread to read. I pick up my BV 350 today. Really never pictured myself as a scooter guy, but heck it is one sweet little ride.

Actually went into the dealer to by a 2013 Vstrom 650. ....

I'll keep everyone posted on longevity of whatnot. Prolly get the first service done at the dealer at 620 miles. Bike comes with synth oil from the getgo. Gotta love Italians.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #137
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywanderer View Post
Man - this was an interesting thread to read. I pick up my BV 350 today. Really never pictured myself as a scooter guy, but heck it is one sweet little ride.

I'll keep everyone posted on longevity of whatnot. Prolly get the first service done at the dealer at 620 miles. Bike comes with synth oil from the getgo. Gotta love Italians.
Try not to find out the longevity of the belt.

Manual says they're replaced at 20.000km.. and I know two people who
got to 12-13.000 and the belt snapped (actually typical for Italians, but
might not be that well known overseas - we're used to them here).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #138
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by happywanderer View Post

I've been very interested in the new 650 Wee-Strom too & tested one last fall. I'm also considering the BV350 & a switch to scoots as I'm 69 & would like to go lighter. The Wee is too tall for me w/o lowering & I might even need to shave the seat??? on the BV for a decent ride height???
FWIW,I have some riding buddies that ride out of the Marion,VA area & ride both scoots & MC's. PM me for the contact.
Keep me posted on your scoot impressions,thanks,Mike in KY What dealer & the price???
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #139
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Try not to find out the longevity of the belt.

Manual says they're replaced at 20.000km.. and I know two people who
got to 12-13.000 and the belt snapped (actually typical for Italians, but
might not be that well known overseas - we're used to them here).
Based on my interest in the BV & being a tour type rider why do the belts snap? I thought it was more typical for a belt in that type of service application to get narrower? My (slow speed, machine I know) Kawasawki Mule belt still looks new after 300+ hours.
Is a belt a difficult repair for a mechanic(me) while on a long ride of say 6-7,000 miles(not KM's)??? Price ??? I've seen $400+ USD for BMW MC belts recently-hope they are not that high??? Talk about a deal killer. I've read a bunch of threads & first comment I've seen on short belt life. Tires, yes but some much longer than others.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
Old 04-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #140
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
Based on my interest in the BV & being a tour type rider why do the belts snap? I thought it was more typical for a belt in that type of service application to get narrower? My (slow speed, machine I know) Kawasawki Mule belt still looks new after 300+ hours.
Is a belt a difficult repair for a mechanic(me) while on a long ride of say 6-7,000 miles(not KM's)??? Price ??? I've seen $400+ USD for BMW MC belts recently-hope they are not that high??? Talk about a deal killer. I've read a bunch of threads & first comment I've seen on short belt life. Tires, yes but some much longer than others.
What do you mean why do they snap!?

They're supposed to wear out at some point, that and the CVT rollers.
The important thing here is that they say it's good for 12.500 miles
and it lasts about 8.000.

It gets narrower over time, sure, but is usually within spec at the
6250 mile check-up, then snaps in half on your next ride.

Maybe they'll fix the quality over time, but they're more likely to
make the replacement interval shorter then make a proper belt.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #141
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

I'm not making an argument with you over belts. I value your experience-thats why I asked in the first place. I'm a 69 yr old mechanic & yes, I know stuff wears out, especially belts & you brought up the subject in a timely way, thank you. You used kilometers-trying for consistency so I stated in miles for no particular reason except that's my regular mode in America.
Pretty simple question-why do they snap? You tell me-if you happen to know.Are they crappy made, that particular CVT functions differently? You can answer with a question or you can answer the question, your choice
I really(REALLY! as they are not a rubber mfg) doubt that Piaggio makes the belts and not being scooter savy,also I have no idea if that same belts used on other machines or not? Don't they all have similar CVT mechanism? - where the belt runs? Still wondering how much $ they cost & what job it is to replace for a skilled person in the middle of a long trip? Thanks for the response. FWIW, Id very much like to see/ride your country
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #142
Cortez
BAZINGA!

They snap.. because of wear.. and they do so.. a lot sooner then
our local manual suggests it should. Simple as that.

I'd just keep an eye on it and wouldn't run it over 7 or so k miles.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #143
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 675
just passed first service and hit 1K miles with no issues. best commuting ride i've bought, and has turned the mana into a weekender. may cancel the ctx preorder and keep the mana, now, or get a street triple...
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #144
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
My 72 year old riding buddy changes the belt and rollers every 15k miles. It is 70% Interstate riding. About $100 in parts. I changed the belts and rollers on my BV yesterday. Took about an hour of easy steady wrenching and I am not a tech.
Barry
Old 04-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #145
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Post Script,

He has about 55k on his 09 BV250 and has never broken a belt. His last belt looked great at 15k but measured just a smidgen narrower.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #146
happywanderer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
My 72 year old riding buddy changes the belt and rollers every 15k miles. It is 70% Interstate riding. About $100 in parts. I changed the belts and rollers on my BV yesterday. Took about an hour of easy steady wrenching and I am not a tech.
Barry
This is good news. I do my own wrenching too. I'm not overly worried about premature snappage. I'll check it to spec at the 6250 mark and if it is narrowing, hell - for 100 ducks, I'll just plunk a new one in. Easy as pie. 100 bucks/year for a new belt. Hmmmmmm…. I can handle that easy.

Already got 90miles on it. Broke it in pretty quick and it MOVES. I mean

I never thought it would move like this. Haven't hit top speed. On a flat, I hit 91-92 per speedo at WOT and it was still climbing steadily. On a fairly steep hill I was doing 85 mph speedo and still climbing SLOWLY. I figure an actual top speed of about .. eh … 85-90 mph depending on how much I weigh that day.

Passing is a breeze too. First scoot and totally happy.

As for the seat height someone asked about above - 31 inches … shorter than the vstrom, but taller than I thought it would be. Easy to handle though as I've got a 32inch inseam. And it is so well balanced that I can hold it upright at a stop for long enough not to get a ticket without putting my feet down.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #147
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
just passed first service and hit 1K miles with no issues. best commuting ride i've bought, and has turned the mana into a weekender. may cancel the ctx preorder and keep the mana, now, or get a street triple...
Good thinking.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #148
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Post Script,

He has about 55k on his 09 BV250 and has never broken a belt. His last belt looked great at 15k but measured just a smidgen narrower.
250 is different.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #149
Cortez
BAZINGA!

It'll do 100mph indicated, sometimes more!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #150
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,296
A BV350 isn't a BV250 but....changed original BV250 belt at 9000 miles, as specified. Aside from it being not as shiny I could not tell it from the new replacement belt, no cracks, & within thickness parameters. I suppose I could have put it on some sort of stress test and see where it broke while doing the same with a new belt in order to compare - but then I'd have had to have bought two new belts. This time I am going to risk everything and move it up to 12,000 mile replacement intervals. I think I paid around $80-90 for the belt and roller replacements. That's less than a good chain, but then I've managed to get chains to 20,000+ miles.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote