ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #76
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G
 
gore-tx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
This is a dealer walk-around, not a review, and has some incorrect
information:

4:45 It IS faster up to about 60mph then the BV500 and it does not replace it.
It will replace the BV 500 here in the US.
__________________
2013 Honda Super Cub
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #77
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
It will replace the BV 500 here in the US.
Didn't realize that he was talking about it as an import choice.

It still sounds silly to say it that way, at least to me.

It's not replacing anything, the BV500 is no longer imported,
the 350 is. Would you say the BV125 was replacing the BV500
if that was the decision they made?

You COULD say that the 350 is replacing the 400, because the Piaggio
pulled the plug on the 400.

Just sounds stoopid.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 AM   #78
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G
 
gore-tx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I'm not here to talk about my scooter though, I'm just here to warn
people not to judge a scooter by the quality of promotional videos,
and think that it has to be good just because it came from Italy, where
it all started.

I won't interfere with this thread any more, sorry if I offended anyone.
Did you see in one of my posts that I actually looked at one? I think I can make my own mind about built quality based on my own observations...
I posted videos to share with other forum members so we have something to talk about.
If I had my way, I'd buy an X-Max 250 but Yamaha doesn't sell it in North America. But until then, I think it's nice to have options like the BV 350.
__________________
2013 Honda Super Cub
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #79
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G
 
gore-tx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Didn't realize that he was talking about it as an import choice.

It still sounds silly to say it that way, at least to me.

It's not replacing anything, the BV500 is no longer imported,
the 350 is. Would you say the BV125 was replacing the BV500
if that was the decision they made?

You COULD say that the 350 is replacing the 400, because the Piaggio
pulled the plug on the 400.

Just sounds stoopid.
So now you're down to semantics? Who cares how he says it! You are really nit-picking here...
__________________
2013 Honda Super Cub
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #80
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Did you see in one of my posts that I actually looked at one? I think I can make my own mind about built quality based on my own observations...
By looking at them, no one can.

By owning them or working on some of them with 10, 20, 30.000 miles,
sure, you can.

This way you're just making an assumption based on subjective stuff.
That's how I bought my Kawasaki.
What a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I posted videos to share with other forum members so we have something to talk about.
I realize that was the reason, and I wouldn't have said a word if the
guy in the video didn't miss a few of those points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
If I had my way, I'd buy an X-Max 250 but Yamaha doesn't sell it in North America. But until then, I think it's nice to have options like the BV 350.
Absolutely!

Too bad about the X-max though, even if they do need to update it
a bit, it's a bit slow with some of the newcomers in the past year.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #81
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer
 
redhandmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: People's Democratic Republic of Tarsnakestan
Oddometer: 551
Well, I appreciate the spirited repartee', but I'm lost...

So; is the BV350 a great bike, or of just so-so manufacture/quality?

Not that I could afford one.
__________________
DR-Z400SM, '68 Honda 305, '64 Honda C110, '06 Honda VT750, GTS 250ie, Genuine 150, Vino 125, Zuma 125, Yam C3, Honda Met, Tomos ST, PCX 150, Vino Classic 49...
redhandmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:42 AM   #82
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
Well, I appreciate the spirited repartee', but I'm lost...

So; is the BV350 a great bike, or of just so-so manufacture/quality?

Not that I could afford one.
It's actually too early to tell.
We just got too much time on our hands.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #83
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G
 
gore-tx's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: San Antonio, TX
Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
By looking at them, no one can.

By owning them or working on some of them with 10, 20, 30.000 miles,
sure, you can.

This way you're just making an assumption based on subjective stuff.
I think you are mistaken between built quality and reliability. By looking at a scooter/ motorcycle, you can attest of its built quality: paint, fit and finish, etc...

You mentioned your Kawasaki... Kawasaki will often have a built quality inferior to Honda. Wires not properly tucked in (like on the Versys I had), thin paint... But it doesn't mean the Kawasaki is less reliable.
__________________
2013 Honda Super Cub

gore-tx screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 07:17 AM
gore-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #84
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: West coast British Columbia
Oddometer: 380
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I'm not suggesting that Kymco is a God given ultimate choice, I'm just
warning people that Piaggio isn't as good as you folks seem to think it
is.

This attitude towards Piaggio that I see here is more or less happening
only on US forums, but even the AF1 forum is littered with issues across
Piaggio owned brands to extent that I haven't seen anywhere else.

I've ridden the BV350 and was shocked at how well it pulled and how
smooth it was, but I didn't fit well on it, even at only 5'11".

Also bear in mind that we get these scoots here a year, sometimes
two before you do and by the time you start discovering them and
asking around, looking at first pictures, chances are I've already seen
a few of them in the shops with first issues being addressed.

That's something that doesn't happen as often with other brands,
not just Kymco and Sym, but Yamaha and other brands too.
(Do you get the X-City or X-max there?)

Other then the bikes in shops, a lot of local (EU) forums, my half-sister
owned 3 Piaggio bikes in last 5 or so years. Two were actually Gileras
(Runner 50 and ST125), and the one she still has is the BV500 Cruiser
(492cc updated, twinspark engine).

That thing sounds like a can of nails going down the road.
It drinks oil, the forks are leaking, the rear shock is leaking, it goes through
belts and roller weights more then twice as fast as some other similar bikes
etc.

We're talking a 20.000 mile bike here, that even when new never
had confidence inspiring handling. And it's a newer version then the BV500
you get there (the old, 'tourer' with 460cc engine that has it's own set
of issues).

Comparing the BV350 to Downtown isn't the best comparison.. Kymco
has the People GTi 300 in it's range that's a direct competitor.

I don't know about the current US pricing, but the GTi300 here costs LESS
then the BV300 (22hp), and does 98% of stuff as good as the BV350.

It's just a tiny bit slower, but is roomier, more comfortable etc.

I just hope Piaggio quality control is doing it's job better now then before
because the new 300 and 350 SEEM TO BE better built bikes then the older
models, but it's still too early to tell.

It's even apparent on the used market here what holds it's value better.
For the price of a used BV500 you can hardly get a Yamaha X-max 250.

One thing that I'd love to have on my scoot that the BV350 has.. is the
clutch. That thing is amazing.

BTW - Are you aware that scooter sales charts in Italy, where you'd expect
Piaggio group to lead.. is filled with Yamahas and other scoots at the top?

The Downtown 300 was in the top 10 last time I looked too.

I'm not here to talk about my scooter though, I'm just here to warn
people not to judge a scooter by the quality of promotional videos,
and think that it has to be good just because it came from Italy, where
it all started.

I won't interfere with this thread any more, sorry if I offended anyone.
You're making me really happy that I have my SYM. The soon to be former Vespa dealer also sold SYM and the owner complained me more than once that once he sold a SYM he never saw it again. That was not the case with the Italian stuff. Mother didn't raise a stupid son, so I was never tempted.

If I was into high maintenance grief and expense I would still be married .
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #85
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhandmoto View Post
Well, I appreciate the spirited repartee', but I'm lost...

So; is the BV350 a great bike, or of just so-so manufacture/quality?

Not that I could afford one.
Based on reports from early adopters on MV, I see it as the best built scooter by Piaggio presently available.

I hope so anyway, the Missus and I each have one on order.
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #86
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Based on reports from early adopters on MV
The last model to come out always is.
Especially the day it comes out.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #87
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer
 
gogogordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula, So. California
Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
The last model to come out always is.
Especially the day it comes out.
Your unbridled pessimism is unbecoming.

As the owner of more than one Vespa, prior owner of a Piaggio Mp3-400, and a vocal opinionist on Piaggio USA's many missteps I have to say that I don't feel their BV350 has been typical.

That is to say I haven't heard a discouraging word (except from you) from those who actually own them....
__________________
Isn't it past your bedtime?
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #88
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Your unbridled pessimism is unbecoming.

As the owner of more than one Vespa, prior owner of a Piaggio Mp3-400, and a vocal opinionist on Piaggio USA's many missteps I have to say that I don't feel their BV350 has been typical.

That is to say I haven't heard a discouraging word (except from you) from those who actually own them....
I never said anything bad about the BV350 other then that it costs
too much IMO.

It's still too early to tell re: issues.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #89
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dabears's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta Burbs
Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I never said anything bad about the BV350 other then that it costs
too much IMO.

It's still too early to tell re: issues.
My local Vespa dealer lists BV350 as $5499.

The Vespa GTS300 Super Sport is $6399

Looking up Burgman 400s- the 2013 ABS model is $7899 (I didn't see non abs versions) although 2012 leftovers are mostly on sale for around $1000 less.

Kymco Downtown 300i- $5599.

While I respect individual preferences for different models, I get frustrated when opinions are not based on fact. I realize you don't know US scooter prices, nor which models are/aren't available. That said, dismissing the BV350 based on an opinion that is not fact based is very frustrating. You've alluded to Piaggio and Vespa being unreliable. Fine. You've made statements about poor quality. Also fine, but until you want to back it up with facts about a specific model, then please stop slamming something that a lot of folks are excited about here in the US.

The fact is BV350s are getting a large fan base and are selling well, while the rest of the scooter market seems to be only slowly recovering from the lousy economy. Whether it proves to be a reliable or unreliable scooter will be revealed over time. The folks on Modern Vespa are not indicating technical problems. These are real world owners from mostly the UK and the US. Time will tell.

As to Piaggio parts availability, I think everyone has acknowledeged concerns about Piaggio's commitment to the US and whether parts and service will be a challenge. We'll see.

Incidently, I don't own a BV350. I haven't decided what my next scooter will be, but I like to base decisions on unbiased facts, not comments by folks with a perceived vendetta against a particular brand.
__________________
Dabears

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #90
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,664
Back it up with facts?

My job more or less puts me inside every single dealership of every single
brand around the country at least once a month.

That alone is enough to get a good feel for stuff.
Living next-door to Italy helps too.

And I've worked at a scooter shop (granted, few ears ago..) for over
2 years, and seen it all there.

My half-sister owned 3 of them in the past few years, still owns the BV500.
I know more about Piaggio scooters then my own.

In-between, I've been reviewing scoots and motorcycles for a local
newspaper, had work published in motorcycle related magazines
too (local stuff).

Facts?
Only if I kept a diary, then you'd get facts daily.
This thread is too specific for that anyways.

Again, have nothing bad to say about the BV350 other then price,
and I've seen your price (it cost the same as my scoot here too)
and that I don't fit well on it, it's too cramped for me.

I love the power delivery, handling and that smooth clutch, but given
their history, I wouldn't jump on the wagon just yet.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014